Author Topic: *  (Read 2356 times)

crispy

« on: July 22, 2018, 04:48:43 PM »
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 11:02:09 AM by crispy »

px4shooter

• Stubble
Re: Has anyone painted vinyl siding?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 07:03:11 PM »
Thorough cleaning with a pressure washer then a wipe down, and consider a light sanding to create a texture for the paint to adhere to.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 07:35:49 PM »
Talk to Sherwin williams about prep too. They've never given me bad advice yet, and if I'd asked them about something last year, I wouldn't have to repaint half my living room now.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 09:00:43 PM »
I recently read a thread on Biggerpockets asking about painting vinyl siding and the general response was negative.  Every said it was best to avoid it.  The paint doesn't adhear well I think was the main problem, and will blister and peel. 

I was surprised to hear it because I've had great results painting aluminum siding.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 12:53:11 AM »
I recently read a thread on Biggerpockets asking about painting vinyl siding and the general response was negative.  Every said it was best to avoid it.  The paint doesn't adhear well I think was the main problem, and will blister and peel. 

I was surprised to hear it because I've had great results painting aluminum siding.

Generally it's negative because one of the main advantages of vinyl is not having to paint it. Once you paint it, you'll have to paint it recurringly.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 02:30:28 AM »
It is the expansion and contraction of the siding due to temperature. The paint can't strech like it need to, so it flakes off. This does not happen as much to aluminum.

Siding is super cheap and easy to replace.

So yes I vote for a through cleaning or replacement. Paint would only look good for a year or two.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 08:04:37 AM »
I've never seen a good paint job on vinyl.   Paint tends to pop and flake off, scratches off very easy.
Clean it up and live with it as is, or replace the siding.

crispy

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 12:24:24 PM »
Our original plan was to replace the vinyl in this area, but unfortunately, the blue/gray vinyl butts up against the tan color and we haven't been able to find a match so replacing this small area of vinyl means replacing all the vinyl. We plan to spend money in a few years on revamping the entire exterior, but right now we are looking for something to improve the curb appeal in the short term.  I wouldn't consider painting the vinyl siding if most of the house was covered in it, but I am hoping we won't have a lot of problems since the area is so small and covered so it isn't exposed to full sunlight.

We will buy the Sherwin-Williams vinyl paint and the color is lighter than what is currently there which should prevent warping. I am really most concerned about the contraction issues. Should we just hold off painting until cooler weather or is there a way to paint now that will handle these expansions and contractions?

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 12:54:27 PM »
The only permanent solution to colouring vinyl is a dye. Paint won't adhere well, and will have issues with expansion and contraction as mentioned above.

If you were so inclined(crazy?) you could remove all the siding, and create a giant dye bath. You'd need something large enough to soak the siding in. Thoroughly mix in a fair proportion of acetone to soften the vinyl and then add a UV color fast dye. You'd of course want to test your dye times and proportions ahead of time to know the amount of time you needed to achieve the shade you want.

Or you could just buy new siding.

crispy

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 01:18:59 PM »
The only permanent solution to colouring vinyl is a dye. Paint won't adhere well, and will have issues with expansion and contraction as mentioned above.

If you were so inclined(crazy?) you could remove all the siding, and create a giant dye bath. You'd need something large enough to soak the siding in. Thoroughly mix in a fair proportion of acetone to soften the vinyl and then add a UV color fast dye. You'd of course want to test your dye times and proportions ahead of time to know the amount of time you needed to achieve the shade you want.

Or you could just buy new siding.

Your sarcasm would be more amusing if your information was correct. As I mentioned, we are not looking for a permanent solution, but want something that will look nice for a few years. There are paints produced specifically for vinyl siding.  I am just asking for information and tips on how to do it the best way possible.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:37:39 PM by crispy »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 02:39:14 PM »
I would look into Rhino Shield as opposed to paint. And it has a 25 year warranty

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 07:52:56 PM »
I would look into Rhino Shield as opposed to paint. And it has a 25 year warranty

I don't know what colors Rhino Shield is avaliable in, but that reminded me of Plastidip.  It adhears to plastic well and I know the spray cans are avaliable in a wide range of colors.  I don't know how many colors are avaliable in buckets. 

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 01:58:18 PM »
You can certainly get paint to stick to vinyl, but the prep and painting would be a lot more work than just replacing it.  Last I looked, the usual 12' vinyl strips were 7 bucks each at Lowes.  They take like a minute each to nail up.

There's a reason vinyl is (unfortunately) America's #1 siding choice! 

mankyle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 12:57:19 PM »
I haven't used it on siding, but we did repaint our vinyl shutters with the Sherwin Williams paint you are talking about.  We actually used a darker color but really cleaned them well before starting and followed the advice from the Sherwin Williams store.  I forget exactly the steps because it was over 5 years ago but our shutters still look great.  Honestly, I think alot of issues people have is not using the proper paint and not prepping properly.  The Sherwin Williams paint is designed to flex and if you prep properly it should adhere well.

So, I would say go for it.  If it peels in a few years then you may have to replace but my guess is that if you do it right, it will last longer than that.

crispy

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 05:29:59 PM »
You can certainly get paint to stick to vinyl, but the prep and painting would be a lot more work than just replacing it.  Last I looked, the usual 12' vinyl strips were 7 bucks each at Lowes.  They take like a minute each to nail up.

There's a reason vinyl is (unfortunately) America's #1 siding choice!

Once again, that doesn't help because we can't match the other vinyl on the house so it is a matter of replacing everything...soffits, overhang, trim, etc. That will cost a few thousand.

Anyway, we read everything we could get our hands on and cleaned, prepped, and painted the porch area this week with the Sherwin Williams Duration paint for vinyl siding. It looks great and the match is almost perfect. If we can get a couple of years out of it, I will be happy.