Author Topic: Drilling an Air Gap on a Ikea sink?  (Read 2909 times)

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
Drilling an Air Gap on a Ikea sink?
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:32:37 AM »
Need some advice for seasoned diyers. 

We have an Ikea sink without an air gap and we want to install a dishwasher.  I found a couple of posts on google of people drilling a hole on the sink to install one.  The problem is that the surface where the air gap needs to be installed is not level but ridged (see photo).  We're wondering if we should try to drill (knowing that we might possibly chip or crack it) and try to hack the air gap on an uneven surface, or sell the sink on craigslist and buy a new one that can be used with the DW.

Any thoughts?

This is the sink we've had for 10 years and I do like it:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50273111/

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Drilling an Air Gap on a Ikea sink?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 06:08:28 PM »
Do you need an air gap? Does the dishwasher require it and/or could you get away with a high loop? Could the air gap be routed out the wall?

What's your local code say?

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 11:29:18 AM »
Do you need an air gap? Does the dishwasher require it and/or could you get away with a high loop? Could the air gap be routed out the wall?

What's your local code say?

Thanks for the reply @bacchi.  Our code does require it and our plumber said that he would highly recommend it for health and safety reasons.  Our plumber looked at the sink yesterday and said that we would not be able to get a good seal on it due to the ridging and he did not recommend it.  We can't put the gap on the wall because of the way the sink is made, the water overflow would spray all over the counters.  He did say we could try to take the hose out through the fire wall and into the sink in the garage and install the air gap there and that it would probably work.  However, that almost doubles the plumbing cost ($100/hr), and it would void the warranty on the DW.  And since it would not be up to code might be an issue if we had any water damage and needed to file an insurance claim.

So we've decided to replace the sink and cabinet.  I'm going to try to sell them on craigslist since they still look brand new. 

dummy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 12:21:04 AM »
I'm surprised your local code still calls for an air gap.

you may want to verify your plumber is correct.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 12:56:46 AM »
We have always installed the dishwasher drain onto the drain of our sink. Then, if the dishwasher needs air, we hear the noise in our sink. We didn't drill an additional hole, we just made a T-connection in the kitchen drain, probably before the gooseneck bend.

dummy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 02:49:53 AM »
We have always installed the dishwasher drain onto the drain of our sink. Then, if the dishwasher needs air, we hear the noise in our sink. We didn't drill an additional hole, we just made a T-connection in the kitchen drain, probably before the gooseneck bend.

The air gap is a type of backflow preventer.

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 12:12:37 PM »
You can loop the dishwasher drain hose.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 01:59:45 PM »

This is how mine is, with a high loop.  I've never even heard of an air gap.  Learn something new every day.

And this is code where you live?  Because I've been in a lot of homes in various states and never even seen one.