Author Topic: Concrete bench top with integrated sink / double vanity  (Read 2733 times)

Northern gal

• Bristles
  • Life at the beach shack
Concrete bench top with integrated sink / double vanity
« on: October 27, 2017, 05:34:22 AM »
DH had the idea of replacing our old bathroom sinks with a DIY concrete bench top with two integrated sinks. Similar to this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xlB1WlecU8Q

I really like the idea, it would go very well with the rest of the room and I'm confident he can pull it off.

We found a few instructables, but they were all from people who had freshly done it and who were thus understandably proud / positive.

I'd love to hear from anyone who may have built something similar and used it for a while. How did it hold up? Would you do anything differently?

TIA
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:45:57 AM by Northern gal »

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Concrete bench top with integrated sink / double vanity
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 07:39:47 AM »
I know two people who do concrete countertops as a business. Judging from what I have heard from them, witnessed, etc., there is a considerable learning curve to get one that looks like something you would be happy with in your home. I would place this sort of project in the advance DIY category.

PlainsWalker

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 09:17:19 AM »
I did a concrete counter top about six months ago. I didn't do the integrated basins and instead just left a hole to drop a stainless steel sink in. The project was more work than just slapping a prefab counter top down. It was however, much cheaper than a prefab. Total cost came to about $50 by the time I purchased the concrete, stain, edge forms, and concrete board backer.
It's been working well with no appreciable visible wear. If I were to do another counter I'd rent/borrow an insertion type concrete vibrator. I used my hammer drill with a bolt that I put a slight bend in to vibrate the concrete. It took a while and didn't get every little crevice filled. I'm calling the imperfections character. Another option is to get a concrete mix that doesn't require vibrating.

Northern gal

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 05:43:11 PM »
I know two people who do concrete countertops as a business. Judging from what I have heard from them, witnessed, etc., there is a considerable learning curve to get one that looks like something you would be happy with in your home. I would place this sort of project in the advance DIY category.

Thanks - I'd put us in that category.

Northern gal

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »
I did a concrete counter top about six months ago. I didn't do the integrated basins and instead just left a hole to drop a stainless steel sink in. The project was more work than just slapping a prefab counter top down. It was however, much cheaper than a prefab. Total cost came to about $50 by the time I purchased the concrete, stain, edge forms, and concrete board backer.
It's been working well with no appreciable visible wear. If I were to do another counter I'd rent/borrow an insertion type concrete vibrator. I used my hammer drill with a bolt that I put a slight bend in to vibrate the concrete. It took a while and didn't get every little crevice filled. I'm calling the imperfections character. Another option is to get a concrete mix that doesn't require vibrating.

Thanks, that's good to know. sounds like we should spend some time investigating the available products and rentals. I'd think it will still be cheap (I.e. cheaper than ordering one) enough.

Northern gal

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 08:04:36 PM »
So I thought I’d post an update on how we went :)

The first attempt was fully poured concrete and was too long and heavy so it broke as we tried to take it out of its cast.

For a second attempt we just built a frame out of marine plywood and resurfaced it. It doesn’t have integrated sinks but it does have a waterfall on one side and was pretty easy. It seems to holdup ok so far.

For any aussies, we used bunnings concrete resurfacer and a foodsafe matt sealer. And $5 IKEA bowls as vessel sinks
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:24:24 AM by Northern gal »

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 11:02:16 PM »
Wow! Looks good.

Northern gal

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 05:26:12 AM »
Wow! Looks good.

Thank you. The cupboard fronts will be a distressed beachy white but I don’t want to deal with solvents while preggers...

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 07:20:24 AM »
Congrats - that looks amazing. How did you all tackle the vibration of the filled form?  I have several counters I am considering this for and like you, have never done this before.  Any tips?  Thanks, aperture

Northern gal

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 09:11:23 PM »
Congrats - that looks amazing. How did you all tackle the vibration of the filled form?  I have several counters I am considering this for and like you, have never done this before.  Any tips?  Thanks, aperture

For the poured version we used kwikset which didn’t need it.
For resurfacing no vibration was needed either
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:14:50 AM by Northern gal »