Author Topic: Experience with Central A/C Systems?  (Read 2888 times)

jimithng23

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Experience with Central A/C Systems?
« on: June 29, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »
seems as though the last 90 days or so of learning the ways of the mustache may come in handy ... trimming back spending, ratcheting up savings have allowed me to actually have a cushion of cash that I haven't had in years!

and now, I may have to spend some of it....

yesterday I heard my A/C unit in the utility room making a crazy noise when it was trying to kick on.  I went down, took the guards off, and flipped the power switch to the off position.  The "noise" wound itself down and I waited until it was gone and flipped the switch to on.  Nothing. 

the unit is a Tempstar, 2003 model. 

I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this could be something I could fix myself or if I need to pay an HVAC pro to fix. 

Thanks!

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Experience with Central A/C Systems?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 12:21:13 PM »
If the noise was coming from the unit in your util room, its probably the circulation fan. If it's tied to the same system, try turning your heat on and see if the fan comes on.

If it doesn't come on, then it's something you could probably DIY if you're even basically electrically inclined.

If the compressor or something in the refrigerant loop is broke... call the repairman.

jimithng23

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:41:58 PM »
If the noise was coming from the unit in your util room, its probably the circulation fan. If it's tied to the same system, try turning your heat on and see if the fan comes on...

yes, it was the unit in my util room...  I'll try kicking on the furnace and go from there.

thanks!

DirtBoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:37:31 PM »
I've done some repair of my central A/C unit.  I had a capacitor die on me, which killed the fan from starting.  I found the part at a nearby electronic supply.  Probably saved myself several hundred on that.  I've cleaned the internal evap coils and the external condenser coils, which probably wasn't much of a savings.  I'd say give repair a try and the things that you can when you get to the point of dealing with refrigerant or are out of your depth, call a pro.

I keep a cheap window mount A/C unit so that my family has at least one cool room.  I don't want them hating me too much while I tool around with the A/C.  :D

jimithng23

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 02:58:03 PM »
Turns out the refrigerant needed charged and the fan motor was shot.  This being over my head, we were lucky enough to "know a guy" who recharged and replaced the unit at cost and minimal labor. 

Thanks everyone for your help with this!