Author Topic: Get hard-water scale off dark brown faucet mounted in marble?  (Read 1054 times)

wooljaguar

• Handlebar Stache
Get hard-water scale off dark brown faucet mounted in marble?
« on: September 21, 2021, 08:51:15 PM »
Random question in case anyone here knows: how do I get hard water scale off of sink handles and faucet when the countertop is marble? I used vinegar before and it worked super well but slightly damaged/clouded the surface of the marble (oops), so I don’t want to make that mistake again. As far as I can tell, anything made to remove minerals also by its nature messes with marble because marble is made of minerals. I have no idea to stop these dark brown faucet handles (supposed to be some kind of aged bronze look) from looking horrible because the white water stains show up super intensely. Halp?

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: Get hard-water scale off dark brown faucet mounted in marble?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 01:53:59 AM »
The way to stop future marks is to wipe everything dry after every time you use the sink.  What a pain, though.

If you are using chemicals to remove scale you might need to put plastic or plastic tape over the marble while cleaning the handles.  Also a pain.

A water-softener on the system should prevent the problem at source.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 03:43:06 AM »
I'd probably use some BKF on the faucet, being careful not to let it linger on the counters:

https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/how-to-clean-granite-countertops/

Conversely, they make a special product for cleaning natural stone counters, which might work on the faucet too:

https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/products/granite-stone-cleaner-polish/

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 05:36:16 PM »
Gotta say we love BKF in this house. I haven't used it in your particular situation WJ but we use it for almost everything.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 10:28:21 PM »
I used a Pumie brand pumice scouring stick on ceramic and it worked wonders for hard water stains.  It doesn't say you can't use it on marble.  Maybe it is worth a try, first in an inconspicuous spot before deciding to tackle a more obvious area, perhaps.  The pumie stick also worked wonders on a ceramic cook top.  I used to use barkeepers friend for the cooktop, but the stick does it way more effectively and a lot faster.

wooljaguar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 08:12:19 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will give probably all of them a try. Except the wiping down after every time. That is . . . unrealistic . . . for us. :P

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 08:22:14 PM »
You could also try vinegar gel, depending on how your faucet is mounted. You may need to protect the marble a little (with saran wrap) but the gel shouldn't drip if you use it sparingly, apply it carefully and don't leave it on for too long.

Recipe for mustachian homemade vinegar gel

Non-mustachian version (I like it but it's not super thick so may not be enough for your use case)

(and it's amazing for shower heads)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will give probably all of them a try. Except the wiping down after every time. That is . . . unrealistic . . . for us. :P

I wipe mine every night when I tidy up the kitchen before I turn off for the night. It's enough if your water isn't extremely hard. Takes a minute :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 06:01:17 PM by pasadenafr »

theoverlook

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 02:39:22 PM »
Keep in mind that barkeeper's friend is acidic just like vinegar, and in some cases is an even acid stronger than vinegar. So do NOT let it sit on the marble.

We have marble tile in our main ensuite bathroom and it's awful. It has several damaged spots from Formula 409, toilet bowl cleaner, and looking at it funny. I would never put in a natrual marble floor (or anything, really) outside of a museum.

wooljaguar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 05:11:08 PM »
Oooh, the vinegar gel looks like a great recipe!! I will definitely be trying that all kinds of places. Thanks!

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 06:04:28 PM »
Oooh, the vinegar gel looks like a great recipe!! I will definitely be trying that all kinds of places. Thanks!

I know! I use it all the time. I used to make it with gelatin, but hey, cornstarch works I guess. Be aware that with cornstarch, you will have to wipe it off instead of just rinsing it off.

Amazing for any vertical surface, things like shower heads or faucets (whether the spout or at the base), and toilet bowls.