Author Topic: DIY - Decking + Backyard + Backyard Office/Extra Room + OPEN SPACE KITCHEN  (Read 51290 times)

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: DIY - Decking + Backyard + Backyard Office/Extra Room
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2017, 03:16:28 PM »
Really nice work!  Posting to follow along with your next projects.

Sorry if I missed it, but do you plan on any staining on the deck?

Before I did this... i was set on staining it...

Now... I am not so sure. I might just go the clear coat for protection only... still undecided.

My painting contractor is a big fan of clear, penetrating finishes. He typically pressure washes, then saturates the deck with a clear or slightly tinted finish. Thompsons water seal is probably the best know, widely available product of this type. Seems to me that any time I've done them in anything thicker than a fully transparent stain, it just results in quickly wearing through the finish in traffic areas.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2017, 04:31:55 PM »
Really nice work!  Posting to follow along with your next projects.

Sorry if I missed it, but do you plan on any staining on the deck?

Before I did this... i was set on staining it...

Now... I am not so sure. I might just go the clear coat for protection only... still undecided.

My painting contractor is a big fan of clear, penetrating finishes. He typically pressure washes, then saturates the deck with a clear or slightly tinted finish. Thompsons water seal is probably the best know, widely available product of this type. Seems to me that any time I've done them in anything thicker than a fully transparent stain, it just results in quickly wearing through the finish in traffic areas.

Yup I was at Lowes today getting acquainted with all the brands and finishes... Thompson was defintely one of them... anyway it's still a long way to stain it yet... I need to let the wood breathe and dry a bit before doing it. Probably will do it in the fall or something. Will try to test a few samples before.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2017, 07:49:16 PM »
In hindsight, you could have raised the entire deck to the door level, and then had a step down on the sides.

I really like that fence style -- did you DIY too?

I'm also interested in building an office/studio someday.  Might never happen, but it's fun to think about.  Following

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2017, 08:16:15 PM »
In hindsight, you could have raised the entire deck to the door level, and then had a step down on the sides.

I really like that fence style -- did you DIY too?

I'm also interested in building an office/studio someday.  Might never happen, but it's fun to think about.  Following

True but the problem is... at that height, the height towards the roof would be lost and it would feel cramped. I hypothesized that, however we settled getting the deck as low to the floor as possible.

Yes, the fence was a DIY of mine as well:

And the couches are also DIY:

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2017, 12:55:23 AM »
Cool, is it the same wood?  If I were to go looking for that lumber, what should I request?

Ps why do you think this style is more modern looking?  Does it require higher quality lumber?  Or is it a technically disadvantageous design compared to tradition but people choose it anyways just to be different?

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2017, 08:27:39 AM »
Cool, is it the same wood?  If I were to go looking for that lumber, what should I request?

Ps why do you think this style is more modern looking?  Does it require higher quality lumber?  Or is it a technically disadvantageous design compared to tradition but people choose it anyways just to be different?

I think it's more modern looking. At least to what the trend has been in the past decade... a lot has to do with the straight angles and create a continuity that is very predominant in architecture nowadays, if I were to guess.

The wood of the fence yes, it's the same wood of the deck although not the same dimensions. The fence is 1x6 standard (actual thickness 3/4 inch) while deck is 5/4 thickness. Just normal pressure treated pine.

As regarding to disadvantageous ... i think the opposite. It makes the yard look bigger due to perspective of the lines and it gives more depth. Also, it goes up much faster since you are screwing 8/16 foot boards at a time horizontally vs the typical vertical 6ft board.

The couches are just 2x4 studs put together.

You can go higher quality such as exotic woods but it gets pricey but it might be worth it for longevity. Ipe and any brazilian type of wood and you will die before you need to do anything to it.

it comes at a cost though about 3-4x more expensive than treated pine... its around 2.5/3 dollars per ln foot vs less than 1$ for treated pine

Althouygh you can probably get cheaper and same quality on other exotic woods such as tigerwood or massaranduba at around 1.5 dollar per ln foot

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:34:03 AM by MrSal »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2017, 11:10:27 AM »
Looks good!
My only suggestion is to double-check the code for your step into the house. I know they've gotten a lot pickier about this lately (i.e. rise, depth, and when you need a landing).

Yup its up to code. Rise... depth... etc ... and landing is the whole deck :D

Not sure if that's been inspected yet, or needs to be, but according to the  IRC code that covers most areas of your state, that small step is a pretty serious code violation. There has to be a landing in front of most doors, not just a single step. With an outswing door, like a screen door, it's actually a bit more than a picky rule, it's a pretty dangerous set-up. Here is the section and subsection:

R311.3 Floors and landings at exterior doors. There shall be a landing or floor on each side of each exterior door. The width of each landing shall not be less than the door served. Every landing shall have a minimum dimension of 36 inches measured in the direction of travel.

It's a cheap, easy thing to fix and a nice 4' wide x 3' deep "box" step makes the door a lot safer and easier to use.
That's interesting--I'm just about to replace our (original, tiny, all-pressure-treated, cheapest-builder-grade, 10-year-old, very warped) deck, and it was originally built 6" below the height of the interior floor, so it's a single step down.  The new deck will be level with the inside so that I get lots of luxurious storage space beneath, but I had no idea it was a code requirement in a lot of areas.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2017, 03:57:55 PM »
well its not a code here! :) confirmed it and the guys said it was more than fine.

They actually congratulated me for taking so many steps and precautions with the deck that they haven't seen in the area even with professional builders.

So its all good there!

Regarding the extension of the deck, my wife and I were discussing and I think we might do it in concrete instead. Not a slab of concrete which is kinda ugly but instead giant pavers! We already have the warmth this deck provides and then the pavers in concrete with make a nice contrast with the green and warmth of the deck.

And makes things easier since we would dodge having to dig 6 inches or more of dirt!

I like the idea of doing giant pavers for a 600 sq feet patio ... still, its a lot of work but not as much as the deck. Probably cheaper too!

Instead of doing concrete by ourselves or using a mixer... i might hire a pour! for a 500 sq foot patio where maybe 60-75% is actual pour... how much would that be in concrete?

Do I need to add wire mesh or if I ask them to add fiberglass to the mix would be enough for strength?

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2017, 05:32:55 PM »
well its not a code here! :) confirmed it and the guys said it was more than fine.

Ha, one of the reasons I don't regret retiring.  Your guy says it's just fine (realistically, it isn't and can be a tripping hazard) You go one township away, and another inspector  would red flag the thing, make you tear it out, do it exactly by the book, and then charge you $75 to reinspect it. The whole system is a total cluster-F.  Glad it worked out for you. They are right, BTW, your workmanship looks great.

I had discussed the option of having a building built off site and delivered, in earlier posts. Up until today, I hadn't seen anything built by the local Amish shed industry that looked remotely modern. Today, I stopped at lappstructures.com in New Holland. If you go to their website and look at the "studio" photo album, there is a pic. that looks very similar to the ones you posted, and I'm sure it's a small fraction of what some of those things ended up costing. They have a similar one on display.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2017, 07:26:13 PM »

Ha, one of the reasons I don't regret retiring.  Your guy says it's just fine (realistically, it isn't and can be a tripping hazard) You go one township away, and another inspector  would red flag the thing, make you tear it out, do it exactly by the book, and then charge you $75 to reinspect it. The whole system is a total cluster-F.  Glad it worked out for you. They are right, BTW, your workmanship looks great.

I had discussed the option of having a building built off site and delivered, in earlier posts. Up until today, I hadn't seen anything built by the local Amish shed industry that looked remotely modern. Today, I stopped at lappstructures.com in New Holland. If you go to their website and look at the "studio" photo album, there is a pic. that looks very similar to the ones you posted, and I'm sure it's a small fraction of what some of those things ended up costing. They have a similar one on display.

Thanks!

Totally agree that rules and ordinances differing from town to town are a Cluster F ....

Regarding that lapstructures website... is that an amish one or something?

I assume by modern, you were talking about this one I saw:

Will take them into consideration once i get to that point!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2017, 04:00:30 AM »

Thanks!

Totally agree that rules and ordinances differing from town to town are a Cluster F ....

Regarding that lapstructures website... is that an amish one or something?

I assume by modern, you were talking about this one I saw:

Will take them into consideration once i get to that point!

Well, based on the town they are in, and the way the management dresses, I'm pretty sure that this particular company is Mennonite, but it's pretty similar. The industry is interesting. There are dozens of manufacturers concentrated in the area. Some are small operations running out of the barn at a local Amish farm, and only selling wholesale to dealers. Others are huge operations, with retail sales offices, and dozens of carpenters, who build everything from the small shed shown in your back yard pictures to massive two story garages that come in 4-6 sections and get set with a crane. What used to be a few choices of plain storage sheds is now everything from finished man caves and stand alone studios/office space, to fancy pool houses with bars and outdoor kitchens.

p125153

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2017, 06:41:37 PM »
Following! Closing on a house in August and looking to do something similar in our backyard.

Also - could you explain how you use coupons/gift cards to save $ at Lowe's? Would be very interested to learn!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2017, 05:04:04 PM »
So... this happened.

I teared down a bear loading wall/stairwell that leads to both attic and basement.

The goal is to have an open space kitchen/living room and make a sort of hollow island that leads to basement, but we will have the island to use!

We are doing it ourselves as well...

I just finished today putting the 22 foot LVL beam. 3 LVLs at 2x12 inch each and a span of 22 feet!

Tearing down the wall and with everything in sight ... I had to plan and reroute the wiring. Between eliminating unnecessary outlets and rerouting the wiring...

Me being a "stud" ... :D

Temporary walls up in order to bring the beam up:

Up in the attic during 90+F weather (yes we timed it marvelously after last week it was in the low 70s here) ...

I never sweated so much in my entire life... and dealing with fiberglass, cutting ceiling joists and moving around in a very low pitch roof was a bitch... but after the beam was in I felt amazing!! Not that everything is done yet ...

The row with room waiting for the 3 LVLs being put in... 6 inches total and all the joist hangers underneath ready...

One of the little beams (only 8 foot span) ...

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2017, 05:21:42 PM »
And finally... the big boy!

Oh I forgot to mention the 16 footers i did joining the rafters to avoid the chance of the roof putting force against the exterior walls and pulling the ceiling joists away from the new beam (even though i am using joist hangers on every single one and reinforcing everything.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2017, 07:56:59 AM »
Regarding the joist cutting, hangers, resolving rafter thrust created, etc.  There is another option, if you do anything like this again. You simply run the beam over the overlapping ceiling joists, and attach each joist pair with strap hangers. This eliminates a lot of extra work and doesn't compromise the structure. Fine Homebuilding magazine had a recent article on the topic.  I nearly lost the roof of a new home that was framed exactly like this. It was a 5/12 slope ranch with a flat ceiling over a great room. The plans called for a flush beam with hangers AND 30" flat straps with 12" nailed to the bottom of the joist and the rest wrapped around the beam. The framers didn't install the straps and we had a significant wet snow. I arrived at the job to find hangers pulled out and walls bowing. It was a huge undertaking, with jacking and cabling. Winching etc. To get the structure straightened out. I know you installed collar ties, but you might want to think about removing a wide strip of sheetrock under the beam and properly strapping those joists. The thrust loads at the outside wall are stunning large on low pitched roofs, and it's a bitch to fix later.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:15:09 AM by paddedhat »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2017, 09:35:01 AM »
Regarding the joist cutting, hangers, resolving rafter thrust created, etc.  There is another option, if you do anything like this again. You simply run the beam over the overlapping ceiling joists, and attach each joist pair with strap hangers. This eliminates a lot of extra work and doesn't compromise the structure. Fine Homebuilding magazine had a recent article on the topic.  I nearly lost the roof of a new home that was framed exactly like this. It was a 5/12 slope ranch with a flat ceiling over a great room. The plans called for a flush beam with hangers AND 30" flat straps with 12" nailed to the bottom of the joist and the rest wrapped around the beam. The framers didn't install the straps and we had a significant wet snow. I arrived at the job to find hangers pulled out and walls bowing. It was a huge undertaking, with jacking and cabling. Winching etc. To get the structure straightened out. I know you installed collar ties, but you might want to think about removing a wide strip of sheetrock under the beam and properly strapping those joists. The thrust loads at the outside wall are stunning large on low pitched roofs, and it's a bitch to fix later.

Do you have a link to the article? I somehow am not visualizing it... I can picture the beam being on top of the joists and then using the twist ties like this right:

But what I am not picturing is where would the beam sit ... the exterior wall or just on top of the joists which would then be supported by the load walls?

Regarding removing the sheet rock under the beam... what do you mean? currently, under the beam there is the stairwell wall partition in the pictures, which will be removed. Under the beam, there will be nothing other than just drywall to cover the opening.

EDIT: Oh sorry nevermind... you stated to just remove a wide stripping of the drywall/plaster to have access to the joists etc... how would you proper tie the joists then to the beam?

Btw, English is not my main language so sometimes the technical terms get the best of me... (By collar ties, you mean the joist hangers or the wood boards strapping each rafter above the ceiling joists?

Here's a crude picture of what is more or less in place:

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:39:39 AM by MrSal »

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2017, 01:23:34 PM »
Sal I'm on the road and out if data, I'll try to find the article and get back to you tomorrow night.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2017, 05:07:28 AM »
Sal I'm on the road and out if data, I'll try to find the article and get back to you tomorrow night.

OK, here is the article, you may have to sign up for a trial membership to read the whole thing, but there is a fairly self explanatory illustration on the cover page.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2015/03/04/remove-one-wall-and-join-two-rooms

When it comes to using flat straps to tie your joists to the beam, you can take one like this:

http://www.fastenersplus.com/Simpson-ST22-22-16-Gauge-Strap-Tie-G90-Galvanized?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtpDMBRC4ARIsADhz5O7c7ExtPQNpERxW1dS9l00VHxJmBheSE0oiYiiMcqSIPA7E3rCl91AaAqfwEALw_wcB

This strap can be nailed to the underside of each joist, then wrapped under the bottom of the beam, and up the other side. I would use the short joist hanger nails and be sure to flatten the points on them before nailing the bottom of the joist, since it's easy to split this area apart.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2017, 10:34:25 AM »
great!

Good idea on using those... !! Never a bad idea to overbuild!

Since that tie is very long, and the forces exerted are perpendicular to the tie, I am sure it will maintain the joists in place.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »
OK, here is the article, you may have to sign up for a trial membership to read the whole thing, but there is a fairly self explanatory illustration on the cover page.
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that there's nothing holding up the new beam, and he's about to knock out the only studs that are supporting that ceiling?  (I realize the beam and strap are photoshopped in, and that it's not showing the whole beam, but still)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2017, 02:58:15 PM »
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that there's nothing holding up the new beam, and he's about to knock out the only studs that are supporting that ceiling?  (I realize the beam and strap are photoshopped in, and that it's not showing the whole beam, but still)

??

Of course their are supported... the beam is supported by bearing walls at the extremity of the beam... i think that was self implied.

The beam would have no effect if it would just be there "floating" ... the beam is sitting 2.5 feet on each extremity on the top plates of load bearing walls

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »

I agree it is an odd looking affair. The article is pretty helpful however. I also notice the intentional wavy edge on the "cut" end of the beam, which indicated a continuation in drafting language. I find it a bit funny that Fine Homebuilding has a habit of photographing jobs close to their home base in New England. So the rest of us look at that shot and ask, who wasted all that time and material strapping all the walls and ceiling, and why?

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »
ohh i guess zolotyeruki was mentioning the article ... :D

Yeah thats odd indeed... but inside the article it looks ok!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2017, 12:31:29 PM »
Since last time, we took down the stairs and reversed them, so that going down would be from the hallway area and in order to center the kitchen within the living roon and kitchen.

We also took all the supports down and I built the joists in the hole to the attic.

With that, in order to still maintain access to the attic, I built/cut out an attic access door in the coat closed in the hallway - just a 2x2 ft hole.

So far it stands like this...

This weekend, I intend to start the structure of the island, which is probably very easy and fast and start putting the drywall on it ... Monday Ill have a drywall guy coming in to patch the big hole in the ceiling. I know how to drywall a little bit however I think in such a high visibility area... I want it to be perfect and fast hence outsourcing it.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2017, 06:06:09 PM »
Please put a temporary rail around that hole. I have seen too many horrific injuries caused by open holes like that. Nothing fancy, a couple of 2x4s screwed to the band joists as posts, and a top rail of 2x4. Or, screw a sheet of 3/4" plywood over the hole.

If you are going to sub out the sheetrock, set it up so that there are no joints anywhere near the new beam. Ideally there would be a full sheet running parallel with the beam, with 2' of drywall on each side of the joint. If a joint ends up under a beam like that, it cracks, immediately, then the crack opens and closes seasonally, with the weather and humidity fluctuations, rendering it unpatchable.  Yep, this piece of helpful info. was learned at the school of hard knocks, as I have made this mistake before, and there is no solution other than digging the joint open and installing a commercial metal drywall expansion "V" joint where the crack was.

the1Cruben

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • iheartguys
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2017, 11:54:06 PM »
These are some of the most quality DIY office buildings I've seen. I could mistake it for a professional job.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2017, 12:54:01 AM »
Please put a temporary rail around that hole. I have seen too many horrific injuries caused by open holes like that. Nothing fancy, a couple of 2x4s screwed to the band joists as posts, and a top rail of 2x4. Or, screw a sheet of 3/4" plywood over the hole.

If you are going to sub out the sheetrock, set it up so that there are no joints anywhere near the new beam. Ideally there would be a full sheet running parallel with the beam, with 2' of drywall on each side of the joint. If a joint ends up under a beam like that, it cracks, immediately, then the crack opens and closes seasonally, with the weather and humidity fluctuations, rendering it unpatchable.  Yep, this piece of helpful info. was learned at the school of hard knocks, as I have made this mistake before, and there is no solution other than digging the joint open and installing a commercial metal drywall expansion "V" joint where the crack was.

Yup the hole is closed already with a sheet of plywood where the fall would be greater. the other side already has the stairs attached.

I will let the drywaller know that for sure... I dont want any cracks that's for sure!!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2017, 04:56:25 PM »
And pretty much done regarding the living room:

Just need to order the countertop which should be around 130 dollars for the cherry butcher block...

and then paint it... whcih i took advantasge of the 40% off Sherwrin Williams promo ... premium paint for 30$ gallon fdor their top of the line paint... :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2017, 04:15:16 PM »
I like the creativity!  What does the tunnel under the counter look like?  Have you considered putting in a slide?

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2017, 03:18:23 PM »
I like the creativity!  What does the tunnel under the counter look like?  Have you considered putting in a slide?

So far it looks pretty normal... I am going to close it with drywall. I am going to keep the joists and rim boards on the side exposed, however I am going to sand it down a bit and then oil it to a finish look. I think the contrast between the white and the wood look will make it look awesome.

Then Ill just refinish the steps and and some presence/nice lights on the tunnel to guide you down the basement, which we will finish this winter as well.

Btw, does anyone have an idea of countertop butcher block cost?

I wasn't expecting as much... our island is pretty big ... at about 7 feet and 4 feet wide... wihch with 10 inch overhangs is gonna be almost 30 sq ft in butcher block...

I went to the guy that did our kitchen cabinet doors, and he quoted us 20$ sq foot for the butcher block - cherry and walnut I think.... so about $600 for the butcher block

This seems pricey to me and its almost 30% of what we spent in our whole little project so far :D ... our LVL beam was like 270$ or so ...oh well

Searching online I can't find anything lower than 35-40 dollars... so I am assuming the Amish guy I went to is a steal ...just wanting to confirm prices w everyone else....

EDIT: Although I seem to have found at Ikea pretty nice wood butcher blocks that look cost effective... maybe buying 2 and then join them with pocket wholes from the underside? Thoughts? Unless the quote from amish guy includes installing which would be neat!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:36:04 PM by MrSal »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2017, 05:04:08 PM »
At some point you can definitely make your own.  It's just wood, glue, sanding and cutting right?

Ultimately depends on the lumber cost

I think the IKEA stuff is more like bamboo which is cheaper

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »
$20 is a steal.  DIY on butcher block is a lot more complex that you might think. First, all rough material is planed on all sides to tight tolerances. Second, the glue-up requires a ton of long bar clamps, and experience in how to clamp wide assemblies, to keep the piece from bowing either up or down.  Finally, most shops run the finished product through a massive drum sander, similar to a planer, to get a nice even, smooth finish.  Not only would most DIY involve a pretty heavy investment in tools, I doubt that, absent a commercial large capacity planer and drum sander, you would end up with a professional looking finished product. Not to say that you wouldn't succeed, but I'm guessing most would look at the effort, cost and finished product and wish they had bought them.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2017, 06:55:20 PM »

So far it looks pretty normal... I am going to close it with drywall. I am going to keep the joists and rim boards on the side exposed, however I am going to sand it down a bit and then oil it to a finish look. I think the contrast between the white and the wood look will make it look awesome.

Then Ill just refinish the steps and and some presence/nice lights on the tunnel to guide you down the basement, which we will finish this winter as well.

Btw, does anyone have an idea of countertop butcher block cost?

I wasn't expecting as much... our island is pretty big ... at about 7 feet and 4 feet wide... wihch with 10 inch overhangs is gonna be almost 30 sq ft in butcher block...

I went to the guy that did our kitchen cabinet doors, and he quoted us 20$ sq foot for the butcher block - cherry and walnut I think.... so about $600 for the butcher block

This seems pricey to me and its almost 30% of what we spent in our whole little project so far :D ... our LVL beam was like 270$ or so ...oh well

Searching online I can't find anything lower than 35-40 dollars... so I am assuming the Amish guy I went to is a steal ...just wanting to confirm prices w everyone else....

EDIT: Although I seem to have found at Ikea pretty nice wood butcher blocks that look cost effective... maybe buying 2 and then join them with pocket wholes from the underside? Thoughts? Unless the quote from amish guy includes installing which would be neat!

A buddy of mine just put in a 7'x4'x2" black walnut butcher block. He had it made in Tennessee. Total cost was 40/sf delivered.  $20 / sf is a great price.  I wouldn't want to diy more than a cutting board...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2017, 07:33:09 AM »
I guess my island is that big... funny, because last time I considered them for my nomral kitchen countertops I was quoted 250$ ... while the island is almost tripe !!! :O

Maybe they increased the prices - my countertops are about 20 sq feet ... I dont know.

Anyhow, I will go with them... hopefully they will seal it too. The butcher block certainly is pretty... they have 2 options:

A maple block and a cherry/walnut block ... I am inclined to go with the cherry one especially since island is going to be brown to match bottom cabinets of kitchen...

trammatic

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2017, 08:04:40 AM »
I like the look of that cherry/walnut!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2017, 08:59:28 PM »
I like the look of that cherry/walnut!

Yup me too. I was pretty convinced already but my wife before getting the sample was more towards the maple one...

Once she put the cherry/walnut mix on the top she said right away - Cherry/Walnut !

Another thing is... we were pretty convinced we would paint the island the same color as the other cabinets to match the tuxedo ... the paint is Ralph Lauren Brown I dont know from where but mixed with Benjamin Moore... however, now that it is white from the primer ... we kinda like it.

It makes the room feel much fresher and clean and bright so we might stick with the white island :D

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »
Quick question to the builders around here or savvy DIYers...

My attic I have cleaned the previous insulation and I am preparing to put new insulation. There was only 4 inches or so of fiberglass. There was NO vapor barrier at all...

I live in Central PA, I am putting in cellulose as insulation. Do I need to add a vapour barrier? What if I put some ISO panels first (I was considering some ISO foam panels I saw on CL from a building site... leftovers at 10$ per 8x4 sheet with 2-3 inch thickness.

The more I read about vapor barriers the more confused I get...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2017, 02:06:48 PM »

My attic I have cleaned the previous insulation and I am preparing to put new insulation. There was only 4 inches or so of fiberglass. There was NO vapor barrier at all...

I live in Central PA, I am putting in cellulose as insulation. Do I need to add a vapour barrier? What if I put some ISO panels first (I was considering some ISO foam panels I saw on CL from a building site... leftovers at 10$ per 8x4 sheet with 2-3 inch thickness.

In a cooler climate, you want your vapor barrier (or vapor retarder) to be toward the interior of the house.  So it might actually be there, buried under the fiberglass.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »

In a cooler climate, you want your vapor barrier (or vapor retarder) to be toward the interior of the house.  So it might actually be there, buried under the fiberglass.

its not... because i took the fiberglass out and there was none...

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2017, 03:17:12 PM »
No, you're fine without a vapor barrier, and with the exception of a light layer of sprayed closed cell polyurethane, you would have little success in retrofitting a barrier to the backside of a flat ceiling.  I have done countless new homes in PA. with sprayed in fiberglass and cellulose, and it is code compliant, and very efficient, especially cellulose.  IMHO, I wouldn't waste my time trying fit rigid foam between ceiling joists, it's a real PITA and tough to do, without leaving voids.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2017, 01:39:47 PM »
Gotcha! Thanks a lot!

Now for pure giggles!

We want to turn one of the windows, which in the pictures is the one by the fridge into a clear glass door - like a French door, and also the door that leads to the deck on the side porch to be full glass ...

I did a couple appointments and had one guy from Pella coming to our house... NEVER in my mind was I prepared for the quote he gave me for essentially 2 doors! The guy even said "Dont laugh"

I was quoted 14,000 dollars!

I went to Lowes today, and although I am sure the doors are probably not as good I got both doors for about 650 dollars total with coupons applied... While I am sure they aren't as good maybe - U-factor is very close though - I dont think its worth paying 13k ... unless they are made with gold I don't see a reason!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2017, 04:49:15 AM »
Not surprised by the Pella quote. Our neighborhood chat site had a question about replacement windows recently. It turned into a rant and warning to avoid the local "Renewal by Anderson" franchise, with tales of an $18K quote for a small number of replacement double hungs, and calling the town cops to remove an aggressive salesperson, who was making a third attempt to badger a homeowner into signing a contract. A few years back my elderly grandmother called, and was very upset that she had signed a contract for three or four thousand dollars,  to replace two windows in her kitchen. I asked why she didn't use the local handyman who did a good job on the other windows she replaced? She got a nice mailer and called the 800 number, which quickly led to a high pressure salesman at her door. I had her call and cancel, AND send a certified cancellation notice to the company. She then called the handyman, who did two windows, including a large fixed glass unit for $900.  Sadly, there are many scumbag outfits in the game, and many prey on the elderly.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2017, 11:20:25 PM »
I am leaving here a photo update because I bet a lot of you might be curious on how it is looking now...

I can tell you ... the French doors - I put a double French door and a single one leading to the pateo - make a huge difference!! If the room already felt big after we tore the wall down ... with the all glass doors on both sides it feels even bigger. Even though our ceilings are not very tall, this made a big big difference.

Unfortunately, the amish guy we ordered our countertop is swamped in work and he still hasn't delivered the countertop! Same for our metal railings which we are waiting for...

But so far so good!

Only thing missing is rails ... do the trim/molding around the doors on the inside... and countertop!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: DIY - Decking + Backyard + Backyard Office/Extra Room + OPEN SPACE KITCHEN
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2017, 06:04:34 AM »
Wow, that's looking really nice!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »
Yeah thanks!

Just waiting on the guy to deliver on the counter top!!

And I did something the past week as well... I am currently in Portugal, on vacation.

My mother lives in a big city apartment with about 600 sq ft of outdoor area...

Taking the knowledge of what I learned during summer on making a deck, I did one for my mother and materials were quite cheap.

The difference between the outdoor area - it was just tile ... and makes the space look so much different.

This was much easier than mine I felt :D

Here's the after and Ill try to get the before pictures!

I did the decking, the seating area at the end with the leftovers from deck... lighting... bamboo screen above the concrete wall looks much better!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:20:34 PM by MrSal »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2017, 12:19:10 PM »
This will add about 30-50k alone to the value of the house. Its a very hot market here with all the toursits buying houses and almost no inventory.

A house with a nice outdoor area attracts a lot of attention here, making people bid the prices up...

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »
Looks great. At first glance I thought, "why is there a ship at the end of that patio?"  That's one harsh looking apartment building, or whatever it is, back there.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2017, 09:56:13 AM »
Looks great. At first glance I thought, "why is there a ship at the end of that patio?"  That's one harsh looking apartment building, or whatever it is, back there.

They probably rent those rooms out now as having a "view".

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2017, 05:51:44 PM »
ahha yes. its ugly that building... however itīs not an apartment complex... its an old market where you can still get fish directly from fisherman... lettuces from little producers and things like that...

I think it will be closing down soon and some nice luxury condo will go up...

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2017, 02:16:03 PM »
And here its an update of the open space so far... even though we already have the island countertop ... They delivered it wrong... this is oak and walnut, not cherry and walnut as it was requested.

The look is completely different than from the sample so I will probably have to go there this week and be the bearer of bad news to them ...

This thing is gigantic!

I also framed out the french door moldings... just need now to close the island off once i am done with electricty and also put up the glass railing system ... eventually stairs will be replaced.

Waiting as well for kitchen knobs!

I think it looks pretty good!

Only thing that wasnt done by me was the countertop :D