Author Topic: Fix Leaky Door  (Read 2167 times)

freeazabird

• Stubble
    • Bmore Bungalow
Fix Leaky Door
« on: October 22, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »
i live in an older home with the original front door. During the colder months all our heat escaped through the front door. Is there a way to easily fix this without getting a new door?

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: Fix Leaky Door
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 02:36:59 AM »
Draft-proofing strips around sides and top to keep out cold drafts, weather-proofing strips along the bottom to keep out any water ingress, and an insulated curtain (two nice lengths of fabric with the sort of interior insulation quilters use) on a hinged curtain pole to retain heat.  Old-fashioned and effective.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 05:57:53 AM »
It depends on where it is leaking from.  Adding weatherstripping as said above will help if it is leaking around the edges of the door.  Another thing you can do is remove the interior trim and spray window and door specific expanding foam between the studs and doorframe.  This will help prevent air escaping through this gap.

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Since it's a historic home and has an original door I would hesitate to change it out.  Here is an idea of how to do curtains.  You could close the draperies to keep the cold out.

freeazabird

• Stubble
    • Bmore Bungalow
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 11:02:42 AM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Cigar2011

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Pay attention to the details
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 12:22:05 PM »
I have used the curtain idea before. It's amazing how well in works. Just make sure you use a fabric on the heavy side.  The foam is a great idea also. Like chromacster said use the specific  can it is blue.  It expands less then the regular foam. Remember that this foam expands so use a little less than you need. It will expand to fill the gap. Any overage can be sliced away with a razor.