Author Topic: Clawfoot tub refinishing  (Read 1565 times)

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
Clawfoot tub refinishing
« on: January 20, 2019, 02:53:20 PM »
I have an old clawfoot tub that I would like to refinish as part of my bathroom renno. I'm doing the rest of the bathroom DIY, but this is one part I would like to hand off to a pro. The tub has been refinished in the past, which is failing inside and out. The inside is white and the outside is black, which I would like to maintain.

I am surprised/disappointed that Mirical Method has quoted over $1000 for this job. Also, they asked to do the job after the tub is reinstalled in the bathroom, which means there is no way they can possibly spray the back and bottom of the tub properly. Wouldn't it make more sense to do the job when the tub is out of the bathroom and accessible from all sides?

Do you have any experience with MM or other tub refinishing companies that you can share?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:08:57 AM by jpdx »

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Clawfoot tub refinishing
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 12:41:10 PM »
I've never refinished one because as you found out, it is quite expensive. Did the place that quoted you say it must be installed or simply in the room where it is to be installed? I'm sure they are just wanting to avoid having to move one through a doorway or up a set of stairs because they are extremely heavy. I would want all sides of it finished which means it has to be away from the wall.

Here is a video that I saw a couple years ago that shows the steps involved in finishing a claw foot tub in the room where it will be installed. It gives you a good idea of the steps involved.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 04:30:04 PM »
Update: I spoke to another company and he suggested to save money I should DIY the outside of the tub, and he would do the inside strip and reglaze for around $650.

The outside needs to have the failing paint removed, so first I need to do a lead test. If it has no lead, I can go at it with a grinder then repaint. If it does have lead, I could have it sandblasted for around $100. Problem is, this thing is so difficult to transport, and there are stairs involved -- this is not a good option.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 06:55:11 AM »
Have you thought about just using chemical paint stripper and scraping it off? It is much safer this way especially when dealing with lead paint than grinding or sandblasting. It also has the benefit that it can be done without moving it down the stairs.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Clawfoot tub refinishing
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 08:24:21 AM »
I had a tub that had been reglazed and had cracked, and I stripped it myself using a product called Citristrip, which was low odor. It took several coats.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:18:30 AM by pbkmaine »

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 03:27:56 PM »
Yeah if it tests positive for lead I will probably have to use a chemical stripper. I have used one in the past for a much smaller application and found the odor to be unbearable, so I should probably buy cartridges for my respirator and shave my beard so it actually fits. Or use the Citristrip, although I have a feeling this will take much longer.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 06:55:14 AM »
How is your tub refinishing goin? They’re really not as heavy as people are making them out to be - my husband and I moved ours together and transported it in the back of our vw golf. I’d uninstall, transport to guy for interior refinishing including sandblast the outside, paint outside at home, reinstall. Our tub had the feet enabled too, which looks really nice.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 08:53:42 PM »
Thanks for asking. The project is pushed back a bit, but I am planning on the chemical stripper method. Respirator, thick gloves,  and patience.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!