Author Topic: hooking up a blu-ray ??  (Read 2236 times)

momcpa

• Stubble
hooking up a blu-ray ??
« on: December 28, 2017, 04:21:16 PM »
We were gifted a Blu-Ray player by a relative.  We hadn't expressed a desire to have one to anyone, but now we have it.  Trying to connect it.  We have Frontier in-home Wi-Fi, Samsung TV, and now a Samsung Blu-Ray player.   We get all the way thru the set-up and when the TV/Blu-ray does "the test", we get "The HTTP port is disabled."

I am probably one of the oldest participants on the MM community site and a little 'technically challenged'.    Any off-the-top-of-your-head tips or suggestions?

Thanks.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Re: hooking up a blu-ray ??
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 04:37:00 PM »
Call the customer support # in the blu-ray manual.
Are you seeing anything from the blu-ray on the TV?
It would probably help to have the model #s of the TV and Blu-ray.

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 04:54:23 PM »
Blu-ray is Samsung  BD-J5100

TV is Samsung Model  UN40C6300SF

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 05:29:37 PM »
Have you tried switching sources a couple of times?  I wonder if the http port message is unrelated to the blueray player.  (It doesn't make sense to me that the two are related but perhaps they are)...

Also, is the TV a "smart TV"?

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 05:47:20 PM »
Used some google-fu and found the following answer that sounds like it might be relevant. Link to site

"Found the fix!

The problem was with using the automatic configuration. The router set up allows you to enter 3 DNS servers. The router is smart enough to try all 3 to resolve a domain name. However Samsung only grabs the first one from the router during auto config. If the first one is bad, no internet connection. By manually setting up the DNS server in the Samsung, with a valid DNS server, all is good. Or better yet, make sure the first DNS server value in the router are valid.

Hard part of tracking this down is the error message given by the player that the "HTTP port is disabled." Too bad it didn't say something like 'Cannot resolve domain name.'"

You may need to access your router's settings using a computer connected to the network to get the DNS server info. What is your router model?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
hooking up a blu-ray ??
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 08:10:30 AM »
Momcpa, my Hub and I are technology challenged too! I also have a Blu Ray player and it was a bitch to set up. We did call our cable provider and they helped a lot. I have long periods of time when the Blu Ray is unused and I have to put my thinking cap back on for what remote to use and all that stuff. Good luck!

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.   Some of the articles you added were ones that I have viewed also.   We've had to put on our thinking hats for this one, but I think this is where we are at.......first of all, we've discovered that the blu-ray player IS NOT wireless. (after LOTS of trying and changing settings)  We thought it was and so did the gift-giver. We've talked to a couple techs in our area and also a Geek Squad member.   So it comes down to:  running a connecting cable from our modem (east side of one room) to the tv area (west side of adjoining room).  This would mean drilling/making a hole in the floor to run it down into the basement, across the basement ceiling and back up thru a hole near the tv.  This would get the player 'wired' into our wi-fi.  Our other choice is to return the gift and get a wireless player.  (leaning towards this choice).   

I did a lot of reading on-line, tried a number of suggestions, asked some intelligent questions about the blu-ray, our tv, and our wi-fi to people who know about those things.   So if nothing else, I feel like I've educated myself a little bit. 

Thanks again and Happy New Year wishes to all.

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 01:39:53 PM »
Sounds like a wifi range extender with ethernet output might solve your problem. This would allow you to avoid drilling holes to run an ethernet cable from your modem to your blu-ray player.

Here is one on amazon, but there are others.

Since you mention you are using a modem, does it happen to be a combo modem/wireless router that you are renting from your ISP? If so, it may save you some money in the long run to purchase an inexpensive cable modem and wireless router instead.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 02:37:13 PM »
You should not need wifi to play blurays on it.  Are you trying to use other services?  ie streaming

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.   Some of the articles you added were ones that I have viewed also.   We've had to put on our thinking hats for this one, but I think this is where we are at.......first of all, we've discovered that the blu-ray player IS NOT wireless. (after LOTS of trying and changing settings)  We thought it was and so did the gift-giver. We've talked to a couple techs in our area and also a Geek Squad member.   So it comes down to:  running a connecting cable from our modem (east side of one room) to the tv area (west side of adjoining room).  This would mean drilling/making a hole in the floor to run it down into the basement, across the basement ceiling and back up thru a hole near the tv.  This would get the player 'wired' into our wi-fi.  Our other choice is to return the gift and get a wireless player.  (leaning towards this choice).   

I did a lot of reading on-line, tried a number of suggestions, asked some intelligent questions about the blu-ray, our tv, and our wi-fi to people who know about those things.   So if nothing else, I feel like I've educated myself a little bit. 

Thanks again and Happy New Year wishes to all.
Do not drill holes until you confirm it works with a cable running across the floor.