Author Topic: Getting rid of the LP vinyl records  (Read 29817 times)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
Getting rid of the LP vinyl records
« on: December 02, 2013, 06:32:54 PM »
I'm seeking a cost-effective way to rid myself of 118 records:  all of them 33&1/3 RPM long-playing vinyl.  (That's nearly two full egg crates.)  The "worst case" would be walking them out to the trash can Goodwill and taking a $499 tax deduction.  However while I may be financially independent, I'd still kick myself if I found one of my Led Zeppelin albums appraised on Antiques Roadshow for $40.  Their retail ("collector") value could make a difference when donated to a food bank or a homeless shelter.

The records are your typical consumer schlock.  I bought them from the 1960s-80s, played them a few dozen times, eventually recorded them to cassette tapes, and then spent decades lugging them from house to house.  Three of them were apparently never opened and are still shrink-wrapped.  They're mostly classic rock with a sprinkling of pop-- and a few odds & ends like "Sound Effects Volume 7" or Tijuana Brass.  They're in "good" shape, maybe even "better".  All of them have been in their paper sleeves since the 1980s.

If I sell them to a Mainland buyer, shipping damage is a big concern.  Is there a reliable way to send these to eager eBay buyers through USPS or UPS?  If not then I'd work through our Oahu Craigslist or a local indie records store. 

Any recommendations on assessing their value?  I want to have a vague understanding of my inventory before it's inspected by a sharp-eyed records clerk.  I could build a spreadsheet, especially if there's a website that will help me build a list based on their appraisals.  I appreciate eBay's completed auctions, but are there any other sites dedicated to figuring out the resale value? 

Heck, I'd even exchange them for an iTunes gift card.

I doubt there's a market for a 1980s Technics direct-drive turntable or a Pioneer receiver.  Those are going straight to Goodwill or our next e-waste recycling pickup.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Getting rid of the LP vinyl records
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:22:15 PM »
Vinyl is experiencing a resurgence of popularity with the kids. :)

My husband collects vinyl, and we've got several local record shops that are generally pretty busy whenever we go in. I'd suggest checking out your city and seeing if there are any stores that you could take your collection in to see what they'd be interested in.

The big sellers are going to be the popular or influential bands/artists. I'd pull out anything like that and google to get a basic range. There are pricing guides out there like Goldmine, so you could check the library, but otherwise you'd have to check the web and ebay.

Your best return on these would be selling through ebay or the like, but that would mean you'd need to ship.
This guide is great for shipping albums: http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-securely-pack-LP-record-albums-for-shipping-/10000000011707007/g.html
The biggest thing is to make sure the album is square in the package with no slipping around and then cushion the interior with bubblewrap or foam inserts. My husband said that a form-fitting cardboard envelope around the album, then placed inside a slightly larger package with bubblewrap or peanuts is the best method he's seen with his packages, but that might be overkill (but VERY little chance of damage that way).

If you do just take them in, check the store reviews for anyone else selling before you head over, and you might want to even call and ask them what they're interested in, and you'll probably get a decent offer if they are looking for what you've got. But we're talking a good amount of time of slogging through 100+ records, checking condition and googling for hours and then haggling - which most record stores won't do unless it is a really rare pressing... so your return on the time may not be that great unless you've got something really great.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:28:04 PM »
I did the same thing about 10+ years ago... Probably 150ish albums of the same era.  A friend's daughter was a budding guitarist and interested in 70s music.  I gave her the whole lot in exchange for her (manually) ripping them to mp3s.   I'm still waiting on the mp3 rips.  ...but I still think it was the right decision.  I wasn't using them.  She did.

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 10:42:48 PM »
Call your LPs by major artists about 3-5 bucks a piece, and a dollar a piece for the remainder.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 04:55:42 AM »
Craigslist could work too.  If you're not willing to take the time and sell them on ebay individually, then you'll have to take a hit on the total value. 

I talked about selling records on ebay here on my blog:
http://flippingadollar.blogspot.com/2013/10/beastie-boys-licensed-to-ill.html?m=0

As a general rule of thumb, rock bands like Zeppelin are going go sell for a lot more.  Might be worth it for you to go through and list each one out and look for any that are worth a big buck.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 09:46:33 AM »
Cost-effective: try freecycle.org, there may be one on the island.  I bet you can find a taker for the tuner and turntable if you look.  Even a flyer at your local co-op would work, young people love this vintage stuff.

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 01:34:53 PM »
put them on discogs.com

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'll look at those sites.  I guess a spreadsheet is worth the trouble after all-- a couple hours of work for a summary that a buyer can easily scan.

Call your LPs by major artists about 3-5 bucks a piece, and a dollar a piece for the remainder.
If I get that offer from an indie shop then I'll take it.  Minimal effort & max results.

Craigslist could work too.  If you're not willing to take the time and sell them on ebay individually, then you'll have to take a hit on the total value. 
I talked about selling records on ebay here on my blog:
http://flippingadollar.blogspot.com/2013/10/beastie-boys-licensed-to-ill.html?m=0
As a general rule of thumb, rock bands like Zeppelin are going go sell for a lot more.  Might be worth it for you to go through and list each one out and look for any that are worth a big buck.
I've done my share of eBay transactions, and I shudder to think of 100+ pack&wraps.  Maybe it's worth it for a couple dozen of them, or at least a negotiating tool with the record shop.  I'll look into the packaging with a wary eye on Hawaii postage rates.

Cost-effective: try freecycle.org, there may be one on the island.  I bet you can find a taker for the tuner and turntable if you look.  Even a flyer at your local co-op would work, young people love this vintage stuff.
Our local freecycles are ineffectively moderated and I've encountered too many whackos.  However if these have some value then I'll try them on Craigslist electronics or for free.  Worst case is curbside pickup.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 01:09:55 AM »
Is your Technics turntable a Technics SL-1200? If so they're the go to turntable for DJing and can sell for upwards of $400.

Do you have any friends or children interested in taking some of the vinyl of you hands? I'd at least let them pull out anything they wanted, and then look at disposing the rest of them, rather than forcing them o take the whole lot.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:12:23 AM by gooki »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »
Is your Technics turntable a Technics SL-1200? If so they're the go to turntable for DJing and can sell for upwards of $400.
No, it's a SL-QL5.  Literally 1980s tech, back when it was cool to attach the needle to the cover so that you could lower both over the record at the same time.  Direct drive of the turntable, no belts to "slip" or "go bad".

Holy freakin' crap.  These are selling on eBay for $100.  That's ridiculous.  I might even have the original shipping box in the attic, still with a dozen military moving stickers on it.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=technics+SL-QL5&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Yikes.  I guess I need to see if the turntable even works any more.  It hasn't been used during this millennium.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 11:35:52 AM »
We carried three milk-crates of vinyl to a reputable record store in Chicago around three years ago. They bought somewhere between zero and three records (I don't remember) and didn't want anything else. What she said was that the hit music basically has no value, because they made millions of those records and supply is quite good on them. Many of the ones I carried in had damaged coveres and scratches, though. You might do better if yours are in perfect condition.

Conveniently, there was a thrift store for some charity next door and we walked them all over there and donated them. I don't even know what charity it was. Name was something about an elephant I think.... OK, Googled, it was in support of a LGBT health center.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:56:23 AM by ritchie70 »

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 02:19:29 PM »
I just lugged two boxes of records from my parents basement to Half Price Books. They buy what they can resell and repurpose whatever else you bring in. There were 78s, 45s, regular albums- Pat Boone anyone? I got $16. I'm mostly just happy to help declutter my parent's place.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 02:52:22 PM »

I think you have it backwards

We carried three milk-crates of vinyl to a reputable record store in Chicago around three years ago. They bought somewhere between zero and three records (I don't remember) and didn't want anything else. What she said was that the hit music basically has no value, because they made millions of those records and supply is quite good on them.

This was more my experience.  Perhaps it's counter-intuitive, but the best most popular albums, a la Led Zeppelin, aren't worth much unless they're in pristine condition as million upon millions of these sold so they're pretty easy to find.

The ones that are worth the most are the older jazz stuff that had limited pressings.  Those are still in high demand from collectors.  If it's all popular rock music, I think a $500 tax deduction is worth way more than your collection.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 06:58:42 AM »

I think you have it backwards

We carried three milk-crates of vinyl to a reputable record store in Chicago around three years ago. They bought somewhere between zero and three records (I don't remember) and didn't want anything else. What she said was that the hit music basically has no value, because they made millions of those records and supply is quite good on them.

This was more my experience.  Perhaps it's counter-intuitive, but the best most popular albums, a la Led Zeppelin, aren't worth much unless they're in pristine condition as million upon millions of these sold so they're pretty easy to find.

The ones that are worth the most are the older jazz stuff that had limited pressings.  Those are still in high demand from collectors.  If it's all popular rock music, I think a $500 tax deduction is worth way more than your collection.

You're right that the condition really matters, but the rock ones are in right now.  But it's really hard to tell which is worth just $20 or which is worth a couple of grand because they pressed the records so many damn times.  If you're not used to researching them, you'll have to do a lot of footwork to be sure of what they're worth.  Just look at this completed listing search: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=rock+lp&_sop=16

Some people that I've never heard of are going for a couple grand.  Ridiculous!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 10:50:51 PM »
I finally finished running all the records through eBay's completed auctions.  Most of the albums would retail for $3-$5, although the Led Zeppelin ZOSO album is up there at $20 and the Van Halen debut album (unopened) seemed to fetch around $15.  I don't think it's worth the effort to list them and then pack&ship.

I've checked for local Craigslist buyers and sent out a couple of e-mails.  We also have a couple of local used record shops (Jelly's and Hungry Ear) willing to buy LPs.

Side note for you military veterans:  I was surprised to discover that the AFRTS limited-distribution records are such collector's items.  Submarines used to have Navy Motion Picture Service three-reel film movies (later VHS videos) and it was considered a UCMJ violation to mess with them.  "Losing" them required a JAG investigation to document that they weren't pirated, even if they were accidentally dropped over the side.  But I guess a few AFRTS records somehow slipped through the cracks at the radio stations...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:55:07 PM by Nords »

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 07:00:11 AM »
I finally finished running all the records through eBay's completed auctions.  Most of the albums would retail for $3-$5, although the Led Zeppelin ZOSO album is up there at $20 and the Van Halen debut album (unopened) seemed to fetch around $15.  I don't think it's worth the effort to list them and then pack&ship.

I've checked for local Craigslist buyers and sent out a couple of e-mails.  We also have a couple of local used record shops (Jelly's and Hungry Ear) willing to buy LPs.

Side note for you military veterans:  I was surprised to discover that the AFRTS limited-distribution records are such collector's items.  Submarines used to have Navy Motion Picture Service three-reel film movies (later VHS videos) and it was considered a UCMJ violation to mess with them.  "Losing" them required a JAG investigation to document that they weren't pirated, even if they were accidentally dropped over the side.  But I guess a few AFRTS records somehow slipped through the cracks at the radio stations...

Definitely depends on the band. As with most other LPs, hard rock = better.  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=AFRTS&_sop=16

Sucks that yours aren't worth a ton. Other option would be to do a lot. You'd be able to ship it media mail which is a cheaper rate than Priority, so you'd have that going for you. CL or record shop (might only give store credit) aren't bad options either.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 11:55:46 PM »
Holy cow, this thread is over 18 months old.  I guess I didn't rush into anything.

We've been back from our Spain trip for a few months, and our closet of "To Be Donated To Goodwill" was filling up.  While we were sorting that pile, I pulled out the LPs and called Hungry Ear Records.

The owner was friendly yet professional.  I cooled my heels in a local coffee shop for a half-hour while he went through the inventory, and he offered $125 for the lot.  I accepted that without haggling, and he threw in $1.50 validated parking. 

After the sale he said he usually offers less because people's records are in bad shape.  He was surprised to hear that ours had been in storage for 25 years.  (In our tropical climate that usually involves silverfish and mold.)  He has a list of collectors, and of course he gets a lot of pedestrian traffic.  He figures that it'll take him several months to sell most of them (at $2-$15 each) and he'll barter or donate the rest.  He's expecting to double or triple the money he paid me.  He'll work for it, too!

I'm happy to have them out of the house, and it was a lot less labor than eBay. 

Most of the $125 will be spent on two surfboard repairs to fin boxes. 

Next up on the cleanout list:  power up the Pioneer Technics turntable and see if it's a system or just parts.  I'll sell it on Craigslist.

the_fella

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 11:06:23 AM »
You should definitely post the albums you have. Then send the good ones to me.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 12:07:56 PM »

I can answer this one for you Nords.  Here's a list of albums that he has now:

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 07:11:59 PM »
Yeah, um, too late.  I'm not sure you read the post correctly.

I can answer this one for you Nords.  Here's a list of albums that he has now:
Exactly, and I'm happy to have that cubic volume back in the house too.

The Hungry Ear's business model seems to be to buy at about $1 and resell at $3-$5.  His challenge is figuring out how many of those 118 LPs are going to sell at all or end up in Goodwill.

The turntable spins (the first time it's been turned on in ~25 years) and it's probably spinning at the correct speed, but I suspect it's going to need a new needle.

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 08:35:32 PM »
Is your Pioneer receiver one of those classic silver faced ones? They are quite the find. Pioneer went downhill not long after that.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 08:51:19 PM »
Is your Pioneer receiver one of those classic silver faced ones? They are quite the find. Pioneer went downhill not long after that.
I think my spouse bought it in 1984. 

Here's a bunch of eBay photos:  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=technics+SL-QL5&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc .  That link lists the completed auctions, so hypothetically that's the price people paid.

The needle cartridge mechanism is attached to the turntable cover, and it's completely hands-free.  You put the record on the turntable, lower the lid, and press "Start" or "Stop".  It also has a "Cueing" button, so there must be a laser or photocell that seeks out the gaps in the tracks.  I have no idea whether needles are still available for turntables of this age, but Hungry Ear had an ad on their wall for their needle sales.

And now in our house it's all being replaced by iTunes and iPods.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 01:57:24 PM »
I converted all our vinyl to mp3 files, using Audacity.  One side became one file.  End result was being able to put all my wife's favorite albums on one disk for her to listen to throughout the day.  She appreciated this greatly and still listens to it.  No changing LPs, etc.  I also converted all our cassettes to mp3 files with the same results.

Then I sold the LPs on eBay for up to $50 for one LP.  Most went for $3 plus shipping.  Cassettes went to our local thrift store as a donation.  I sold the cassette player, but kept the record player for a reason I don't fully understand yet.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 05:13:57 AM »
Holy cow, this thread is over 18 months old.  I guess I didn't rush into anything.

We've been back from our Spain trip for a few months, and our closet of "To Be Donated To Goodwill" was filling up.  While we were sorting that pile, I pulled out the LPs and called Hungry Ear Records.

The owner was friendly yet professional.  I cooled my heels in a local coffee shop for a half-hour while he went through the inventory, and he offered $125 for the lot.  I accepted that without haggling, and he threw in $1.50 validated parking. 

After the sale he said he usually offers less because people's records are in bad shape.  He was surprised to hear that ours had been in storage for 25 years.  (In our tropical climate that usually involves silverfish and mold.)  He has a list of collectors, and of course he gets a lot of pedestrian traffic.  He figures that it'll take him several months to sell most of them (at $2-$15 each) and he'll barter or donate the rest.  He's expecting to double or triple the money he paid me.  He'll work for it, too!

I'm happy to have them out of the house, and it was a lot less labor than eBay. 

Most of the $125 will be spent on two surfboard repairs to fin boxes. 

Next up on the cleanout list:  power up the Pioneer Technics turntable and see if it's a system or just parts.  I'll sell it on Craigslist.

Honestly, you should be really happy about that. You got rid of something that you were spending mental energy on (even if it was minimal). Plus, the record guy is going to appreciate the records and will get them to someone who wants them.

Totally worth it!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 05:42:13 AM »
Good grief!!!

I am getting rid of a similar number of records (around 150 - 200). I have just looked at three artists, selected at random, that I have several records of - $29-$40 for the first (series of 5 records I have, being sold individually), $18 - $20 for the second (most common artist I own), and $20+ for the third (series of I don't know how many records of which I have 10, being sold individually). I thought they were worth nothing. They WERE all going to goodwill. Maybe I should rethink this.

I just looked up the two record set of the most popular artist I own - $99 - by crikey!! Obviously I have expensive tastes (or maybe my purchases wear well).

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 12:46:10 PM »
I think my spouse bought it in 1984. 

Here's a bunch of eBay photos:  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=technics+SL-QL5&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc .  That link lists the completed auctions, so hypothetically that's the price people paid.

The needle cartridge mechanism is attached to the turntable cover, and it's completely hands-free.  You put the record on the turntable, lower the lid, and press "Start" or "Stop".  It also has a "Cueing" button, so there must be a laser or photocell that seeks out the gaps in the tracks.  I have no idea whether needles are still available for turntables of this age, but Hungry Ear had an ad on their wall for their needle sales.

And now in our house it's all being replaced by iTunes and iPods.

I think I have that turntable or at least one in the same family.  I mounted it on a 45 degree tilt and would amaze my friends with how high tech it was!  I think you ought to take the time to sell that one... it is kind of rare... or do as I did and set it up at a friends house who was trying to get back into album rock.  Shure is the company that makes the needles and can be found on the internet.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 08:20:19 AM »
Good grief!!!

I am getting rid of a similar number of records (around 150 - 200). I have just looked at three artists, selected at random, that I have several records of - $29-$40 for the first (series of 5 records I have, being sold individually), $18 - $20 for the second (most common artist I own), and $20+ for the third (series of I don't know how many records of which I have 10, being sold individually). I thought they were worth nothing. They WERE all going to goodwill. Maybe I should rethink this.

I just looked up the two record set of the most popular artist I own - $99 - by crikey!! Obviously I have expensive tastes (or maybe my purchases wear well).

If you don't mind putting in the work, your top dollar venue is eBay. There's also Craigslist if you just want to dump them or your local vinyl shop. Anyone buying on those two places will most likely give you a lot less though.

Maybe you can do them in a few lots, grouped by band?

Remember, the LPs get shipped via media mail so it's the best way to sell a large lot. The rates don't grow exponentially with weight like Priority does!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 11:26:50 PM »
We sold the turntable on Craigslist (24 hours, $50), and later this week I'm giving the receiver to the son of a friend.

Our stereo stack rack is empty now, but we're using it as a plant stand. 

Stuff's gettin' cleared out of here!

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 12:09:05 AM »
I got rid of my pile of 70s and 80s LPs by donating 30 or so at a time to a thrift store that is run by a charity (animal shelter).   Over a period of 3-4 years, I got rid of hundreds of LPs I hadn't played in many years (my turntable doesn't even work anymore).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!