Author Topic: install a third sump pump in one pit - backup for the backup system  (Read 4620 times)

TheBeeKeeper

• Stubble
last year our basement badly flooded, so we installed a second battery backup sump pump. So far it works well, but then I was thinking what if we are away from home and the power fails in a storm, then the backup battery will last 6-12 hours.
I was going to build an alert system with float switches connected to a raspberry pi, but this will only send an email or text alert. Won't help in case we cannot respond quickly enough (travel, being in a place with no signal).

So I thought about installing a third sump pump, which would cover us in case of power failure and backup sump fail (or battery drain)

Has anyone installed three sump pumps in one pit? I think we have enough space in the pit, it's pretty big.

Will need to build a new discharge line and another GFCI outlet.
I've been looking at the SumpSpy system which has a cellular built-in alert system
http://pumpspy.com/pumpspy-battery-backup-system.html

Pricey, but a flooded basement is way pricier

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: install a third sump pump in one pit - backup for the backup system
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 10:41:02 AM »
Seems silly.   Why not just have someone check on your home while you are away?

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 10:53:12 AM »
Seems silly.   Why not just have someone check on your home while you are away?

As the "please check on our home while we're away" person for two houses that turned out to have flooded basements, I can tell you this is not a solution. It sucks for everyone involved.

That said, I think a third sump pump sounds excessive. Can you get a longer-lasting backup battery instead?

TheBeeKeeper

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 11:31:12 AM »
I will have to check if I can chain 2 car batteries to the backup pump.
One battery should last for 6 hours if it runs continuously.

This is a real issue as sump pumps and electric power tend to fail during heavy rainstorms.

After one flood I'm willing to go a long way to have backup redundancy just in case.
That flooding happened while we were in the house and we did not notice it because it started at night. The GFCI outlet tripped only in the basement, and by the time we noticed we had 12'' of water. The entire basement turned into a swimming pool. Took hours to drain it and several days to clean up.

J Dough

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 11:37:15 AM »
An alternative to the battery powered backup sump pump is a backup sump pump that is powered by the water pressure in your home. If I was going to do three sump pumps in one pit, I'd use three different power sources: 1) standard, plugged into a nearby outlet, 2) battery powered backup, 3) water powered backup.

TheBeeKeeper

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 11:46:31 AM »
An alternative to the battery powered backup sump pump is a backup sump pump that is powered by the water pressure in your home. If I was going to do three sump pumps in one pit, I'd use three different power sources: 1) standard, plugged into a nearby outlet, 2) battery powered backup, 3) water powered backup.

I feel hesitant about water pressure powered pumps. I read a lot about it, and most sources seem to advise against using it for various reasons. Does anyone here have a water-pressure activated sump pump and can chime in?

If there is a long power outage the water pressure could drop significantly too, rendering that pump useless.
I'm thinking a second battery would be more reliable

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 01:58:54 PM »
Stop.  Rewind...

What's your actual goal?  Stacking backups on top of backups just makes for a system that's less reliable and requires more maintenance...

You have a battery backed up pump - what's required to put larger batteries on that?  I'd do that before I add yet another system.

A pair of large marine batteries from Walmart will run a sump pump an awful long time.

TheBeeKeeper

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 02:39:36 PM »
Stop.  Rewind...

What's your actual goal?  Stacking backups on top of backups just makes for a system that's less reliable and requires more maintenance...

You have a battery backed up pump - what's required to put larger batteries on that?  I'd do that before I add yet another system.

A pair of large marine batteries from Walmart will run a sump pump an awful long time.

my goal is to be able to sleep at night knowing my sump pumps can handle the next torrential rainstorm.
Happens once or twice a year, and when it does my pump works 2-3 days straight. In power outage the battery will last 6-12 hours according to the manufacturer. We normally don't have long outages, but sometimes when the power returns the GFCI outlet trips.

Will be looking into chaining a second backup battery to the existing 75 Amp hour battery.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 03:28:21 PM »
my goal is to be able to sleep at night knowing my sump pumps can handle the next torrential rainstorm.
Happens once or twice a year, and when it does my pump works 2-3 days straight. In power outage the battery will last 6-12 hours according to the manufacturer. We normally don't have long outages, but sometimes when the power returns the GFCI outlet trips.

Will be looking into chaining a second backup battery to the existing 75 Amp hour battery.

Dump the GFCI, and put a larger battery pack in.  Slight risk of shocking yourself, lower risk of outlet not coming back on.

Though I don't believe 6-12 hours of runtime on a 75Ah/12V battery.  That's only 900Wh, if you drag it all the way down, and a sump pump running can easily draw 300-500W - so an hour or two of running, tops.  Unless they're using a smaller motor.

Putting a couple hundred amp-hours (don't parallel batteries of different age, you just kill everything that way) on your existing setup, and possibly adding another charger to keep them topped off, sounds like a reasonable path to go.

SweatingInAR

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 03:41:36 PM »
Do you already have an audible alarm that goes off if the GFCI outlet is 'off'?
Similarly, does the battery pump have an audible alarm if it turns on?

The 2nd pump is your backup. You should know when you are relying on your backup. The only reason to need a 3rd pump is if you are unaware when your 2nd pump is in use.

There's probably some sort of gadget that will text you when the power is out that could be plugged into your GFCI outlet.
This is pretty expensive... but something similar could be made with an android phone and tasker. (send text message every 15 minutes while not charging)
https://www.isocketworld.com/en/iSocket-PowerWatch-ISGSML707US/

I don't know anything about sump systems, but 2-3 days sounds like a lot of runtime after a storm.
Is there an obvious place around your house that the water just sits?
Does the sump discharge close to the house?

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 07:02:10 PM »
1. Get rid of the GFCI.

2. A larger battery bank... First  buy an inverter/charger like https://www.aimscorp.net/4000-watt-pure-sine-inverter-charger-24vdc-to-120-240vac-output-listed-to-ul458.html
Doesn't have to be 24v, 12v can work fine as well. Direct wire to the breaker. Hook up to batteries, and pump. Now when the power goes off, it will use the batteries, and when the power comes back on, it will recharge the battery bank, and pass through 120v to the pump. Size the battery bank for as much as you need. Keep in mind that batteries won't last forever, 4-8 years is what I budget for.

3. If you want another backup pump, you can buy a ~40w 1100 gph automatic pump like https://www.westmarine.com/buy/rule-industries--rule-mate-automatic-bilge-pump--P010947414 available in both 12v and 24v. We trust our boat to stay floating with these pumps unattended 8 months at a time. They work amazing, and standing in salt water last ~5 years, pumping every few hours on average. Much better than other, cheaper options. Mount above the expected water level. If all else fails, it will come on when it gets wet. Stopping after it runs dry, and come on again when it senses water. Of course 1100 gph might not be near enough, making this not applicable... But I have experience with this pump and can recommend it 100%. It will pump an awful lot of water with a reasonably small battery bank.

Good luck!!

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 08:43:02 PM »
This is so funny because I have gone through the exact same thing worrying about the perfect storm trifecta -- flooding rain, power outage and out of town for it. Live on the flat part of a hill so water hits my house before it heads downhill. I got tired of maintaining the 2 daisy chained deep cycle marine batteries, needing water cell checks, plus the backup booster which was to run off of car battery for third power source. I sucked it up and installed a whole house natural gas generator with automatic transfer switch to run pumps even in power outage. Best investment I ever made.

I have primary 1/3 hp pump in sump, smaller 1/4 hp backup in same hole. Have it covered to protect from radon gas, which seems to be everywhere. Then I have backup, brand new 1/3 hp and 1/4 hp pumps in case the main ones go out. I have water alert system on basement floor that beeps loudly, but can't hear it when I'm not home. Raspberry pi is good idea. Might try it out. 

TheBeeKeeper

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 07:00:42 AM »
This is so funny because I have gone through the exact same thing worrying about the perfect storm trifecta -- flooding rain, power outage and out of town for it. Live on the flat part of a hill so water hits my house before it heads downhill. I got tired of maintaining the 2 daisy chained deep cycle marine batteries, needing water cell checks, plus the backup booster which was to run off of car battery for third power source. I sucked it up and installed a whole house natural gas generator with automatic transfer switch to run pumps even in power outage. Best investment I ever made.

I have a sealed maintenance free battery, so no need to fill acid
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wayne-75-Amp-Hour-Maintenance-Free-Battery-WSB1275/100661339

The backup pump comes with an alarm, but of course, it's no use when no one is home
I'm looking into adding now a second battery to power the backup pump, and building a wifi water level+power monitor with a raspberry pi
https://www.hackster.io/babtras/sump-monitor-and-alarm-270351
The Raspberry pi and the modem+router will need a UPS

Someone here suggested iSocket, so I looked it up and found this cellular device, costs ~200$ + 50$/year for the service. Might be worth it
https://store.pumpalarm.com/temperature-power-failure-alarm-p/s-pba.htm

The automatic generator looks perfect but pricy... will look into that see if they have small units since I don't really need backup power for the entire house.

I have primary 1/3 hp pump in sump, smaller 1/4 hp backup in same hole. Have it covered to protect from radon gas, which seems to be everywhere. Then I have backup, brand new 1/3 hp and 1/4 hp pumps in case the main ones go out. I have water alert system on basement floor that beeps loudly, but can't hear it when I'm not home. Raspberry pi is good idea. Might try it out.

We also have radon cover, can't escape that in the NE :-)

Do you mean you have a set of new pumps sitting in the box in case you need to replace one?

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 08:48:45 AM »
what can you do to make the current two pumps more reliable? extra switches?/higher quality components?   annual testing?

seriously, at the beginning of every rainy season, manually fill the sump and watch each pump turn on.  You don't need more back ups if you actually know the first two systems work.  If you are nervous, test twice a year.

also, if you have two many pumps and they fight/start stop each other (in what is now an undersized sump), you are more likely to burn out motors and have potentially made a less reliable system.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 09:44:47 AM »

I have a sealed maintenance free battery, so no need to fill acid
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wayne-75-Amp-Hour-Maintenance-Free-Battery-WSB1275/100661339

The backup pump comes with an alarm, but of course, it's no use when no one is home
I'm looking into adding now a second battery to power the backup pump, and building a wifi water level+power monitor with a raspberry pi
The Raspberry pi and the modem+router will need a UPS

Someone here suggested iSocket, so I looked it up and found this cellular device, costs ~200$ + 50$/year for the service. Might be worth it
https://store.pumpalarm.com/temperature-power-failure-alarm-p/s-pba.htm

The automatic generator looks perfect but pricy... will look into that see if they have small units since I don't really need backup power for the entire house.

We also have radon cover, can't escape that in the NE :-)

Do you mean you have a set of new pumps sitting in the box in case you need to replace one?
[/quote]
@TheBeeKeeper Yes, I keep a spare set of brand new pumps. The worst time to find out that Home Depot or Lowes is out of pumps, is when you really need them. Plus, everyone else is getting flooded at the same time so the pumps sell out very quickly.

I sized the generator to run the pumps, refrigerator, pellet stove, water heater, radon remediation system, and a few outlets/lights. There is no need to have dishwasher and clothes washer on generator since they are not essential during a power outage. When hurricane Sandy hit, we lost power for 7 days so the batteries were fully exhausted. That's what convinced me to install generator.

The electrician rewired amps on the transfer switch to make sure that pumps wouldn't blow any fuses. Outlet was also mounted high on wall.

Have you taken other steps to reduce the risk of flood, ie yard grading, extending gutters?

TheBeeKeeper

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 10:20:22 AM »
what can you do to make the current two pumps more reliable? extra switches?/higher quality components?   annual testing?

seriously, at the beginning of every rainy season, manually fill the sump and watch each pump turn on.  You don't need more back ups if you actually know the first two systems work.  If you are nervous, test twice a year.

also, if you have two many pumps and they fight/start stop each other (in what is now an undersized sump), you are more likely to burn out motors and have potentially made a less reliable system.

yes, testing both pumps several times a year.
I'm currently thinking of making the system more reliable by chaining another deep cycle battery to the DC backup pump,
and adding a remote alert with a raspberry pi.
Thinking also about using a dedicated non-GFCI outlet for the main pump, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Getting electrocuted is probably worse than a flooded basement

TheBeeKeeper

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 10:28:43 AM »

@TheBeeKeeper Yes, I keep a spare set of brand new pumps. The worst time to find out that Home Depot or Lowes is out of pumps, is when you really need them. Plus, everyone else is getting flooded at the same time so the pumps sell out very quickly.

I sized the generator to run the pumps, refrigerator, pellet stove, water heater, radon remediation system, and a few outlets/lights. There is no need to have dishwasher and clothes washer on generator since they are not essential during a power outage. When hurricane Sandy hit, we lost power for 7 days so the batteries were fully exhausted. That's what convinced me to install generator.

The electrician rewired amps on the transfer switch to make sure that pumps wouldn't blow any fuses. Outlet was also mounted high on wall.

Have you taken other steps to reduce the risk of flood, ie yard grading, extending gutters?

After the flooding we improved yard grading, added a french drain on the side of the house that is lower. Things have certainly improved, but we still get a lot of water after big storms. The soil here is all clay and when the snow melts the ground is already saturated and all the houses in town get some level of wetness in the basement

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 11:53:49 AM »
Personally, I was thinking of Indio's option when I first read your post - make sure there's always power.  Just checked and it turns out Home Depot and assuredly other sites offer alarms that will use wi-fi (if there's power such as from your backup generator) to e-mail & text out warnings --- https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pumps-Pump-Accessories-Pump-Alarms-Gauges/N-5yc1vZc71t is a link to all the options.

You could probably MacGyver together a solution using a Pi and one of the cheaper water sensors.  But https://www.homedepot.com/p/PumpSpy-Wi-Fi-Sump-Pump-Smart-Outlet-SO1000/301296688 seems like what you're looking for although https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wi-Fi-Water-Watcher-Liquid-Level-Alarm-450455/206968512 could be as well.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 12:32:23 PM »

After the flooding we improved yard grading, added a french drain on the side of the house that is lower. Things have certainly improved, but we still get a lot of water after big storms. The soil here is all clay and when the snow melts the ground is already saturated and all the houses in town get some level of wetness in the basement

@TheBeeKeeper
Yes, I've got that problem too. Tried doing the water proofing paint on floors and walls. That didn't work. I keep dehumidifier running to prevent mold buildup. Everything is off the floor on pallets elevated 4 inches. If I dig out the driveway and 3 sides of the house, I could seal the foundation with tar but that would cost $15k to do. Generator was cheaper.

After doing daisy chain batteries, I considered a PV panel to recharge the batteries as a backup for those really long power outages. I had the inverter already so it would have been easy to hookup. It all depends how long the average storm power outage is in your area.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 12:43:10 PM »
Stop.  Rewind...

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/marine-and-boat/deep-cycle/bci-group-31m/sli31mdc

If you can get 6-12 hours out of the 75Ah battery, you should be able to get 8.4-16.8 hours out of a 105Ah battery. Several deep cycle Group 31's would probably do you just fine.  6v golf cart batteries are popular in the RV world -- wired properly you can get a high capacity 12v bank. That's probably the route I'd go - alternatively, consider a whole house generator with auto start and an automatic transfer switch.  That would be expensive af, though.

6v 232 amp-hour for $168.92: https://www.powerstridebattery.com/deep-cycle-batteries/interstate-batteries/interstate-u2200-replacement-battery-by-us-battery

~$340 for 12v 232Ah, or approx 3x your current capacity. ~$680 (plus wiring) for 6x your current capacity.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:50:13 PM by JLee »

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 02:54:36 PM »
Whats the cost for the 3rd pump or backups backup. Or maybe backup 2.0?

I am 100% behind you for the sleeping at night thing. NOTHING is worse then having water issues at a house when your 400 miles away.... Ask me how I know! We have security cameras in our house for our kids. Basically baby monitors, but cheaper because of the baby industrial complex.....

ANYWAYS

Maybe put the camera in the sump room? Then you could at least see it check the status? Maybe be able to read battery levels? I think our cameras were like $40 bucks and hook to wifi.

Oh but its not gonna work when your power goes out...... Well ill post anyways.  I guess it could tell you when the power was out, and when it comes back on? Better then nothing? Judging by this thread so far I hope you over engineer the shit out of this thing and come with a totally kick-ass and insane solution.

TheBeeKeeper

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 04:07:19 PM »

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/marine-and-boat/deep-cycle/bci-group-31m/sli31mdc

If you can get 6-12 hours out of the 75Ah battery, you should be able to get 8.4-16.8 hours out of a 105Ah battery. Several deep cycle Group 31's would probably do you just fine.  6v golf cart batteries are popular in the RV world -- wired properly you can get a high capacity 12v bank. That's probably the route I'd go - alternatively, consider a whole house generator with auto start and an automatic transfer switch.  That would be expensive af, though.

6v 232 amp-hour for $168.92: https://www.powerstridebattery.com/deep-cycle-batteries/interstate-batteries/interstate-u2200-replacement-battery-by-us-battery

~$340 for 12v 232Ah, or approx 3x your current capacity. ~$680 (plus wiring) for 6x your current capacity.

I think this would be the way to go. Sure I would like a gas generator, but it would be 10x more expensive than rigging a larger 12v battery.

TheBeeKeeper

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 04:12:35 PM »
Whats the cost for the 3rd pump or backups backup. Or maybe backup 2.0?

I am 100% behind you for the sleeping at night thing. NOTHING is worse then having water issues at a house when your 400 miles away.... Ask me how I know! We have security cameras in our house for our kids. Basically baby monitors, but cheaper because of the baby industrial complex.....

ANYWAYS

Maybe put the camera in the sump room? Then you could at least see it check the status? Maybe be able to read battery levels? I think our cameras were like $40 bucks and hook to wifi.

Oh but its not gonna work when your power goes out...... Well ill post anyways.  I guess it could tell you when the power was out, and when it comes back on? Better then nothing? Judging by this thread so far I hope you over engineer the shit out of this thing and come with a totally kick-ass and insane solution.

I am planning to build a wifi water/power monitor with raspberry pi

Will also add an infrared camera to the raspberry pi, and a UPS for powering the modem and router

Hopefully this + a larger battery would help me sleep better at night

If I had more disposable money, or lived in a place where power outages are more frequent, I would get a 5K$ whole house generator :-)

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 06:05:03 PM »
Stop.  Rewind...

Is there a way to comply with local code and not require a GFCI? For example hardwiring the sump pump, running a dedicated circuit for a plug in style sump pump, or switching to a 240v sump pump? (It may depend on which version of the NEC your location has adopted).

TheBeeKeeper

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 06:18:44 PM »

Is there a way to comply with local code and not require a GFCI? For example hardwiring the sump pump, running a dedicated circuit for a plug in style sump pump, or switching to a 240v sump pump? (It may depend on which version of the NEC your location has adopted).

This is certainly on my list of things to do. I'll have to get an electrician to find out what can be done and what complies with the local code. This is beyond my electrical skills..

Retyrebye50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 10:53:42 AM »
I have a water-powered sump pump and never had an issue or worry. Every two months I unplug the main sump pump from the GFCI and let the water-powered sump work for a few days on the weekend to keep it in good working condition.
Only if you ever had a water supply issue to your house (which is rare)..would you ever have a problem with this option.
Well worth the investment in my opinion rather than dealing with batteries and multiple backups/pumps.

calman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 08:15:15 AM »
Sorry that I'm late to the party. 
If you are on "city water" and not a well I'd also recommend a water backup. 
I've installed about six including one for myself with excellent results.  I use one called Basepump. 
https://www.basepump.com/products/basepump/

My main pump runs a lot and I never worry if the power goes out.

I've also had excellent results using a HydroCheck HC6000 "Hi-Lo Sump Pump Controller" with a manual pump.  No floats to hang up and no mechanical switches to go bad. There are two sensors so you can set the on/off height where it works best for your situation and to reduce short cycling.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006AU4L4U/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=A383041HQ944EK&psc=1

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!