Author Topic: Home Depot / Lowe's coupons  (Read 12695 times)

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
Home Depot / Lowe's coupons
« on: January 05, 2018, 12:29:39 AM »
There are always a several handfuls of Lowe's 10% coupons listed on eBay. They usually say something like "competitor use only" or "not for use at Lowe's." What is the story here? Are they legitimate? Why do they not work at Lowe's and do work at Home Depot?

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Home Depot / Lowe's coupons
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 04:48:57 PM »
It used to be the case (and probably still is, thought a quick google says it may vary by store) that Lowes and Home Depot would honor each other's coupons.

Lowes, and I assume Home Depot too, assign unique numbers to each 10% coupon so that no coupon can be used twice. As an aside Lowes had a problem recently with coupon arriving invalid because people had figured out the pattern they used for making the coupons and used them online before Lowes sent out the coupons.

Home Depot cannot check to see if a Lowes coupon has been use and the same is true in reverse.

What has likely happened is the coupon has been used online, so it wasn't surrendered, and is no longer valid at the issuer's store. But, if competitors will price match based on the coupon it can still be used for that purpose.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 02:05:06 AM »
How is it that these eBay sellers get their hands on huge numbers of Lowes coupons? Some sellers are selling batches of 10 over and over.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 09:12:17 AM »
www.mmerson.com

You're welcome :)

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 10:09:20 AM »
I'm aware of those barcode generators. But the eBay sellers are listing physical coupons. Are they printing them on glossy card stock or are they legitimate coupons?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 11:17:36 AM »
I'm aware of those barcode generators. But the eBay sellers are listing physical coupons. Are they printing them on glossy card stock or are they legitimate coupons?

The first 10+ listings on eBay for "lowes coupon" claim email delivery in three minutes. I must be seeing different listings then..

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 11:31:07 AM »

They are likely legitimate coupons that have already been used at the store that issued them and are therefore not longer valid at that store.

However Lowe's/Home Depot tend to price match each other's coupons and without access to the other's database they don't know it has already been used and will honor it hence "for competitor use only."

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 03:45:59 PM »
Slasher, I think you're right, but the question remains: how are the sellers acquiring such large numbers of coupons? Maybe they work as a Lowes cashier and are pocketing the coupons?

JLee, I prefer to shop locally, not online, for building materials. My local HD honors competitor coupons, but does not honor email or computer printed competitor coupons. You can find both email and physical coupons on eBay.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 10:46:17 AM »
Slasher, I think you're right, but the question remains: how are the sellers acquiring such large numbers of coupons? Maybe they work as a Lowes cashier and are pocketing the coupons?

JLee, I prefer to shop locally, not online, for building materials. My local HD honors competitor coupons, but does not honor email or computer printed competitor coupons. You can find both email and physical coupons on eBay.

Lowe's has 394 more physical stores than Home Depot, if Google is correct. :P

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »

Lowe's has 394 more physical stores than Home Depot, if Google is correct. :P

That's odd. Then HD makes way more sales per store than Lowes and is way more profitable as well. I though in terms of margin Lowes would be better. They look a bit more upscale than HD - I have a Lowes near me and whenever I go to HD I always find it darker more cluttery and less clean, always though that Lowes even though targeting the same audience it would be a bit more premium.

HD is a 200B company with 105B in Sales and 10B in profit (10% net profit margin).

Lowes is a 75B company with 70B in sales and 3 B in profit (4-5% profit margin)

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 09:35:16 AM »
HD is a 200B company with 105B in Sales and 10B in profit (10% net profit margin).

Lowes is a 75B company with 70B in sales and 3 B in profit (4-5% profit margin)
That is bizarre but cool.  I always find Lowes to be about 10% more expensive for identical items, so I figured they had better profit margin.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 12:35:34 PM »
www.mmerson.com

So, i've used this site before with success: https://www.lowescoupondeal.com

But your site is free... what do i do with those codes? Can i only use them online?

Edit: Just tried one online and it says the promo code is invalid...?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:38:55 PM by Mgmny »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 12:37:59 PM »
www.mmerson.com

So, i've used this site before with success: https://www.lowescoupondeal.com

But your site is free... what do i do with those codes? Can i only use them online?

I've only tried to use them online - ordered for in store pickup.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 12:48:01 PM »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 01:06:27 PM »
Did you try generating a new one, or generating one starting with 4700?

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 01:18:16 PM »
Something else to keep in mind is that Home Depot has a secret 11% rebate program that matches Menards' monthly 11% sales.
http://blog.andrewschenk.com/home-depots-secret-11-off-rebate/

Perhaps someone here will have better luck with it than I did. Got screwed out of a couple hundred bucks due to the surly windows guy fat-fingering the entry at his kiosk. The lesser said about that ordeal, the better.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 02:09:47 PM »

I tried 47000, 50000 and "Both". I was unsuccessful in all the codes i generated.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »

I tried 47000, 50000 and "Both". I was unsuccessful in all the codes i generated.

Well that is unfortunate. I just tried as well and no luck -- it was working for me quite recently.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 02:08:39 PM »
This is a side bar but if you are a Veteran (or know one who'll go shopping with you) both Lowes and HD offer a year round 10% discount. Also both have free shipping to their stores for pick up but Lowes also has free shipping to your home for many things  if you are a Lowes member but HD charges. I find Lowes to be cheaper in general - at least on the kinds of things I would buy.

I get 10% of at Lowes for being a veteran, but not HD. For Lowes I just signed up for a My Lowes account and used my DD Form 214 as proof of prior service. I can't do that with HD. In fact their terms of service state: "The discount is offered in the U.S. to all active duty military personnel, reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families."

It sucks because I actually prefer HD over Lowes for most of my needs.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 05:07:37 PM »
This is a side bar but if you are a Veteran (or know one who'll go shopping with you) both Lowes and HD offer a year round 10% discount. Also both have free shipping to their stores for pick up but Lowes also has free shipping to your home for many things  if you are a Lowes member but HD charges. I find Lowes to be cheaper in general - at least on the kinds of things I would buy.

I get 10% of at Lowes for being a veteran, but not HD. For Lowes I just signed up for a My Lowes account and used my DD Form 214 as proof of prior service. I can't do that with HD. In fact their terms of service state: "The discount is offered in the U.S. to all active duty military personnel, reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families."

It sucks because I actually prefer HD over Lowes for most of my needs.
Yes you do need to get a Lowes My Card and give them your service info to get the discount but not at HD. Usually just showing some form of military or veterans ID is good enough.  I have a Veterans I.D. card issued from the VA (have a service-connected injury/disability) that I just show at HD and its accepted. My state (Cali) will also put a Veteran signifier on your drivers license if you show them your DD214 which would be accepted by HD and other places that give vets discounts. So maybe you can check with some local vets group and see if there is a way to get a non-VA vets I.D (or maybe the VA will issue an ID card) that HD accepts or bring in your DD214.

You get the HD discount because you are a disabled vet.

Vets who are not retired or disabled don't qualify.

Lowes extends the discount to all vets.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 10:48:57 AM »
^Opps you're right. Sorry about the misinformation @MasterStache

NP. Believe me I have tried with HD. Sometimes the cashier will just give me a discount f I mention I am a vet.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 01:02:26 AM »
The coupon generator provided by JLee does not appear to work at Lowes.com. The site is asking for a PIN from the back of the coupon so maybe they are cracking down.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 01:31:14 PM »
The coupon generator provided by JLee does not appear to work at Lowes.com. The site is asking for a PIN from the back of the coupon so maybe they are cracking down.

Yeah, it seems they have caught on.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 10:00:03 AM »

Yeah, it seems they have caught on.

I used to use a couple different sites with the coupon generator. Those have since fallen by the wayside as well. Lowes is really cracking down. They have scaled back on their cashback through some (most?) of the portals as well.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 05:14:18 AM »
hugeoff.com still has Lowe's and HD coupons.  I've used them a couple times when we've had big appliance purchases. 

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 11:39:33 AM »
Lameeee

I have always just used their CC for the 5% for store purchases. But adding a coupon on top is always helpful.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 12:28:54 PM »
In the past, when I've had large purchases at Lowe's or Home Depot, I've been able to buy gift cards at about 10% discount to face value. Too much hassle most of the time, but when you're about to drop $500 bucks, it can be worthwhile.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 09:57:05 AM »
www.mmerson.com

Do you use this at self-checkout, then?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 10:05:12 AM »
www.mmerson.com

Do you use this at self-checkout, then?

Order online and pickup in store. That site stopped working a while back - not sure if the coupons work again yet.