Author Topic: Crushed downspout repair/replacement  (Read 6659 times)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Crushed downspout repair/replacement
« on: October 17, 2017, 12:29:01 PM »
I recently had a tree removed from my back yard and in the process one of my downspouts was mostly crushed.  I did not notice the damage until after I had paid the contractor.  I have little hope of getting the contractor to repair the damage short of going to court. 

My existing trim and downspouts are a cream color that HomeDepot/Lowes dont carry in store and they dont seem to sell online with shipping to the store.  I did buy a white downspout from Lowes thinking the color might be ok but it really is not - it stands out very badly.  I found guttersupply.com and they have the color I need but the shipping is 200$.

Options:
1) Live with it.  It is not fully crushed and water can flow through it.  Cost 0$
2) Replace with white downspout.  Would look really dumb.  Cost 12$
3) Buy online.  Cost 230$
4) Paint white downspout to match.  Probably have to pre-treat the metal to hold the paint and I would have to repaint it every few years.  Cost ~20$
5) Try to reform the crushed tube.  I think with some angle iron I could get it mostly repaired and not obviously damaged.  Cost 0$  (buy and return materiel or barrow from work)
6) Talk to a local gutter company.  Not sure if they would do such a small job.  Would still cost 200$?  Cost ?
7) Post on MMM and hope someone has a good idea.

All the other gutters and downspouts are in fine shape and I would not think of replacing them any time soon. 

If anyone has any ideas I would be very interested to hear them. 

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: Crushed downspout repair/replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »
First I’d try to get my tree trimmer to pay for if since they damaged it.   There is a fair chance a local gutter company may have some of the color you need in stock?   If that doesn’t work out I’d probably buy a white one, wipe it down good with something to etch the paint , then spray paint it matching as close as possible.

TrMama

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 03:10:07 PM »
6b) Call local gutter company and ask for their price to buy just the length of downspout you need in the matching color. Install it yourself.

I wouldn't leave the crushed section in place. It will be more likely to back up during really wet weather and could collect debris in the crushed area, leading to even worse backing up.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 05:16:15 PM »
What about going with the dark brown color that the big box stores sell cheap? That would be less sore-thumb than a bright white.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 05:54:08 PM »
thanks all.  I think I will try TR's idea to call some local installers and see if they will sell me just a specific color downspout.  Hopefully if I pick it up at there site it wont be to expensive.  Thinking more about this it has to be somewhat common to only need a few parts ie car backs into a downspout or a tree branch hits something. 

I wont leave the crushed one in place permanently (probably should have noted that above) but I have gutter guards and have never seen much of anything in them.  Also we had lots of rain last week and I could see a good flow rate out the bottom. 

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 07:20:13 PM »
4) Paint white downspout to match.  Probably have to pre-treat the metal to hold the paint and I would have to repaint it every few years.  Cost ~20$

If you buy some good paint and do the required prep work, you might have to repaint it in a couple decades, not every few years.

My first option however would be to contact someone local in the business of gutters and ask them to price you out a section in the right color.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 03:25:24 PM »
A bigger gutter contractor will stock cases of ten ft. lengths of downspout in their warehouse. In this area, if it's the more common cream/almond color, it's one of their two most popular colors. If it's an unusual color, they can order a piece and have it shipped with their next incoming load from their supplier. Should be a pretty cheap easy fix.

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 01:38:05 PM »
Bring a small section into home depot to match in the paint department or find a matching spray paint can. Paint a white one. Mine still looks fine 6 years later. If you didn't notice it was crushed, you probably won't notice a slight color difference or chipping paint.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 08:18:27 AM »
Just picked up a replacement downspout from a small local independent installer.  Last weekend I emailed several installers asking to buy one tan downspout; none of them would/could do it but they did give me other people contact info.  Calling the people on this list got me in touch with someone who would sell one.  It looks like these guys have lots of odd one offs that they sell to home owners in my position.  In the end it cost me a few hours of time and 20$ to get the part.  Saturday should not have rain so I will try to get this job finished.  Thanks all for the good advice.