Author Topic: Getting tires changed - do you guys keep/sell your old ones?  (Read 3236 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Getting tires changed - do you guys keep/sell your old ones?
« on: September 05, 2017, 05:22:56 PM »
Hey all,

I'm getting a new set of tires on my car tmrw or Thurs at America's Tire and am debating whether or not to keep a couple that still have a good amount of tread left. The front pair are definitely worn down too much to bother. Is it worth it for trying to resell? Or should I just get rid of them all?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Re: Getting tires changed - do you guys keep/sell your old ones?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 11:12:57 PM »
Get rid of them.

Oh - and here's a nice facepunch for not rotating your tires and allowing them to wear unevenly.  Going forward, have this new set rotated according to your cars specs (5k is easy to remember and do with oil changes).

Yea... I was bringing the car into mechanic for regular checks but I never kept fully on top of whether he was rotating and balancing the tires. I think I was assuming he would just do them because he said he would rotate/balance the tires for free since I bought them through him initially. But stupid me never factored that into "oil changes" when I brought the car in. I guess I have to request it specifically if I get tires from him moving forward.... Since I'm getting them from America's Tire this time, I'll just schedule the rotation/balance around the same time I do the oil changes.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:03:26 AM »
If you have the room to store one in your garage or at home, I always keep the best tire, buy a used rim at my local junkyard to mount it on and have a full sized spare for emergencies. I hate driving on donut spares and it always seems like my flat tire happens on Saturday nights.  It has come in useful more than once.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 08:38:08 AM »
In NC (maybe just the Raleigh area?), they charge you a tire disposal fee, something like $7 a tire.  Fuck that.  I take them to the dump myself. 

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 08:46:22 AM »
In NC (maybe just the Raleigh area?), they charge you a tire disposal fee, something like $7 a tire.  Fuck that.  I take them to the dump myself. 

LOL, yea in CA I think it's $2 a tire.

If you have the room to store one in your garage or at home, I always keep the best tire, buy a used rim at my local junkyard to mount it on and have a full sized spare for emergencies. I hate driving on donut spares and it always seems like my flat tire happens on Saturday nights.  It has come in useful more than once.

I actually have a tire still mounted on the back of the Rav4 - pretty sure it's a new tire too and with a rim. How do you even mount a tire yourself? Seems pretty labor intensive.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »
Space saver spares are ONLY intended to get you to the nearest place that can replace your tire ASAP..

I had a flat not long ago.  Of course, the tire the nearest dealer had that would fit my car was not the same tire that had the flat.  Once I got home with the non-matched tire, I called around for the right tire.   I kept the mis-match tire because it has very few miles on it, and it could give me time to find another matched tire if I ever need another one.

And I rotate my own tires.  I have a floor jack, jack stands (I only use one for this) and a 'speed wrench' with a socket that fits my lug nuts which makes it quick and fairly easy to do.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 01:44:08 PM »

I actually have a tire still mounted on the back of the Rav4 - pretty sure it's a new tire too and with a rim. How do you even mount a tire yourself? Seems pretty labor intensive.

Like Bender said, there isn't a safe way to do it yourself. My local junkyard charges $5 for a nice steel rim and for another $5, they will mount and balance another tire on it so generally, I'm out ten bucks one time during the life of the car and have a full size spare.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 01:54:57 PM »
keep the 2 good ones and sell them on CL!
I got $100 for a pair from my van.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »
keep the 2 good ones and sell them on CL!
I got $100 for a pair from my van.

This is what I was thinking - I just didn't know how popular it is for people to buy tires off CL, etc especially in my area. I could hang onto them but they may end up becoming deadweight in my garage and also take up space for who knows how long....