Author Topic: How to update dated porch awning?  (Read 1887 times)

icyappraiser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to update dated porch awning?
« on: February 23, 2020, 07:49:35 AM »
Looking for some fairly low-cost ideas to update this dated metal awning over my porch. I'm not sure if painting it will be possible/do much for the appearance and removing/replacing would likely be costly I am guessing.

My only thought is to frame the edges in wood or put some sort of covering over it that appears more modern. The goal of the project is primarily aesthetics and resale value. Picture below.

Anyone have any ideas/thoughts? Thanks!

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How to update dated porch awning?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 07:17:21 AM »
For aesthetics and resale value, I would just remove the thing and put a nice white railing around the porch sides.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 07:19:07 AM »
I would also lose the two shrub trees on either side of the stairs and freshen up the front landscaping with some smaller shrubbery.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 08:13:13 AM »
IMO I'd trim up the shrubs and leave the awning. From your pic it actually looks quite charming and matches the house. For someone in the market, a dated feature like that isn't unexpected and wouldn't be a turn-off.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 11:59:20 AM »
+1 to what @Cadman mentioned.  Replace the shrubs with small flowering plants for a pop of color.

I'd also paint the steps.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 12:02:04 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 12:09:17 PM »
I'd leave the awning, paint the black iron rails/supports white to match the rest of the house trim, trim up the two shrubbery on either side of the steps to be no more than porch floor height (and agree with either taking them out and/or adding pretty flowers/shrubbery), and agree with painting the gray painted concrete steps/porch with a new coat of paint since it's peeled/worn looking.

Aesthetically, the awning is in keeping with the style of the house. Don't think removing it completely is a great idea as then you'd have no weather protection for the porch, and anything "updated" is going to be costly to replace it with. If you're selling it soon, things I'd think are important (at least to me anyway) are clean, tidy and functional.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 08:13:43 PM »
I’m on team keep the awning. Keeping rain and sun off the door and window goes a long way toward keeping them in good condition. Plus I like covered porches. I’d just clean it really well and maybe paint it. I’d also agree with trimming/replacing the bushes if you want to change the look.

icyappraiser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 07:53:29 AM »
Thanks for all the thoughts! Your suggestions sound like less work than mine, so I like that! Definitely going to paint the steps and clean up the landscaping but also like the idea of making the railing white!

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 11:33:19 AM »
def lose the awning. It sets the tone that "someone didn't update this house for 40 years and the inside is going to match that." At least in our market awnings like that are usually only still seen on probate sales.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 12:01:50 PM »
Another vote for keeping the awning. Around here, lots of houses of that age have them even after the interior has been redone, because it's so expensive to replace them. If you remove it, you'll have to replace it with some kind of roof, otherwise you'll have a scar on the front of the house and you'll have the awning support columns sticking up into space.

dougstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 01:21:49 PM »
I kinda like the awning. Painting the steps is an option but I’d personally strip the paint off and then resurface the concrete

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!