Yes, and it's the sudden stop that kills you, not the fall. :P
I know my electric fundamentals. The classical Ohm's law is - U=IR. Or, if you flip it around, I=U/R. So, the higher the voltage, the more amps you're going to get - provided that the power source has it in itself to begin with. Sure, it's the current that kills you. But it's the voltage that makes sure that the current can get where it needs to. The battery of my car can release a stupid amount of current all at once. But since it's only 12V, I can hold both ends in my hands all day long without feeling a thing.
Anyways, that's what I want to find out from someone who knows what he's talking about. My logic says - disconnecting the battery will make little difference. If the bulb is off to begin with and it doesn't waste my battery, that means that there is no current flowing through it. Which means that at the very least the voltage between the bulb wires is less than the high starting voltage. In fact, I don't see any reason why there should be any voltage at all. The whole thing should be disconnected from the power source. Theoretically.
Which leaves only a capacitor that might store the lethal charge. Obviously it's only used to start the bulb, and it's either not at full charge, or is disconnected from the bulb itself (otherwise the bulb would flash and discharge the capacitor). So - can I touch it by accident? Is it charged at all when not in use? How long can it hold it's charge?
Also - any other gotcha's? I used to think that it doesn't matter which terminal of the car's battery you disconnect first (when changing a battery) until I found out that there is a reason after all. Sure - as long as everything happens as planned, all is fine. But disconnecting the negative terminal first prevents an accident (the wrench slips) from becoming catastrophic (positive terminal gets connected to the car's frame via the wrench and basically welds it in place under a nanosecond). There could be similar tricks here.