Author Topic: Cold Brew Coffee - who has a recipe?  (Read 7154 times)

Acg

• Stubble
Cold Brew Coffee - who has a recipe?
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
I tried to do this once before but it just turned out awful.  I want to kick the Starbucks habit and this will go a long way to helping me achieve that.  Thanks!

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
Re: Cold Brew Coffee - who has a recipe?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:40:32 PM »
I use a 4:1 water: ground coffee ratio. Let it steep 24 hours, then filter it through a mesh strainer and a coffee filter (I really don't like sediment in my coffee).

Then when it's time to put a cup together, I use a 3:1 water:coffee concentrate ratio. Add milk and sweetener to taste. Delicious!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »
I use a 4:1 water: ground coffee ratio. Let it steep 24 hours, then filter it through a mesh strainer and a coffee filter (I really don't like sediment in my coffee).

Then when it's time to put a cup together, I use a 3:1 water:coffee concentrate ratio. Add milk and sweetener to taste. Delicious!

I have used a similar mix and liked it!  You can make it stronger up front and add more water later, or make it weaker and drink it strait.  Depends on preference, one just needs to experiment and figure out what you like.

Acg

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »
Do you let it steep for 24 hours as well?  I was reading that once you get past 12-16 hours, the additional steeping time can increase the bitterness.  Have you experienced this at all?

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »
I tried to do this once before but it just turned out awful.  I want to kick the Starbucks habit and this will go a long way to helping me achieve that.  Thanks!

If you're looking to kick the Starbucks habit by replicating their effects at home, here's the magic secret (don't tell I told, or they might come after me to get back that apron I forgot to return):

Use a bold roast (for most Starbucks-like taste, use Starbucks' Gazebo Blend, sometimes marketed as Ice coffee blend. Or just use the bold roast of your choosing).

Brew your coffee with twice the grounds (or half the water) that you would normally use.

When coffee is brewed, pour the hot coffee into a container full of ice which is the same volume as the amount of coffee you brewed.

When you are ready to drink your coffee, add some more ice (about 1 fl oz for ever 2 fl oz of iced coffee). If you like it sweetened, add 1 tsp of simple syrup for every 4 fl oz of this final mixture (including the ice you added).

Acg

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »

If you're looking to kick the Starbucks habit by replicating their effects at home, here's the magic secret (don't tell I told, or they might come after me to get back that apron I forgot to return):

Use a bold roast (for most Starbucks-like taste, use Starbucks' Gazebo Blend, sometimes marketed as Ice coffee blend. Or just use the bold roast of your choosing).

Brew your coffee with twice the grounds (or half the water) that you would normally use.

When coffee is brewed, pour the hot coffee into a container full of ice which is the same volume as the amount of coffee you brewed.

When you are ready to drink your coffee, add some more ice (about 1 fl oz for ever 2 fl oz of iced coffee). If you like it sweetened, add 1 tsp of simple syrup for every 4 fl oz of this final mixture (including the ice you added).

I don't even like Starbucks that much, thats the sick part.

Acg

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 08:15:48 PM »

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »
I don't even like Starbucks that much, thats the sick part.

LOL! Well then, forget all of those things that I said.

Actually, the double-strength brew policy is a generally good one to follow when making iced coffee. The rest is up to you.

Use it up, wear it out...

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 08:09:40 AM »
I've long used this recipe, with good results:

NYTimes cold-brewed iced coffee

CptPoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I play music and stuff
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »
I have had a really good experience using a french press. I do a normal "hot brew" at night before I go to bed and I put the french press in the fridge overnight. When I wake up I have some delicious iced coffee. Its not a cold-brew method, but it works pretty well if your goal is to make iced coffee.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!