Author Topic: DIY solar installation - anybody have experience with wholesalesolar.com?  (Read 1312 times)

wawot1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
HI all-

Inspired by the MMM article and seriously considering taking the plunge and installing a grid tie-in system on my roof myself.   

Researching packages on the web and came across wholesalesolar.com.    Very impressed with their website and packages:

https://www.wholesalesolar.com/grid-tie-packages

Anybody have any experience with them?  Good or bad?

Would appreciate any first-hand experience.   

Many thanks

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Roof installation is a bad idea.   You are putting a bunch of unnecessary holes in a roof that present opportunities for leaks.   When the time comes to re-roof it will be much more difficult and costly as the panels will have to be removed and reinstalled also.   

If solar is your thing, rack mount it somewhere in the yard.

wawot1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Roof installation is a bad idea.   You are putting a bunch of unnecessary holes in a roof that present opportunities for leaks.   When the time comes to re-roof it will be much more difficult and costly as the panels will have to be removed and reinstalled also.   

If solar is your thing, rack mount it somewhere in the yard.

Point taken - this is actually going to go on the roof of my garage, so I'm less worried about leaks.

Really just curious if anybody has experience with this company.   Thanks

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Their panels do not appear to be of top-notch quality -- I am currently quoting a Panasonic array and they have 18-20% efficiency with a 25yr warranty.  These look like 15-18% with a 10yr warranty: https://news.energysage.com/best-solar-panels-complete-ranking/

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
^ They sell Panasonic panels and can change out panel options on pretty much any system. I found them very helpful to work with on the grid tie kit options and pricing (they can customize, and might have to depending on panel availability), but ultimately went with a local company that could both supply and install the same kit in less time.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
I haven't yet purchased from them.

I am exploring the possibility of doing solar this year and have been in communication with them.

Their staff is helpful and responsive. They appear to know more than just the basics and can help you make a selection of what kit to get. Their prices appear to be decent. (though if you are well researched, Renvu can have better prices, but they are aimed at professionals).

If I go through with it I will try and remember to report back. But, I suspect a few insulation upgrades make more sense than solar at this junction (more return for less money).

Sorry I cannot provide greater input.

wawot1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thank you everybody for the input!