Author Topic: getting rid of bedbugs  (Read 3327 times)

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
getting rid of bedbugs
« on: October 06, 2018, 12:54:31 PM »
We have never had them before, but apparently we have them now. We washed all of our sheets in hot water followed by a hot drying in the dryer (Supposedly will kill them all). I guess they are still in the mattress and other bedding. I'm going to Home Despot later today to get whatever I can find. It seems to me from what I've read that they are very resilient and will likely just re-contaminate things you've cleaned/replaced/treated. I've seen cups you can place under the bed frame to prevent them from climbing up back onto the bed from the carpet. Some websites actually instruct you to get rid of your furniture. Not going to do that.

Any advice on products (preferably something non-carcinogenic!) and/or tricks would be appreciated. This looks as if it's going to cost a hundred or more for starters.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:57:05 PM by ObviouslyNotAGolfer »

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Re: getting rid of bedbugs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 01:27:38 PM »
I just had a thread on this in the DIY forum. Good discussion going on.  I had them in a rental. I paid for professional heat treatment and chemical residual.

If you are DIY, look at climexa. My tenants have been doing a lot of research and this looks like a decent product.

I’ve been told that a lot of Big box store chemicals is only a deterrent and the bugs will just migrate somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 03:05:12 PM »
Thankfully (and crossing all my digits) I've never had them, but they are increasingly common in my area. To my knowledge heat treatment is the only thing that will take care of all of them at once.

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 03:31:45 PM »
Interesting, thanks. We've never had them before, but we did go on a two week vacation in Marin and Sonoma counties (CA), and we stayed in some very nice, rustic cabins and cottages (AirBNBs). We would go back in a heartbeat, but I wonder whether this is where they came from.

Also, my wife said she read that you can see the bedbugs (not microscopic) and you can also see rust-colored streaks (feces), but we see neither. After the lights were off for a while, I looked with a flashlight and didn't see any at all. Perhaps something else...

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 03:52:17 PM »
Do you have bites? I've read that most people don't react to bedbug bites unless you're allergic, so if both of you have bites it's certainly possible to be something else. Flea bites and fleas in general aren't as big an issue here in the upper Midwest but this time of year is when they are clustering around doorways, etc with the outdoor weather cooling off.

You can see adult bedbugs pretty easily but I think if you're at that point you already have a full blown infestation. I think it was smart of you guys to be proactive and wash/dry everything. You can steam your mattress, too, and repeat the hot wash/dry etc a few times.

I don't know if you read the other thread, but bedbugger.com is an incredible resource.

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 04:21:55 PM »
Went to Home Despot looking for the EcoRaider stuff, which they didn't have. Spent 40$ on two bottles of PROOF "plant-based" spray. Upon reading reviews when I returned home, everyone said this stuff smell horrible and will likely only force the bugs even deeper into fabric, making them even harder to kill. Will probably return these bottles.

I also bought an Ortho bed bug trap (kind of like a roach hotel for bed bugs I guess). Will set this out tonight and see what we get...

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 06:10:08 PM »
Bedbug bites tend to be grouped together.  If you only have a couple bugs they may go a week or so between biting.  Luckily, my wife was allergic to the bites so we eventually found a bedbug.  The exterminator came and found a handful on the mattress and boxspring.  The whole house heat treatment and a chemical application is the best way to go. 

The ortho product is likely garbage.  Get the plastic interceptors for the bed legs.  You need to take the sheets off the bed and look very very closely over every inch of your mattress and boxspring, especially around tags and in creases for little black spots like you dotted it with a permanent black marker.  If you find something dark, run your finger over it.  If it smears you have bedbugs.  You might even see one or two.

I highly recommend a professional heat treatment but if you really want to DIY it, get some of the bedbug mattress covers from Amazon.  Cover both the boxspring and mattress.  Get a chemical spray for the infested room and hit along baseboards and the entire bed frame.  Wash sheets before placing them back on the bed.  You might be OK.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 06:16:50 PM by Adam Zapple »

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »
Just looked with a magnifying glass and flashlight, and I found a few, but not very many in the mattress. I sprayed them with hydrogen peroxide and will likely spray more tonight. i read somwhere that hydrogen peroxide is a good way to clean a mattress.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 07:02:12 PM »
Just looked with a magnifying glass and flashlight, and I found a few, but not very many in the mattress. I sprayed them with hydrogen peroxide and will likely spray more tonight. i read somwhere that hydrogen peroxide is a good way to clean a mattress.

Get the pros in.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »
If you are really dead set on this, you need to go through some major prep work and you need some heavy chemicals, probably procured from a local pest supply distributor, not your HD or Lowe’s.  You will not be able to diy a heat treatment (as I can build a house, but haven’t figured out a diy way to heat the entire building safely without purchasing expensive equipment).  From my tenants’ research, they have also started using climexa, basically a desiccant that is more effective than diatomaceous earth. You can also get a steamer and steam your mattresses/box spring/items that cannot be washed.

Here is the prep list from the professionals for heat treatment, but gives good information in general on treatment.

Customer Thermal Treatment Preparation List

Below is a list of items that may be affected by heat and should be removed. If it
is not possible to remove something that is listed, please let us know before our
scheduled appointment.  The idea behind the prep is we are trying to eliminate any areas that could could potentially insulate bugs from the heat treatment

People, and pets, cannot be in the space during the treatment.

• Remove switch plates and outlet covers. Covers need to be left in the heat to be treated.

• Remove all clothing, linens, towels, etc. And wash them in HOT water. This includes items
found in dressers and closets. Next, dry them using the hottest setting on your dryer for at least 45 minutes after items are dried to kill all bugs and eggs. If something cannot be washed in hot water, it should be dry cleaned. Place those items in a tightly sealed bag before taking them to the dry cleaner.

Once your clothing and linens have been washed and dried, seal them in tightly tied clean,
heavy mil bags or put them in plastic containers with tight fitting lids. You may put the clothes
back into place after the treatment. During treatment, these bags must be located in a room not to be heated, perhaps in the bathroom tub, garage or unfinished basement. Any items that might be damaged by heat or potentially insulate bugs (books, papers, dvd cases) can be treated with a product called Nuvan. Nuvan strips are for sale for ($69). There are 12 nuvan strips in each bag, these can be placed in a tightly closed plastic bag for 2 weeks and will kill all bugs. These can be used for a total of 4 weeks. Wear gloves when handling the strips and follow all instructions on label of product.

• Clear clutter from the floors and closets. Hanging clothes are okay as long as they are not
tightly packed together.

If you already have zippered mattress encasements on your mattresses and box springs that have no holes, please leave them on. We require mattress encasements for maximum protection, prevention, and to uphold warranty. The price for boxspring and mattress encasements are $30 for twin/full and $40 for queen/king. Be careful putting these on, it is a 2 person job. Leave them on for a year and do not take off.

Please remove vehicles from driveway the day of treatment and park a few houses up the street as we will need room to back in our unmarked, discreet trailer with equipment.  Also turn the heat on high on your thermostat. If you have an alarm, please contact your alarm company and explain you are having a heat treatment done and to disable alarm for the time we are at your home. There is a $149 charge for rescheduling inside of 24 hours or not being prepped.

Please remove the following heat sensitive items from the treatment space:

• Art - including oil paintings, acrylics, clay sculptures, etc...
• Audio and video tapes, Vinyl records
• Cigarette lighters, Aerosol cans, flammable liquids.
• Candles, wax items, cosmetics/make-up that may melt, especially deodorant and lipstick.
• Craft items assembled with glue.
• Fire extinguishers.
• Furniture - antique or with fragile finish or glue points
• Medicines and vitamins
• Musical instruments. Pianos may be covered with a thermal blanket
• Plants
• Soft vinyl items
• Software and printer inks
• Personal items
• Firearms, ammunition etc.
• All food and condiments should be removed or placed in the refrigerator if treating the kitchen
or pantry.
• Unplug computers, televisions, and other electronics. They do not have to be removed from
the treatment area.
• Sweep the area to be treated thoroughly removing all dust. Dust could damage our heaters.
Remove any pesticide powders that you have put down.
• In general, the less stuff you have in the treatment space, the easier it will be to exterminate
the bedbugs.

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »
Thanks everyone! How much does a heat treatment cost?

Heat treatment looks interesting, but will try less drastic measures first. The Climexa sound like a good place to start. Even before this, we have been discussing pulling everything out of that room, disposing of the carpet, vacuuming all the obvious crap, then getting the walls repainted and laying down some hardwood laminate (over concrete slab). It looks as if the heat treatment should be done after everything has been taken out, but before the painting,  and hardwood. Or maybe, leave all fabrics, clothes, in for the heat treatment, then paint and hardwood. Probably will buy new mattress and box spring. I would imagine hardwood would give them fewer places to hide, and possibly better for my seasonal allergies as well (late summer, early autumn). Sigh, a huge, expensive PITA but probably overdue. I have found that a good upheaval is good every now and then!

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 08:52:12 PM »
I paid 2200 for a 2 unit townhome. 5br 2ba each side.  Extrapolate for your own situation.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 10:41:34 PM »
I have to recommend bedbugger.com. Way more than you need to know. We lived through an infestation and had our house heat treated- it was about $6000. It took us a while to figure out we had them and they had migrated to another bedroom and we had an old house with lots of crevices. We had bedbug sniffing dogs come out- worth it to locate the infestations. They are tough. Besides the bed- they were behind the pictures we had over the wall behind the bed. You need to be very careful with chemicals so that you don't poison yourself.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 10:54:12 PM »
We had a small outbreak after the treatment- we had a very old wooden chest in the room and I think a few stragglers were able to burrow deep and survive.  I was able to handle this myself by removing the chest- wrapped in a big plastic uhaul mattress bag so that nothing dropped off into the rest of the house. This was sealed tight in plastic in unheated garage away from the house  with the Nuvan strips.  Mattress was already encased in a bed bug proof encasement. Completely disassembling the bed frame and stream treating it. (Found one small set of eggs). Steaming floor and baseboards. Place diatomaceous earth in all cracks. Washing all clothes. From previous infestation I have a device called a packtite which will hold a suitcase and heat it (cost about $300) used that to treat all books in the room. You need to find where they are laying their eggs. In my case they crawl around on the mattress- but laid eggs on the bedframe and behind the pictures above our bed. I'm lucky- that I am very reactive- so when I get bit- I know right away. My husband is totally asymptomatic.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:57:30 PM by marion10 »

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 06:39:11 AM »
Thanks everyone! How much does a heat treatment cost?

Heat treatment looks interesting, but will try less drastic measures first. The Climexa sound like a good place to start. Even before this, we have been discussing pulling everything out of that room, disposing of the carpet, vacuuming all the obvious crap, then getting the walls repainted and laying down some hardwood laminate (over concrete slab). It looks as if the heat treatment should be done after everything has been taken out, but before the painting,  and hardwood. Or maybe, leave all fabrics, clothes, in for the heat treatment, then paint and hardwood. Probably will buy new mattress and box spring. I would imagine hardwood would give them fewer places to hide, and possibly better for my seasonal allergies as well (late summer, early autumn). Sigh, a huge, expensive PITA but probably overdue. I have found that a good upheaval is good every now and then!

I think you need to realize that everything in that room (and possibly other places in your house) need to be treated like they are CONTAMINATED.  When you use your vacuum in that room, your vacuum can now carry bedbug eggs to other parts of your house.  When you sweep, your broom will carry the eggs elsewhere.  Every item you remove from that room can drop eggs elsewhere in your home.  You can pick them up on the bottom of your feet/shoes/slippers.  One of the reasons the bedbug problem continues to grow is that people do not understand this concept.  You lay in your bed, your PJ's have eggs on them, then you sit on your couch...now your couch has eggs on it.  Your cousin comes over and sits on the couch then gets on a city bus...now the city bus has bedbugs and it spreads all over the place. 

These nickel and dime treatments are likely to just delay or move the infestation.  Just my opinion, but it is irresponsible to cheap out on this type of thing because of the risk of the infestation spreading to your friends/family/coworkers.  My house was infested due to irresponsible furniture companies taking bedbug-infested mattresses out of homes in the same trucks that deliver new mattresses into homes.  My $1200 bedroom set became a $3000 dollar bedroom set because of having to pay for heat treatment...all because of someone else's irresponsibility.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »
One of the reasons the bedbug problem continues to grow is that people do not understand this concept. 

This. Now that you know they are bedbugs and not something else, heat treatment is the way to go.

They're becoming more common in my area but people are not educated properly as to how pervasive an infestation actually is. That in combination with being lackadaisical in treating, makes places like movie theaters, the library, public transportation prime sources of infestation. It's not the hotels here that are causing the rapid spread.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 01:15:52 PM »
My kids tried everything and finally had to throw away all their furniture and moved to a different apartment complex.

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 07:52:27 PM »
Another question: Termite (tent) treatment is probably also on the horizon for us. Will this kill bedbugs as well? (I expect the answer is NO!!!!!!!! ;-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!