Author Topic: DIY shoe re-sole?  (Read 7003 times)

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
DIY shoe re-sole?
« on: January 12, 2018, 07:10:14 AM »
Anyone done it?
I have a pair of Chaco lightweight boots, sole is about worn out. Chaco will not re-sole them. I hate to toss these boots as they are super comfy, pricy when new, and have lots of life in them but for the sole.
I see Vibram replacement soles on Amazon and curious if any smarty crafty Mustachians have dabbled in this dark (haha) art
https://www.amazon.com/Vibram/b/ref=w_bl_sl_ap_sh_web_2603230011?ie=UTF8&node=2603230011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Vibram

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
DIY shoe re-sole?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 07:17:18 AM »
Try a local shoe repair shop. Years ago my Dad had shoes resoled many, many times. Not too many shoe repair shops around anymore but do an internet search in your area.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
Re: DIY shoe re-sole?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:00:20 AM »
Try a local shoe repair shop.
too expensive - looking for a DIY $20 solution.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 11:30:36 AM »
Try a local shoe repair shop.
too expensive - looking for a DIY $20 solution.
I don't think you have much to lose by trying...I'd carefully slice off as much of the old sole as humanly possible (box cutter? Craft knife? Camping knife?) Then attach the new one with ShoeGoo. Figure out in advance how you can clamp or weight them for drying...

I have a similar problem with flat-soled sneakers...everything else is fine but sole wore through. Except I can't find a place to get good soles for the purpose or even  textured sheet rubber...suggestions? Black vibram soles probably would look super weird. White, gray, gold/brown I'm open to.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »
I just searched "shoe soling sheet" and found one with the exact pattern my shoes have... Derp. I swear it wasn't the first time I searched that, and last time it was all black!

I'm going to try it! aren't if you want to see how my suggested technique works out, wait 2 weeks!

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 05:56:16 PM »
Hmmm. I wonder if I could do this. Maybe try on a cheapish pair first....but I am super intrigued

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 12:02:47 PM »
I dived into this rabbit-hole a little and have a $10 set of replacement soles and a $15 bottle of fancy glue to try.
Over the weekend DW's favorite boots 'gave up it's sole'.... which gave some impetus to this adventure!
Will update.

pumpkinlantern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 09:27:58 AM »
There's a shoe repair guy that I go to for all my re-soles.  It costs about $15-20 CAD to get a pair done (including the cost of the sole, depends on the sole).  He has pretty decent quality rubber soles that last a while.  Thanks to him I very rarely buy new shoes (I don't re-sole runners, but all my leather shoes/boots, etc I get done).  He's not someone that would show up on google though - it's definitely a one-man small business.  Maybe there's someone similar in your area if you look around/ask?

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 11:12:15 AM »
I dived into this rabbit-hole a little and have a $10 set of replacement soles and a $15 bottle of fancy glue to try.
Over the weekend DW's favorite boots 'gave up it's sole'.... which gave some impetus to this adventure!
Will update.

I'm going to try it! aren't if you want to see how my suggested technique works out, wait 2 weeks!

Anybody try this yet?  I am thinking about redoing a pair and would love to get some tips.  Acroy, is your fancy glue fancier than ShoeGoo and if so did it work well?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 11:18:48 AM »
My personal preference would be to get some old car tires (can usually get for free) and cut them to size as the sole of your shoes.  Then glue them to the bottom . . .

Grippy, cheap, relatively easy.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »
Will update.

I got busy after the rubber arrived so it's been sitting. :( Not sure if I'll find time this weekend, either...Will update when I do though!
Anybody try this yet?  I am thinking about redoing a pair and would love to get some tips.  Acroy, is your fancy glue fancier than ShoeGoo and if so did it work well?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 07:42:31 AM »
Amazon seems to have a lot of replacement shoe soles for sale, such as high heel tips, etc. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=replacement+shoe+soles+-insole+

I have a pair of shoes whose molded rubber soles and heels completely deteriorated, even though the lovely leather uppers are in perfect condition.  If anybody sees a way to remold/replace entire shoe bottoms (not just a flat rubber sheet) please let me know!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:45:30 AM by Poundwise »

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 10:11:08 AM »
Amazon seems to have a lot of replacement shoe soles for sale, such as high heel tips, etc. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=replacement+shoe+soles+-insole+

I have a pair of shoes whose molded rubber soles and heels completely deteriorated, even though the lovely leather uppers are in perfect condition.  If anybody sees a way to remold/replace entire shoe bottoms (not just a flat rubber sheet) please let me know!
I think you have to get that exact sole from the manufacturer. Some make them available (at least to cobblers shops) but some do not. Recently had to trash a pair of bf's hiking boots because the soles just...crumbled. :'( I'm pushing for getting a different brand b/c soles aren't supposed to do that! But he looked the boots so he's considering a pair they will resole...

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 07:21:52 AM »
Yes, I doubt these soles are available from anywhere except from the manufacturer (Clarks).  I'll write to them and see what they say.  The style was probably discontinued a long time ago but you never know!

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 02:01:29 PM »
There's a shoe repair guy that I go to for all my re-soles.  It costs about $15-20 CAD to get a pair done (including the cost of the sole, depends on the sole).  He has pretty decent quality rubber soles that last a while.  Thanks to him I very rarely buy new shoes (I don't re-sole runners, but all my leather shoes/boots, etc I get done).  He's not someone that would show up on google though - it's definitely a one-man small business.  Maybe there's someone similar in your area if you look around/ask?

That's it?!?! Wow, you are getting a steal!! I've seen people charge over $100 for this!