Author Topic: Garage Door Track Question  (Read 1645 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Garage Door Track Question
« on: February 11, 2018, 11:28:38 AM »
Hello all! Our garage door is becoming louder when it opens/closes on the frequently used side. I've done enough poking around to know:
1. Do not use WD40 on it.
2. Tracks probably need cleaning... somehow.
3. No one can agree what lubricant to use, and whether you should lubricate the tracks or just the hardware on the door itself.

Help please? The volume of contradictory information is overwhelming on this.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Garage Door Track Question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »
I trust this source;
https://www.garagedoornation.com/blogs/home/15938048-why-you-should-use-garage-door-lubricant

The 'contradicting' is because there isn't just one way and because anyone can put anything on the internet.
Yes, including me...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 01:57:45 PM »
I trust this source;
https://www.garagedoornation.com/blogs/home/15938048-why-you-should-use-garage-door-lubricant

The 'contradicting' is because there isn't just one way and because anyone can put anything on the internet.
Yes, including me...

Thanks =)

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
I spray with a silicone lubricant about once a year on all the hinge points and moving parts. I never have sprayed the track. Never had an issue and it does reduce the noise considerably every time I do it.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 12:31:44 PM »
I spray with a silicone lubricant about once a year on all the hinge points and moving parts. I never have sprayed the track. Never had an issue and it does reduce the noise considerably every time I do it.

This.  I learned the hard way by going 15 years without doing this and had to replace most of the "moving" pieces.  Won't make that mistake again.  In some cases if the noise is already bad it might be too late.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!