Author Topic: DIY smash repair  (Read 3562 times)

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
DIY smash repair
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:07:37 PM »
After hitting a kangaroo (kangaroo totalled :( and car damaged) over the weekend, and being unimpressed with my $2500 deductible, I've decided to have a go at some DIY smash repairs.  From what I can see one (plastic) panel is in pieces, some of the mountings are damaged, and the headlight assembly is broken up.

I've phoned around the wreckers and found a same make/model/year/colour car that I can get the parts from, so have ordered them.  Thus far, I've spent about $500 on parts.  Will see if I manage to get it all done for less than the deductible! 

Fingers crossed that I won't need to do any painting, and will get away with just swapping out these parts.  There doesn't look to be any damage to the structure below the broken guard.

happy

• Walrus Stache
Re: DIY smash repair
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 01:46:24 AM »
Roos make a  mess don't they? How is the radiator?
Well done you if you can do it yourself.

Junior667

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 05:08:55 AM »
Good luck with the repair! Once you have your replacement parts on hand it should make the process go smoothly as you will be able to see where all the hidden attachment points are. It wouldn't surprise me if you have to spring for a few broken clips but that's still going to be far cheaper than your deductible.

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »
I've phoned around the wreckers and found a same make/model/year/colour car that I can get the parts from, so have ordered them. 

Same color even? Perfect!

_C_

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 02:21:39 PM »
Have you had it checked out by a competent repair person? Just because it doesn't look smashed doesn't mean there isn't serious damage somewhere. Modern cars are meant to crumple and protect you, meaning there are lots more things that can bend and break than before.

Not saying you don't have a good plan on fixing it yourself. I'd just make sure there isn't something more than meet the eye going on.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Have you had it checked out by a competent repair person? Just because it doesn't look smashed doesn't mean there isn't serious damage somewhere. Modern cars are meant to crumple and protect you, meaning there are lots more things that can bend and break than before.

Not saying you don't have a good plan on fixing it yourself. I'd just make sure there isn't something more than meet the eye going on.

Good advice. At least run it by somewhere with an alignment rack and pay to get that checked. If that's good, or can be brought good with normal adjustment, then no serious vehicle unibody/frame damage was done.

Around here people hit deer, not kangaroos. Same principle I'm sure - a good deer hit can total a car.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 06:32:46 PM »
For future reference, cracked plastic panels can be expediently repaired by drilling holes on either side of the crack and lacing them with zipties, if you don't care too much about the aesthetics.  Ziptie stitches are currently holding my front bumper together.