Author Topic: DIY Jeans Repair for less than $2  (Read 5790 times)

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
DIY Jeans Repair for less than $2
« on: December 15, 2014, 05:45:25 PM »
Today I blogged about doing an "invisble" denim repair. If you have a pair of jeans that are getting a hole, it's a great way to extend their lifespan!

http://simpleabundantliving.blogspot.com/2014/12/save-these-jeans-diy-denim-repair.html

NCGal

• Stubble
Re: DIY Jeans Repair for less than $2
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing. That looks pretty cool! I've been checking out blogs and videos for patching jeans by hand. I did one repair with an iron on patch placed on the inside, then stitched around the edges and finished with some hand-embroidery on the outside. I've worn the jeans for several days and I'm now washing, to see how they hold up! I'm going to try a different technique on another pair, using lace trim sewn on to some lighter scrap denim, and again patching from the inside.

Do you have any recommendations for what basic stitches and capabilities I would look for if I decide to purchase an inexpensive sewing machine? I don't foresee learning to make outfits from scratch. I'd be using it more for mending, patching, hemming, etc. 

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 02:44:59 PM »
They even make "denim" thread and patches that are mixed blue and white to help hide the repair.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 03:11:30 PM »
They even make "denim" thread and patches that are mixed blue and white to help hide the repair.

That thread was actually the "denim" thread. I need to find a lighter one, though. If you find a link, please post it here!

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 03:23:17 PM »
Thanks for sharing. That looks pretty cool! I've been checking out blogs and videos for patching jeans by hand. I did one repair with an iron on patch placed on the inside, then stitched around the edges and finished with some hand-embroidery on the outside. I've worn the jeans for several days and I'm now washing, to see how they hold up! I'm going to try a different technique on another pair, using lace trim sewn on to some lighter scrap denim, and again patching from the inside.

Do you have any recommendations for what basic stitches and capabilities I would look for if I decide to purchase an inexpensive sewing machine? I don't foresee learning to make outfits from scratch. I'd be using it more for mending, patching, hemming, etc.

I have a Viking Husqvarna 150 circa 1989.  It just has the basic stitches and I've used it for everything from mending, making draperies, and sewing clothing. I'm a fan of the heavy, older machines that were more metal than plastic. I've heard that the old Kenmores are good as well. I found an similar vintage Elna at a yard sale for $5, it was missing the foot pedal and I ordered a replacement. Now I just need to find the right bobbin. If you have a local sewing machine repair shop, I would ask them for advice. They may even have good used machines for sale. The new, cheap machines you can find may work for a while, but aren't a Buy It For Life item. My Viking is going on 25+ years old and I have only had a couple cleanings/tune ups in that time.

NCGal

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »
I've noticed the prices for newer sewing machines have come down but the reviews are bad and say the plastic parts break. That's a great tip about going to a repair shop, thanks!

I have this denim thread from Coats and Clark I got at Walmart:
http://www.quilting-warehouse.com/024800.html
It's not extremely dark. I also have a hand quilting thread from C&C that's a lighter blue from Walmart.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »

That thread was actually the "denim" thread. I need to find a lighter one, though. If you find a link, please post it here!

Hmm... I've only seen one color, and you're right, with all the different washes of denim pants, it's not going to be perfect.  One idea to make it lighter is to unspool enough for two bobbins, set in the sun to bleach it out a bit and the re-spool it onto a top and bottom bobbin.  But that might be a pain to deal with a pile of loose thread.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 03:11:19 PM »

Hmm... I've only seen one color, and you're right, with all the different washes of denim pants, it's not going to be perfect.  One idea to make it lighter is to unspool enough for two bobbins, set in the sun to bleach it out a bit and the re-spool it onto a top and bottom bobbin.  But that might be a pain to deal with a pile of loose thread.

One color is all I saw when I went into my local JoAnns. It's worked fine on other pants, but these ones are a bit lighter. I just may take the pants and match them up with a solid very light blue. It just depends how much it bugs me! ;)

intirb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 03:47:11 PM »
I usually repair clothing this way, but without the heat and bond patch on the inside.  How much would this heat patch help over, say, a regular fabric patch?

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »
I usually repair clothing this way, but without the heat and bond patch on the inside.  How much would this heat patch help over, say, a regular fabric patch?

A regular patch is going to be bulky and may show through the clothes. You may even feel the patch, and when you're talking about jeans you love, usually you wouldn't like that feeling. I am old enough to remember tough-skins with their double knees. I personally wouldn't want it to feel like that. Try it with the heat and bond muslin and tell me what you think.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 09:56:37 AM »
One color is all I saw when I went into my local JoAnns. It's worked fine on other pants, but these ones are a bit lighter. I just may take the pants and match them up with a solid very light blue. It just depends how much it bugs me! ;)

Haha, yeah, that would probably be WAY easier...  Even as it is in the picture, I wouldn't notice that slight difference on someone else when they were wearing it.  We always notice so much more about ourselves than we do others, right?

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 03:47:19 PM »

Haha, yeah, that would probably be WAY easier...  Even as it is in the picture, I wouldn't notice that slight difference on someone else when they were wearing it.  We always notice so much more about ourselves than we do others, right?

So true. I'll have to look when he's wearing them and see if I can spot the difference. I finished the repair and he left right away on business, so I'll have to give it a closer inspection!