Author Topic: DIY Natural Gas Fireplace Install  (Read 1257 times)

dneck37

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
DIY Natural Gas Fireplace Install
« on: February 20, 2020, 12:00:01 PM »
Hey Guys I was wondering if anyone had installed a natural gas fireplace insert themselves. I found a 2 yr old used HeatNGlo I35 Grand insert for sale (real cheap some spendy pants was redoing their addition for the 2nd time in a few years) and was thinking of picking it up and doing the install myself. It seemed pretty straight forward. I already have gas and electrical ran to the correct spots since my home previously had not up to code gas logs in the fireplace. The only challenging part seems to be renting a lift to drop the intake and exhaust air piping down my chimney. After that I could just do the hook up and have someone from the utilities company come and inspect it and air test my hookups. Anyone have any tips or lessons learned for this type of project?

Thanks in advance for the replies

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: DIY Natural Gas Fireplace Install
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 12:13:17 PM »
Waiting for the "You're going to blow yourself up" police TM to show up in 3..2..1.....

Working with gas is relatively easy and straight forward. Easier then electrical as it is much more obvious when you made a mistake. Soapy water and your nose are your friend.

Personally I would go with a vent free model and save yourself the hassle of venting it. Plus I had heard they are dang near impossible to insulate around (due to the heat when on) so they leak cold air 24/7 when not in use. Running a new vent through your chimney sounds like a huge PITA.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:15:08 PM by Jon Bon »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 12:57:44 PM »
Well, I would probably blow myself up, so I wouldn't. If you think you can do this without gas leaks, properly, etc ok.
However, you should consider if you need a permit, and if so if DIY is allowed. Or would you skip the permit, which might cause problems down the line.

I would also be concerned that this used model is functioning properly, ie did it get broken when pulling it out? If you have the skill to evaluate that, great, but not everyone does.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 06:52:49 AM »
I'm not a fan of "vent free" fireplaces or heaters.
They put out a whole lot of humidity, stink and can be dangerous.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 07:05:07 AM »
I haven't installed one but I've ripped two out so I could burn actual wood which I prefer. There really isn't much too them and you listed everything. Like someone else mentioned above, I think working with gas line is pretty easy DIY as long as you check your work with some soapy water.