Author Topic: Created my first website, critiques are most desired  (Read 1771 times)

Kem

• Stubble
Created my first website, critiques are most desired
« on: May 16, 2019, 08:54:32 AM »
LuvKem.com

To help support my effort in educating our children against the grain: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/free-may-21-25-my-first-book!/

Thanks to all!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: Created my first website, critiques are most desired
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 04:36:45 PM »
Set your child on FI/RE!

Isn’t the text I’d use. Sure, I get it, but many others won’t. Good luck with the book sales.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 05:19:00 PM »
Sorry folks, hold on this.  I was making some major changes via blue host staging... And it didn't work as intended.
. The FIRE will not be on production.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 10:44:36 PM »
Ok. I have no idea what happened between production / staging.   I'm tossing a small sum to a pro to help me straighten out the kink and get  me over this hurdle.  That template will be backed up.
I'll ring back here when the mess is cleaned up.

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 11:53:15 AM »
You could always look to purchase a StudioPress theme which will allow you to control it all yourself.  They are reasonable, intuitive, and fairly professional looking, especially for a beginning effort.

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 12:08:54 PM »
I use a Linux box for my router and have a copy of my site running on it that I use for testing. It would take some technical skills, but you could do the same in a VM on virtual box.  If anyone is interested in this, let me know and I'll consider posting a guide on my site with instructions on how to do this.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 04:01:52 PM »
@Blueberries.  I pulled the trigger on this very late Sat morning, or perhaps it was Sunday morning.

The margins require a little tweaking on mobile, the paragraphs have an occasional line break lack (on 1 device but not another), and a couple images need updating.

BUT... the template is in place and the site is functional :)

LuvKem.com

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 03:46:24 AM »
The bad: When a word takes up two lines,  they aren't hyphenated. No contact page or privacy policy.

The good: It performs well. It looks good. It is obvious you are selling a book and clothing.

The subjective: The picture (of you?) at the beginning of some of the pages is a bit too big for my liking. I would add something at the top or sides with links to the main portions of your site.

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 08:10:58 AM »
I preferred the previous version. 

Here are my suggestions (take with a grain of salt):

1.)  I would add links into the white bar - Bio/About, Apparel, Blog, etc.  When I visit the site, it looks incomplete.
2.)  The large blank spot on the website when you open it is...off to my eye.  If you add links, as suggested above, you might not need to do this.  But, I might play around with centering the book in the page and/or adding text to the side to avoid the completely stark look (and I like a minimalist look!).
3.)  The photo for the bio is unnecessarily over-sized.  I would correct this.
4.)  You are a writer and I am not.  I do not want to offend you, but in reading the bio, it was clunky to me.  I made suggested edits below.  Keep in mind, this is just one random NON-WRITER'S opinion.

For nearly 2 decades I did not have the ability to cover basic emergencies.  I was living paycheck to paycheck and taking on even greater debts, growing poorer in body, mind, and spirit.  I had a host of great education (on paper), a big beautiful home, a new car every 4 years, 2 dogs, anything I wanted to eat, and many toys.

Like most Americans, I obtained The Dream by leveraging against any future happiness allotted to me. At the deepest, my cesspit sunk to $25K of credit card debt, $13K in personal loans, $25K in auto loans, $106K of student debt on degrees, and a $240K mortgage on an asset that dropped by $55K in the first year. This was all obtained from a measly base salary of roughly $50K.

Upon the arrival of my firstborn in 2012, my steadfast beliefs in the societal propaganda began to lift.  I had chosen to think my way out, culturing a mindset that questioned the impact of every choice and shed those which caused despair and desperation or conflicted with a free future.

After 3 years of research, number crunching, and planning, action was taken upon my body and my use of the almighty dollar. Between 2015 and 2019 each plan was tracked, tweaked, and reevaluated monthly.

•   Body: I’ve gone from 250 pounds with chronic back pain and severe depression to a 170-pound lean frame with no ongoing pain and a grateful outlook on life.

•   Mind: Shedding the cable subscription has increased my book consumption from a few fantasy novels in any given year to having at least 4 streams of advancement. Each day I make time to read at least 1 fiction, 1 personal growth, and 1 financial growth book in addition to listening to various podcasts and audiobooks.

•   Wallet: The plan has worked. I currently have 3 years of freedom, a positive net worth, and a now vetted plan to obtaining $1 million in personal assets prior to my eldest graduating high-school (and this is not the end).

Our future is bleak. In the course of shaking off the dazzling American brainwash, certain truths have been revealed. The big house, the flashy car, the inflated education – these all provide joy upon initial grasp but that blip of happiness is soon goon. The American Dream is more akin to a nightmare – for those seeking its advertised glories it creates enslavement to a system with little chance of respite.

This pain is easily preventable if given a financial education, an education not afforded to our children by our fine intuitions. Perhaps the most taboo topic in our culture, and a cycle I strive to break, is understanding how monies work.  Out of this frustration was born a set of guidelines which have evolved into books drafted as a gift to my daughters.

It is here that our story begins. It is here that I share that gift with you. Welcome to my Ride.

Timeline:

2005 – Dual BS Degrees in Aviation are granted – in a post Sept 11 world
2006 – Marriage to my SO, along with the big wedding and international trip
2008 – First full year in Career
2009 – House is purchased along with 2 dogs to grace the carpet with their blessings; a software degree and a post-grad business degree also are stuffed onto my shelf.
2012 – Weapon of mass disruption falls in the guise of my firstborn. Planning and research to break the cycle begins.
2015 – Plan Put into Action

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:44:54 AM by Blueberries »

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 08:26:48 AM »
You folks rock.
The bad: When a word takes up two lines, they aren't hyphenated. -The web-template currently resizes the width of the screen based on browsing device and appears to be splitting with no regard to word-breaks.  Investigating.
No contact page or privacy policy – looking into both. 
LifesPath Pic – Switching to an actual path picture soon.
1.)  I agree, adding links to separate pages rather than just blocked posts on the main-page
2.)  On computer screens I agree.  Currently the mainpage top block is for the books. 
a. Do you think a second book cover with ‘In Progress’ would suffice? 
b. Alternatively I could add a chunk of artwork. 
c. Or perhaps combine the Book and Apparel Grids together?
3.)  Working on resizing or replacing.
4.)  Are we all not writers at heart?  The path blurb is rough (very rough) and I know it.  I greatly appreciate the suggested edits!
And for everyone, no need to worry about offending me with shared thoughts, insights, or opinions.  Living in a void never leads to growth. 

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 08:58:42 AM »
For a contact form, I recommend the following plugins:

Contact Form 7 - easy to implement contact form
Contact Form 7 - reCaptcha v2 - Without it, the reCaptha v3 that is part of Contact Form 7 can break other plugins and themes.
WP Mail SMTP - More flexible that the standard mailer

For the privacy policy, Wordpress has a generator that you can borrow from. I would research the GDPR and in your case, definitely COPPA and see if they apply to you. I am not a lawyer, so I can't advise you beyond this.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 09:09:28 AM »
THANK YOU!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!