Author Topic: Fence Posts-Oz Post  (Read 3643 times)

DrumAllDay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Fence Posts-Oz Post
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »
I am looking to install a small section of wood fencing, about 30ft or so. Has anyone used the Oz Post before? Its basically like a giant anchor/spike that you drive into the ground and then attach the 4x4 wood post into the top portion of it. It would be way easier and quicker than digging and concreting the posts.

Just wondering if they are durable and strong enough compared to the normal way of installing posts. I attached the link of the product from home depots website.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oz-Post-T4-600-4-in-Square-Fence-Post-30180/203215004?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D30-Doors%7c&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6-PJBRCO_br1qoOB4LABEiQAEkqcVer1mnE7_WO7wdipaqWApioED-hu8jJxH1wv6c7I0MEaAt6K8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Fence Posts-Oz Post
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 10:44:36 AM »
Lots of money for little gain. I would dig proper holes with a post hole digger, put at least 3' of the post in the ground, backfill with the dirt that came out of the hole and tamp around the post. A typical large pry bar has a flat 2" button on the opposite end of the point, and makes an excellent tool for tamping. This is how, literally countless millions of posts are set, and it works just fine. IMHO, you are best of avoiding any concrete in the holes. Good luck.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 11:26:14 AM »
Ditto Paddedhat's advice. Putting concrete in holes is a rotten idea. Post shrinks and now you have a giant concrete cup of water that the end of your post is sitting in and rotting away.  Digging 4 to 5 proper holes for 30 feet of fence is maybe an hour's worth of work with some post hole jobbers. Good exercise as well.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 11:35:49 AM »
Ditto Paddedhat's advice. Putting concrete in holes is a rotten idea. Post shrinks and now you have a giant concrete cup of water that the end of your post is sitting in and rotting away.  Digging 4 to 5 proper holes for 30 feet of fence is maybe an hour's worth of work with some post hole jobbers. Good exercise as well.

Yeah dont waste money on those, they would fail after a hard rain and someone leans on the fence.

It might be ok for a mailbox like in the picture, but post holes and conrete is pretty easy even if you have never worked with them before.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 05:03:26 PM »
When I've done fencing, I just avoid wooden posts altogether.  Even if building a wooden fence, I go buy a galvanized steel post.  They don't shrink.  They don't rot.  They don't get eaten by termites.  When you hit them for 20 years with a weed eater, they don't get a gouged out area.