Author Topic: DIY - Decking + Backyard + Backyard Office/Extra Room + OPEN SPACE KITCHEN  (Read 51285 times)

cooking

• Stubble
Re: DIY - Decking + Backyard + Backyard Office/Extra Room + OPEN SPACE KITCHEN
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2017, 04:44:08 PM »
I feel like I just binge watched a series, and was cut off at the cliff hanger!  I'm not seeing a picture that I thought Mr. Sal implied he was putting up in his most recent post.  Am I missing something?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
I feel like I just binge watched a series, and was cut off at the cliff hanger!  I'm not seeing a picture that I thought Mr. Sal implied he was putting up in his most recent post.  Am I missing something?
Nope, I don't see it either.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2017, 05:26:37 AM »
I'm so sorry... I thought Facebook images lasted longer... They used to at least. Any how I'll put it up again :)

cooking

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2017, 11:25:00 AM »
Yes MrSal, I think there are lots of us who would love to see the image remain a permanent part of the thread, as the other images you posted seem to have done.  Your project is really inspirational; so to have the Money Shot missing for any thread latecomers is soooo frustrating!

Obviously, looks like some great work, and shows how resourceful you are.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »
I apologize but here it is...

I already have the inside of the island also done and the sides of the railing as well ... so it actually looks more finished!

cooking

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2017, 10:39:50 PM »
Wow!  Looks so much lighter and better.  MrSal, thanks for sharing the pictures and descriptions with us.  Also, I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of the stairway and railings when you're done with that part.  Please don't forget to post them when you finish.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2018, 10:05:48 PM »
And here I share a little video da Google created for us...

https://youtu.be/SUIL-ikDIWM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SUIL-ikDIWM?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And I already need to update that video since I just spent the past few daysd installing new hardwood floors ...

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Beautiful work.  Now I see the refrigerator. ;-)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
So... im in need of some help on the best way to attach this.

I have the railing ready to go ... however i am not sure what the best way to attach this is...  At first I was thing pocket holes to the floor but I'm not sure how strong that would be.

The edges of the opening have joists all over pretty much as you can see per the pictures. The right side, has a joist on top of the bottom basement joist and it;s single in width. This sits right on top of the beam that goes across the house in the basement from one end to the other, hence the reason why the floor joist/beam is sitting on top of it. ... the left side of the edge however, is double width. There are two joists there.

I have thought a few ways to do it for example... a mortise type of joint where o would make a little square on the floor and then insert the post with a tenon or something. I can see this working for the right side where there would be enough empty room right next to the joist however on the left side, since its a double 2x8 I am not so sure. I dont want to cut into the joists per se - wouldn';t that make them weaker?

Another option, just pocket holes through it with some strong screws and try to hit the joists underneath with them?

Third option, I am not sure if it would work. The posts at 3x3 ... try to make a notch in the middle point and then rest them on the joists. On the right side I would be able most likely to do the notch and insert the notch through the flooring and then bolt it to the underneath joist from the concealed side instead of the stairs side... the left side however, because its double joisted I couldn't do that probably and the notch would have to be secured through the stair side. The posts are small so notchjing them 1.5 in, i am not sure how off center it would make the whole railing towards the opeining and island.

Some ideas maybe?

What would you guys advise?

Thanks

The attachment to the island I think pocket screws would be enough? The endge of the island right there is 1/2 in plywood facing the side of a 2x4 so there is about 2 in of wood to bite to.

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Securing newell posts (the vertical part of your railing) so that the railing doesn't wobble, can be hard.  If you put any large amount of pressure on it, you've got a LOT of leverage to pull any screws out of the floor.  So I'd rule out pocket screws.  You could cut a square hole through your floor for the right-hand railing, and secure it to the single joist on that side.  But that still leaves the left-hand side.  I would advise against any sort of notching of the joists.

Here's what I'd do for the left side:  Instead of trying to secure the vertical piece to the joists below, I'd cut the horizontal piece extra long, so that you can cut a hole in the end of the wall you built under the new countertop, feed that horizontal piece through there, and secure it to the framing inside that wall.

I've tried to annotate your photo to make this more clear.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
the right post is also a challenge... i just checked and i have the main trunk of the HVAC system right beneath it... I can't reach the side of the joist and I doubt Id be able to take down the HVAC :D

Thats a good idea... maybe using a mortise into the 2x4 on the channel?

Also, what do you think of this:

It's called sure tite and its a double threaded bolt about 11-12 inches that would screw down the joist and connect the post and then use a nut to tighten it. Essenstially id need to drill a hole from the bottom of the post and another through the side to tighten the bolts...

Maybe using both solutions? Mortise into island and then this bolt into joist?

Here's a picture of how it looks:

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
Forget the railings and get creative!

How about a sliding countertop extension that fits underneath the existing one and completely hides the fact that the stairs are there?

Hidden Basement.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Forget the railings and get creative!

How about a sliding countertop extension that fits underneath the existing one and completely hides the fact that the stairs are there?

Hidden Basement.

If I had seen this video before I built everything... it could have been like that... but at this point we will go with railings.

This is a super sweet solution btw:

https://www.facebook.com/4MEN.PT/videos/270001086871816/

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
So ... my solution was to use the Sure Tite thingy... along with a 1 1/4 inch dowel into the handrail and into the island as well as pocket screws and wood glue! It feels sturdy ...

Today I am ordering the tempered glass and we are finally done!

Then, onto the basement! Hopefully basement will be easier since its a blank canvas instead of us having to destroy and clean up stuff and work around existing things...

We are going to paint the basement ceiling/joists all white and probably won't close it up or put drywall since the ceiling is low and I don't want to lose inches.

Basement will be open space for most part - for flexibility, costs, and in order to be fast... most divisions/rooms will be made with furniture and things like that... picture a loft type of layout.

Walls will be only the perimeter and the machineery area (furnace... washer./.. etc)

cooking

• Stubble
Hi MrSal,

Great inspiration here!  Please keep us updated and esp. keep posting pics.  You must have lots of energy.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Hi MrSal,

Great inspiration here!  Please keep us updated and esp. keep posting pics.  You must have lots of energy.

Thanks.

Ill take pictures once the tempered glass is in :)

the rails look great... i dont think im even coating it with stain or any poly ...natural oak looks amazing there

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
PTF

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Yes, natural oak looks awesome, but you'll want to put *something* on it so it doesn't soak up dirt and grease and such.  I'd suggest a satin polyurethane varnish to help maintain the look.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
And here are the pictures!

You can see the posts along with the tempered glass - damn the tempered glass was expensive! 200$ ! oh well...

There is only one thing missing now... we need to finish the door that leads to the deck - the installer did it wrong and is unleveled and we were waiting for warmer temperatures... should do it sometime this month...

Also, where the fridge is, we are putting bottom cabinets and a new fridge. That's all! oh and open shelving!

I will try to post pictures at night because I installed some spotlights as well ! It adds so much to the livingroom space...

I bought 2 of these and placed them where the old lights were...

They were cheap - about 19$ each light and they add a lot of depth and dimensionality to the room... I regret that I didn't cut holes for ceiling lights on the living room side (it has none) before I installed the insulation. I thought of it but then decided not to but now I regret it...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:00:46 AM by MrSal »

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Looks amazing!   You have one of the most creative kitchen tables I have ever seen.  Major props to you. 

You could even to add a little extra butcher block (or even painted plywood with leftover kitchen paint?) table on the side with the basement access with upside-down padded hooks that attach to the rails without damaging them so you have more table room for bigger parties.  Or when you need more seating temporarily but don't need to go into the basement (or are willing to "sneak" into the basement via the table).  I see a grand table for 10 with that easy conversion.  :-) Not to give you more work when you just finished! 

I like the directional lights you put into the kitchen a lot.  A good cost effective way to add more lighting.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Looks amazing!   You have one of the most creative kitchen tables I have ever seen.  Major props to you. 

You could even to add a little extra butcher block (or even painted plywood with leftover kitchen paint?) table on the side with the basement access with upside-down padded hooks that attach to the rails without damaging them so you have more table room for bigger parties.  Or when you need more seating temporarily but don't need to go into the basement (or are willing to "sneak" into the basement via the table).  I see a grand table for 10 with that easy conversion.  :-) Not to give you more work when you just finished! 

I like the directional lights you put into the kitchen a lot.  A good cost effective way to add more lighting.

Great minds think alike :D I actually thought of that...

Kind of like this setup with the stoppers to go against the rails...

As of now, the table sits 10 comfortably pretty easily...  with some effort it seats 14 - already tested it! We just need benches though! :D

Creative/unique sometims means that it could be trouble in the future if we were to sell the house... however, so far everyone that has come to the house thinks the opposite. They say it's the prettiest "out of magazine" house in the neighbourhood ... And this is from friends and just strangers popping by ... I have had 3 people already inviting me for dinner to give them tips on their kitchen updates and decor.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Now if you could also figure a way to make it basement stair wall art or ceiling art you wouldn’t have to store the table away when not in use. Counter height benches are a cool idea for maximizing seating-you’ve given me an idea!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
And as promised here it is during night time... In person it's much brighter but of course the phone camera cannot deal with the high contrast of the scene so some areas look very dark especially because i exposed the picture for the highlights to not be blown... the last pictures are truer to the first ones...

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Clap, clap, clap. Stands and claps!! Such a beautiful kitchen.  I love that people recognize what a great job you have done in the neighborhood. 

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Yesterday installed a few string lights we had bought at a clearance from target... didn;t have enough to do a zig zag pattern on the ceiling as I intended so I attached the lights to the trellis/vine ...

It sure makes it look good... need to see what we can do about the bugs though! It's a mosquito magnet!!

shelbyautumn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
It sure makes it look good... need to see what we can do about the bugs though! It's a mosquito magnet!!

Ah mosquitoes - the bane of my existence. I'm super allergic to them and get HUGE swollen welts when I get bit.

This spray worked really well for us last summer (in Mississippi where the mosquitoes can be mistaken for birds): https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cutter-32-fl-oz-Backyard-Bug-Control-Spray-Concentrate/4441845

I've heard the Thermacell brand works well: https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=thermacell

You can also try planting lemongrass, citronella, or geraniums in planters and see how that works for you! That's my next project.

By the way, your deck is beautiful and the lights were a great addition!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Screen porch project? ;-)

The lights look really good!  So does your deck.  If you find something that works for the bugs, I'd like to hear about it. Our FIRE house has terrible bugs.

shelbyautumn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Screen porch project? ;-)

The lights look really good!  So does your deck.  If you find something that works for the bugs, I'd like to hear about it. Our FIRE house has terrible bugs.

I just heard good things about this product from a co-worker: https://spartanmosquito.com/
One kit covers an acre for 90 days. The store that carries them around me sells the kit for $20.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
thanks! Ill try that... I hate mosquitos... I am a city boy living in a rural area so I hate the pesty mosquitos. While we do have them where we lived, here its swarms of mosquitos at night

midwesterner1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Follow the link to open a Personal Capital acct and we both get $20 Amazon Gift Card!
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2019, 11:46:46 PM »
Hi MrSal,
Just stumbled upon hour project which looks amazing. Pics aren’t loading for me though. Any way the pics could be rescued? Edit: Saw your YouTube link. Looks awesome! Thanks and congrats on the very interesting and project!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:58:03 PM by midwesterner1982 »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2019, 06:05:10 AM »
I am confused. Maybe it's the pictures, but I'm going to ask so you can clarify.

Why does the railing not extend all the way to the first step?

Is there a handrail to the basement that isn't visible or something planned that is not yet installed? The glass panels look great, but flat panels of glass offer little in the way of support.

How much space is there between that gaping first step and the refrigerator? It looks tight, but might just be the angle.

Finally, was this work permitted?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:12:42 AM by Dicey »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
So I want to update this thread.

Here is the last plans we have for it:

Pool location or if any at all are still a bit on the limbo...

This weekend we put our hands to work and started on the base for the floating deck:

It's a ground level deck where the deck will be flush with the grass. Floating deck hence the gravel and why the digging. I think we got ourselves a deal with $400 for the digging of both holes + dirt haul + gravel pouring. Gravel total was about $300 as well. I think we kind of overbuilt but oh well.

Time to go buy some wood.

The corner deck will be big concrete pavers spread apart like 4-5 inches between each other, and in the middle white marble stone. Then some 4 ft height planters to serve as the back of couches and a firepit in the middle. Grass grows badly in this area since it's shady and accumulates water when raining hence why we decided to do this.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 03:10:47 PM by MrSal »

jaysee

• Stubble

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
What lol

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
It's going to be a backyard oasis for sure!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Yesterday it was concrete pour day! We were thinking of doing it by hand but after I did some math on the # of bags and that we also had to buy a concrete mixer etc... I called a few building companies and was able to connect to a concrete company.

Even with the overcharge delivery for a small batch it was still worth it - it was slightly cheaper than with the bags at a $120 charge for delivery. Concrete itself was $140 for 1.5 cubic yards. So $240 total without any mixing work.

However, we just keep getting lucky in all our renovations. It seems we always hit on the spot for the hottest day of the year. 92F yesterday with high humidity. We couldn't get shade in the area even with a pop up tent since it wasn't large enough. This meant the concrete dried super fast!

To the point where we couldn't finish the edges on a couple pavers unfortunately. Even though it was only about 120 sq ft, it was a lot of edges, each paver having 12 feet of edging to do! In retrospect if I am to do ever again, I would just delay the order and pick an overcast day or something.

Also we had to take down part of our fence since the truck shoot couldn't go above it. All in all a great experience and the pavers look awesome. We will probably remove the framing tomorrow.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
It's good to see that you covered it with plastic to slow down the evaporation. I would still hesitate to pour it when it is that hot for a surface where heavy objects will be driving across but as a paver patio, it should be plenty strong enough.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
It's good to see that you covered it with plastic to slow down the evaporation. I would still hesitate to pour it when it is that hot for a surface where heavy objects will be driving across but as a paver patio, it should be plenty strong enough.

Yeah in retrospect I probably should have delayed it but I didn't really know what to expect. The concrete driver was super awesome though. Even thoguh it wasn't his duty to do anything at all, he helped us pour and screed it as well and a bunch of other things. Top notch guy! This is 3500 psi concrete fiber reinforced. It also has 3-4 inches of 1B gravel underneath with geo grid as well.

I've been wetting the concrete and leaving the plastic cover on it. I will probably leave the plastic cover for at least 1 full week. Yeah no driving here... only furniture and people will be on this!

And since I changed my wifes engine oil the day before, I used it to drench the insides of the forms with it. Hopefully that will help with removing the forms!

Those pavers are probably 400-500 lbs EACH!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:23:00 AM by MrSal »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Life's too short to mix that much concrete by hand.  I'm all for doing things yourself as long as you aren't trading longevity for dollars, and concrete is really terrible stuff to work with for your health.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Life's too short to mix that much concrete by hand.  I'm all for doing things yourself as long as you aren't trading longevity for dollars, and concrete is really terrible stuff to work with for your health.

Yeah... a couple or maybe 10 bags I thought it would be doable but once I did the math and called for 60-75 bags I said helll no! Especially since the price was about the same! In essence it took about 2-3 hours of work (the pour) instead of probably a few weeks of super hard work of just mixing it + cost of mixer. Totally worth it to have a truck come!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
and it looks awesome!!!

If I had known, I actually prefer much more the edges of the pavers that are straight and not rounded. They look super crisp and cut. I think they came out great, and the little mistakes we did are imperceptible and/or are going to be concealed by gravel/rocks/marble stones.

We took the forms off, wetted the concrete again, and plastic membrane back on top for at least 3-4 more days.

theoverlook

• Pencil Stache
That concrete looks great! I've been agonizing over paver cost and selection for a replacing a patio behind my house and you have me considering poured concrete like yours. A concrete truck could not get to my patio location so it would either have to be pumped or hauled in by equipment or mixed by hand.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
That concrete looks great! I've been agonizing over paver cost and selection for a replacing a patio behind my house and you have me considering poured concrete like yours. A concrete truck could not get to my patio location so it would either have to be pumped or hauled in by equipment or mixed by hand.

The truck couldn't get to our yard either. We are lucky that the backyard is towards a cul de sac/circle so the truck drove on the sidewalk and then we had to take down our fence for the shoot to be able to reach it. A pump might be a good idea. It makes the job much more clean and without waste since you can pour at will.

Today we added marble rocks on the grooves and it's starting to look great!

Now it's only a matter of building the planter, installing the border, and little details. Then tomorrow is deck time!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Deck coming along. Time is not much especially with the rain at end of day which halts everything.

Yesterday after got home we were able to get a beam in and the first row of footings levels as well as putting the hangers in

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Slowly coming along...

We got the first half of the deck - 260 sq ft - joisted. We cut all the joists to the spec needed and dipped all cuts in a bucket w/ 1 gallon of that Copper treatment.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:28:50 PM by MrSal »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2019, 07:04:09 PM »
Well, after a couple weeks all I have to say is I am disappointed.

Everyone says bad things about Lowe's wood however that is not my experience. Lowes doesn't carry Ground contact wood for the most part only from 2x10 upwards and 6x6s upwards. Also all their wood is #2 Pine.

I called a lumberyard nearby that has a reputation of having good wood and all their wood is #1. I called and they had all PT ground contact wood with the right concentration of treatment. I ordered it. The 2x6's and 2x8's were pretty straight and ok. They had knots but since it was for the structure i didn't care.

However, the decking boards they are PREMIUM grade #1 Pine. They honestly feel like the Standard 5/4 available at Lowes - Lowes has the Standard and then a Premium option although still #2.

This premium we got is rough and lot of knots to the point they are not even normal knots but very rough. My other deck section, the decking is from Lowes #2 Premium, and it is super smooth. It feels like it was sanded down all the way to 220 or more.

Other than this, it's all good. I doubht I can return these boards since it was a full pallette?

Anyhow, heres how it looks so far:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:14:28 PM by MrSal »

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2019, 01:53:02 PM »
Everyone says bad things about Lowe's wood however that is not my experience.

I think statements like this don't take into account how much the Walmart Effect has chanced the purchasing landscape. Back in the day, you used to find superior product at local mom and pop places over going to big box stores. But as the Walmarts of the world (and I would lump Lowes into this category) took over, they began to drive suppliers to the point where even the local mom and pop places only have access to the same stuff as the big box stores. All others have gone out of business from lack of sales. (This ability to drive the supply market is called the Walmart Effect and lots of studies have been done on it.) Then supply and demand takes over and the big box store does so much more business, they end up getting the choice of the supply left selling simply because they order so much more.

Now for much of my wood needs, I go to places that saw and dry lumber directly on micro scales. They don't have the capacity to even attempt to woo the Walmarts of the world but the quality is ten times what I can find anywhere else.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2019, 06:23:19 PM »
That's the thing. I went in thinking I would get much better quality from the local lumberyard supply - like the mom and pop shop... However, I would have definitely had been better served with Lowe's wood.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2019, 11:54:56 PM »
Looking good.  Don't forget to seal it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6c4Nupnup0

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2019, 06:04:04 AM »
Looking good.  Don't forget to seal it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6c4Nupnup0
Brilliant. Deck and caulk. Aussie style. ;-)