Author Topic: Drop Ceiling Issue  (Read 1611 times)

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
Drop Ceiling Issue
« on: March 02, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »
So as I said in another thread we are in the process of getting our house ready to sell. The previous owners installed about 98% of a drop ceiling but didn't quite finish it. The realtor would like me to finish it but I can't seem to find what I need. To do it.

The issue is I need about five 2 ft cross tee pieces. Sounds simple enough. Problem is they only come in white everywhere I've been able to find them. The pieces on my ceiling are a beige color.

The only option I can see right now is to maybe paint them but of course who knows what the actual color is.

Anyone have a good idea on how to color match this? Or even better, know where I can find the proper colored pieces for sale?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: Drop Ceiling Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 09:51:56 AM »
Could you take one of the existing pieces to the hardware store and have them mix up a sample of matching paint?  You shouldn't need more than that, and then you can just paint the 5 new pieces to match the existing ceiling.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 12:49:34 PM »
Want to hear something funny?  Just looked up at the drop ceiling in my building and it has the exact color of cross tees I need, lol.

Too bad it's so old no one in maintenance has any idea where spare pieces would be. It also looks like they used 4 ft cross pieces across 2 tiles rather than 2 ft pieces.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:58:32 PM by dcozad999 »

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 01:06:48 PM »
My first thought would be to stick your head up there and see if you see any stickers on the backsides of the panels, tees or rails to try and identify the manufacturer.  The other option is to match the paint and go from there. If they are in a high visibility area, remove some from a less visible area to replace those and put the painted ones in the less visible area.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
I would take a tee to a big box store and see what spray paint is available that is a close match. It doesn't have to be exact, close is good enough.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 01:30:16 PM »
I would take a tee to a big box store and see what spray paint is available that is a close match. It doesn't have to be exact, close is good enough.

Yeah. I think this is my best bet.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 02:40:32 PM »
Almost any hardware store (True Value, Home Depot and Lowes) or any paint store can computer match the color if you have a sample.  Most of them will even do sample size matches so you don't have to buy a gallon or whatever.  I do it all the time.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 07:44:07 AM »
Yep, paint white ones.
You can likely buy the matching color, but you'll have to buy a whole case.

Another option would be if there are any large commercial interior contractors in your area, they may have a partial box of these available in the correct color.