Author Topic: Changing locks or rekeying?  (Read 72345 times)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
Changing locks or rekeying?
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:12:47 AM »
Just bought a house and need to get the house rekeyed or change the locks.  Can someone explain the difference to me?  Would like to do the most cost effective.  (In other words, I'm ok spending a bit more if it's going to be a huge hassle - because otherwise, my husband will refuse to do anything at all and risk an issue.)

We have 2 front doors and 2 sliding glass doors in the back.  No garage remote, it's human powered.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
Re: Changing locks or rekeying?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:43:17 AM »
I traded a locksmith some web development work for a rekey at my house. He came out to do the rekey, but then when he saw my locks, he said he wasn't willing to rekey them because they sucked, and gave me a new set of locks instead. Basically, changing the locks includes replacing hardware on the door, and rekeying is just re-jiggering the hardware you already have - and apparently not all locks are created equal.

ingrownstudentloans

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:00:02 AM »
I bought these for my rental property (not these exact, but the system) and they work fantastic.  it costs the price of a new set of keys (5ish bucks) and you can rekey them yourself in 2 minutes as many times as you want.  IDK if this is helpful to your situation (might not need to rekey ever again) but they certainly help with new tenants.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kwikset-780-Single-Cylinder-Antique-Brass-Deadbolt-Featuring-SmartKey-780-5-SMT-RCAL-RCS/202106354?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202106354&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=202106354&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969#

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »
I bought these for my rental property (not these exact, but the system) and they work fantastic.  it costs the price of a new set of keys (5ish bucks) and you can rekey them yourself in 2 minutes as many times as you want.  IDK if this is helpful to your situation (might not need to rekey ever again) but they certainly help with new tenants.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kwikset-780-Single-Cylinder-Antique-Brass-Deadbolt-Featuring-SmartKey-780-5-SMT-RCAL-RCS/202106354?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202106354&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=202106354&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969#

I just bought these for my house (tired of messing with multiple sets of keys), they work great!

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 10:22:10 AM »
A couple of things; the sliders might not use the same kind of keys as the swing doors.  The swing doors will be easy to change if they're standard, the sliders might take some investigation and head-scratching.  At least with them a dowel in the track will secure them while you have the lock out for matching.

Depending on the age of the locks, replacement might be a better long-term investment.  Older sets can be very worn or less attractive with wear and corrosion.  One thing that can throw people is proper installation of a deadbolt strikeplate, it can involve mortising out the jamb deeper than in the old days.

Another thing to consider is making the door into the garage, if there is one, as lockable as the front door.  If you go the deadbolt route, it's much safer in an emergency if the inside of the deadbolt is a thumblatch and not keyed like the outside.

burly

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »

+1 for Kwikset's Smartkey... When I bought my house 2 of the doors were Kwikset, so I purchased 1 new knob & deadbolt and was able to rekey the entire house in seconds.

Now, this is also really useful as i have another set of keys that I can 'rekey' the back door in a second to give to a dog sitter when we go away which only gives them access to 1 door! Once we're home, I rekey it back to the master and I don't have to worry.

Forgot to mention in original post, Lows & Home Depot may not rekey your locks for you dependinig on age and brand..

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 11:20:13 AM »
Interesting, thanks for all the tips.  Really helpful.

Another thing to consider is making the door into the garage, if there is one, as lockable as the front door.  If you go the deadbolt route, it's much safer in an emergency if the inside of the deadbolt is a thumblatch and not keyed like the outside.

Ha, I live in Boston area and the home is 1930s.  I'm lucky to have a (very small - 9x19ft) garage at all.  I'm convinced access to the house through the garage is a myth.

Re the sliders, one is french door opening (2002 reno) and locks.  The other doesn't have a key I don't think - just turn to get out?

willn

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
Depending on the brand you can rekey yourself with a kit. This one is for Schlage but I think I've seen them for Kwikset hardware also...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Steel-Lockset-Re-Keying-Kit-for-Schlage-5-Pin-Door-Locksets-E-2402/100173492#

burkevalocks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 05:56:03 PM »
Just bought a house and need to get the house rekeyed or change the locks.  Can someone explain the difference to me?  Would like to do the most cost effective.  (In other words, I'm ok spending a bit more if it's going to be a huge hassle - because otherwise, my husband will refuse to do anything at all and risk an issue.)

We have 2 front doors and 2 sliding glass doors in the back.  No garage remote, it's human powered.

Changing locks are pretty straight forward. What you want to know is the rekeying process. Rekeying a lock starts with a basic understanding of a pin and tumbler lock. Here's a brief, simple explanation of rekeying. Rekeying is usually cheaper but it truly depends on the locks that you plan to buy. Hope that helps! Cheers!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 07:36:39 PM »
Depending on the brand you can rekey yourself with a kit. This one is for Schlage but I think I've seen them for Kwikset hardware also...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Steel-Lockset-Re-Keying-Kit-for-Schlage-5-Pin-Door-Locksets-E-2402/100173492#

The last time I checked, Home Depot would rekey a lock for $5.

So, bring the lock to Home Depot and spend $5 instead of taking the stuff home and doing it yourself for $13.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 10:14:19 AM »
Or use the excuse to buy competent locks that aren't trivially bypassed by anyone with a bump key...

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 10:23:40 AM »

I just bought these for my house (tired of messing with multiple sets of keys), they work great!

I bought these for all over my house and I love them. Beware, though. After about two years one of them stopped working, as in I couldn't unlock it at all. I removed it from the door and took it to a local locksmith. The locksmith said those locks frequently fail after about a year. So far, I have no issues with any of the other ones of the same type on my house. I still love the idea.

El Marinero

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:28 AM »
I  have had success with the Kwikset Smartkey system, too. I've rekeyed rentals several times without issue.

If you are a landlord, it is nice to be able to tell your tenant that the locks have just been rekeyed.

If you are not a landlord, I can still imagine situations where it would be nice to be able to quickly rekey.  What if you lose your keys, or your druggie nephew ends up with them?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 05:43:15 AM »
Another +1 on the Smartkey locks. I replaced all the locks in my house with them and have rekeyed a couple times. Easy and I can rekey them so they all work on the same key. Replacing locks is easy, as is taking them to be rekeyed. The old locks gave the locksmith fits when I took them in to be rekeyed.

1WattLightbulb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 01:22:57 PM »
+1 on having competent locks/doors/strike plates. It may take some research.

Think highly of Kwikset Smartkey locks? See what it takes to get by one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-h64WwfW8

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 09:49:02 AM »
+1 on having competent locks/doors/strike plates. It may take some research.

Think highly of Kwikset Smartkey locks? See what it takes to get by one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-h64WwfW8

Every residential lock is just as easily forced until you get into the $100+ range.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 12:09:55 PM »
I'd probably just replace the locksets and deadbolts on the entry doors complete with new.  Very easily done and available at most lumberyards.
Would not do anything with the sliders, just put a wood stopper board in place so the sliding pane cannot be opened, when you want them locked.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!