Author Topic: Electric Sanders  (Read 1326 times)

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Electric Sanders
« on: May 01, 2019, 05:56:40 AM »
Hello

I have an old gate that I'm planning on improving.

I'm going to remove rotting bits of wood, then use wood filler, bits of wood, then want to sand and repaint.

I would just really like some advice on electric sanders....

I have no idea where to start....

I would like to keep costs down, so would I be better of hiring a sander?  And also what should I go for?  Do the orbital sanders mean than you can't sand corner bits? do the smaller square sanders struggle with large areas? do belt sanders also have difficulty getting into smaller nooks.

I have attached a pic of gate
any advice gratefully received
Thanks in advance

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Electric Sanders
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 06:21:17 AM »
For that you need at least a fairly big orbital sander - like 6 inches / 150mm diameter. That's a fair amount of places where an orbital sander won't reach so you would need a sander with a triangle-shaped head to get into all the corners. Also the top and bottom of all the boards will be tricky with an orbital sander.

Hiring of course an option - another is buying some reasonably priced stuff on craigslist then sell it again when you are done - that allows you to take your time finishing it. I find that pro-grade gear bought second hand looses virtually no value as the pros don't care too much that it's been in private use (which for them is pretty much the same as never used). There is also a fairly large difference in quality in sanders and its neat to have sth with a good dust-extraction system (read: a vacuum system for woodworking). Obv not that critical if working outdoors, but still is nice. It also makes the sandin papers last much longer as less clogs to the paper.

You don't want to do that job with a small sander able to reach the corner areas. Its a fairly serious chunk of sanding you you've got you there.

Are you planning to sand to remove the old paint btw? If removing paint a heat gun can be quite effective.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 06:28:00 AM by habaneroNorway »

ematicic

• Stubble
  • Money Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 06:30:19 AM »
I would just hit it with a high power pressure washer. That would strip off the old paint also. Make sure it isn't too high pressure of a fitting or it will leave tracts.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 06:32:22 AM »
Looks like a job for a simple paint scraper and wire brush.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 07:26:21 AM »
Definitely no need to sand that gate. All you really need to do is ensure that all the loose paint is off. If you have a pressure washer, you can use that. If you don't, I would get a couple wire brushes, one block one that will cover large areas and one narrow one to fit in the corners and spend an hour brushing away the loose paint. When you are done, get your garden hose with spray handle and wash all the debris and dirt off. Then first use a good quality primer which will lock your top coats of paint to any of the paint that remains. Finally use a good exterior grade paint and you should be good to go.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 07:34:25 AM »
I used a high-pressure washer on the foundation of my house to remove loose paint. It was remarkably efficient, I assumed that the paint that didn't come of wouldn't come off anytime soon and just painted over after priming. This assumption has held for 4-5 years now at least.

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 04:45:00 AM »
Thanks, I will try the high pressure hose first. 

I'm a little limited energy wise as I'm recovering from CFS/ME which was caused by pneumonia, so I'm not keen to try and paint scraper and iron wool, that is why I was thinking electric sanders to try and minimise elbow grease.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 04:17:55 PM »
I would just use a 1/4 sheet sander. These are smallish and inexpensive and can get into tighter spaces than a belt sander. Most recent ones have a dust collection bag or you can hook up a vacuum.

Best strategy is to start with a coarse grit paper then finish with a fine grit paper. Please ensure there is no lead paint on your doors prior to sanding or scraping!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:39:07 AM by jpdx »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!