Author Topic: handle for toilet tank  (Read 3181 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
handle for toilet tank
« on: July 25, 2013, 08:17:09 PM »
I think I can see what needs to be done, but feedback from those who have already been through this would be nice - what unforeseen problems should I be aware of?

The situation is, the plastic rod, that has an end that screws to the inner part of the toilet handle, broke.  So the handle just hangs there, and the rod, which attaches to the chain that lifts the flapper, no longer has any connection to the handle.

I am guessing that I can buy a replacement handle-rod part at a hardware store and just replace that whole part.  Should I get a new chain as well?  The present one looks fine, and the flapper is also fine.  Are there variations on the theme, so to speak, so that a replacement might not fit?  I am guessing I should take the parts with me?

Any feedback would be appreciated - this is way to simple (I think) not to do it myself.  And it's not urgent, in that a bucket of water makes a perfect flush without the mechanism working, so I don't feel pressure to get this done right away, I just want to get the right parts the first time.

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions.

auzzman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: handle for toilet tank
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 09:38:46 PM »
Any local plumbing shop should offer a cheap replacement, I'm not 100% sure a home depot or lowes would have it. Definitely bring the parts with you to make sure. Internals like this are usually made to be universal unless you have some off the wall, expensive toilet. Piece of cake! Good luck

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 01:38:01 AM »
Yep. Any hardware store (big boxes included) will have exactly what you need. Parts will be cheap and the whole assembly just screws together into the tank. No need for a new chain and flapper if the current one is working. It should be a pretty quick and easy fix.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 07:38:26 PM »
Big box store (Rona) had lots of choices.  It is replaced, works fine. I wish all repairs were this easy!

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 10:56:44 PM »
I wish all repairs were this easy!

Don't we all!

drg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 08:27:33 PM »
I did this repair when I was a 16 year old girl.  My ex-boyfriend's dad wanted to call a plumber!

MoneyLifeandMore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Life and More
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 09:04:55 AM »
Definitely an easy fix. Do a quick search on YouTube and head to a Home Depot or Lowe's to save a ton of money!