Author Topic: DIY Railroad Crossing Signal With Arm  (Read 8467 times)

vulgar_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
DIY Railroad Crossing Signal With Arm
« on: November 19, 2014, 02:46:28 PM »
I have a young son who is infatuated with railroad crossings.  We spent about 1 hour waiting for the train to loop around at the zoo the other day just so he could watch the signal go off.  I have decided that I want to build him a working 3-4 foot tall signal with a motion activated arm that will raise and lower for the end of the hallway in my apartment.  I have some ideas about the sign.  I am leaning towards using spray painted PVC for the posts and led brake lights for the signal lights.  What I am struggling with is the arm.  Anyone have any ideas about what kind of motor I should get and how can I make it motion activated?  I would also like a realistic sounding bell, but am coming up short on ideas.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  FYI, I have no electrical wiring experience, so this will be a fun learning experience for me too.

The only "toy" I could find was overpriced in my opinion, and sounded really loud in the video.
http://www.amazon.com/Pavlovz-Toyz-Talking-Railroad-Crossing/dp/B001JNCKJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416433298&sr=8-1&keywords=railroad+signal+arm

Edit: So I have been reading up a bit and realize that this is not going to be as easy as I thought...  I am still intending on building this thing though.  I like a challenge!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:29:08 PM by vulgar_girl »

gotaholen1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: DIY Railroad Crossing Signal With Arm
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 01:20:05 PM »
You could probably run something like this from an arduino. 

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOz41WQF7wE

projekt

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »
A great way to get started with electronics is the TI MSP430 Launchpad.

http://www.ti.com/tool/msp-exp430g2

You can download the programming software from TI for free, and the Launchpad includes the hardware portion of the programmer. You can wire things up to the launchpad itself, or you can pop out the chip and put it into a solderless breadboard or solder it to a protoboard. The chip does not have a fancy motor driver but software can be used to drive a DC motor.

Another option is the Tiva C launchpad, which is a very advanced 32-bit microcontroller that is still very inexpensive. It has fancy QAM motor drivers built into the hardware. The nice thing about the Tiva is there is a great course on electronics at edX, and they use this controller.

I have a book called Practical Electronics for Inventors by Paul Scherz. It is an encyclopedic treatment of all the things you might do with electronics. As you might imagine, motor and lamp control are very common applications with lots of possible approaches. You can, of course, do these projects without any form of digital control, using timers and relays. The part of the book about the 555 timer can be really useful. When reading the book, be aware that the author often babbles about the difficult math that could be used, then he shows you how to simplify what you're doing. Once you have Ohm's law in your head, the rest is pretty easy to follow.

If you have a makerspace near you, you can hang out there and avoid buying a whole set of starter components. They will have breadboards, capacitors, resistors, timers, relays, etc., and test equipment like multimeters and often oscilloscopes. You'll also find people who can help you learn what you need to know.

vulgar_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 02:37:39 PM »
Thank you both for your responses.  The MCUs look very interesting but a bit intimidating.  I did find  Practical Electronics for Inventors online at http://www1.appstate.edu/~curtincm/sculpture/suppliers/gizmos/Practical_Electronics_for_Inventors.pdf (in case anyone else is interested).  I think I will start there as I am really a noob at all this, and I have basically no knowledge of electronics this far. 

My goal is to get the sign with the lights and bells working before Christmas.  After that I will try to tackle adding the arm.  Excited to earn some new skills!  I will post updates and pics along the way. 

projekt

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:06:28 AM »
The MCUs may look intimidating but from my experience they are a lot easier in the long run. It is much easier in my opinion to tell an MCU that you want to turn on pin 3 for 0.5s then turn it off and turn on pin 4 for 0.5s, then switch back, than it is to choose the correct capacitor and resistor for programming an analog circuit. As you change your functionality, it's mostly a matter of reprogramming the MCU instead of rewiring the circuit. You'll learn a lot, though, doing it in the analog domain, so either way is good.

vulgar_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 10:12:01 AM »
I love the interwebs.  I found this: http://www.kevinmfodor.com/home/model-railroading-projects/railroad-crossing-signal.  Basically someone already did what I want to do.  He has the detailed instructions for building a crossing (sans arm) both using an analog circuit and a MCU.  I attached the schematic and here is a link to the non-analog project: http://makezine.com/projects/railroad-grade-crossing-signal-controller/.

So now I just have to decide what to do...

projekt

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 10:54:15 AM »
Skip his power supply and just get your own 12V DC 1A supply (or two of those 6V lantern batteries in series). Your lamps will work fine connected to 12V. You should also be able to wire the bell on straight DC. I don't know why he has all those weird AC power supplies in there.

So, go get yourself a breadboard, some wires, a soldering iron, some solder, and go for it!

vulgar_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 09:18:30 AM »
So, in case anyone is interested, I did manage to get this thing built in time for Christmas.  I just haven't had time to update/get a good pic.  I ended up getting a controller built for me for $36, a crossbuck off the interwebs, and doing all the rest myself.  The frame is made of 1 1/2" PVC which I attached to an old lamp base to make it stand up.  I used dollar store metal plates (which unfortunately have a flower like pattern hammered into them) painted black for the sun blockers, 4" trailer lights for the lamps, and an industrial door bell (which I had to short out to make it ring once rather than ring continuously).  I soldered the lamp, bell, and push button connections to the MCU.  The push button at the center of the 4 way PVC piece turns it on.  Overall I am very pleased with myself, even thought it wasn't totally DIY, I did build it and wire it up.  And most of all my son loves it.  Yay!

I do not think I am going to try to incorporate an arm.  Even though it would be awesome, I just don't have the room.   This thing is HUGE!

projekt

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 11:42:02 AM »
Good work! Don't worry about not being 100% DIY. The learning curve on electronics would have definitely pushed you past Christmas. I've been following your project because I think it's awesome and I'll probably build a similar thing for kids I know.

The next step is adding an arm. That'd be a good opportunity to learn about circuits, the MCU and PWM motor control. After all, you have all year.

Right now EdX is offering a class in circuits and electronics, MIT 6.002x. It's pretty awesome. They also have a class in using microcontrollers, UT.6.01x. The microcontrollers class is hands-on using a 32-bit MCU. The little MCU kit that you buy for the class is quite reusable.