Author Topic: Ceiling fan - missing piece?  (Read 3035 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Ceiling fan - missing piece?
« on: August 27, 2017, 06:30:33 PM »
I got a new ceiling fan from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore ($40! Can't beat that.) I've been told that I'm missing a piece to mount it on the ceiling. I have no objection to acquiring said piece, but I'm stumped. Help?

It's a Harbor Breeze, model H42-58/3LEVM, pic below if I did it right.

Edit: the zip tie is how it was hung up at the store, it makes a handy handle right now so I haven't removed it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:35:20 PM by Sibley »

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Ceiling fan - missing piece?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 07:10:27 PM »
You can usually find manuals online, but that number doesn't bring anything up.  Maybe you can check Lowes online and see if you can find the model name and go from there.

crimwell

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 12:11:40 AM »
Looking at the pic I'm not sure there's anything missing from the fan itself.

It doesn't have either a regular electric box or a  fan-rated outlet box, though. You'll need to either line up the support bracket with a ceiling joist to support the fan and then do the wiring connection in a regular outlet box, or you'll need to support a fan-rated (i.e. load-bearing) box by attaching THAT to the ceiling joist.

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 12:58:39 AM »
I've installed a few DIY ceiling fans, and I can't offhand see anything missing. The ceiling box it goes on to needs to be rated for a fan, though. I've used one that straddles a joist, and I've used something like this to replace ceiling boxes without having to get into the attic.

One you have a box to mount it to, the mount screws go through those two long slots to the corners or edges of the ceiling box.

Of course first you'll remove those outer four screws and remove the decorative cover, and then the motor body should be either hanging from a ball mount, or there's some sort of release and hook. After mounting the black bar to the ceiling box, the motor body usually has a way to hang on a hook or socket for the ball to finish the wiring, and then if it's a hook there should be a way to affix it more securely before mounting the decorative cover again and then installing the fan blades.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 06:24:53 AM »
I got a new ceiling fan from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore ($40! Can't beat that.) I've been told that I'm missing a piece to mount it on the ceiling. I have no objection to acquiring said piece, but I'm stumped. Help?

It's a Harbor Breeze, model H42-58/3LEVM, pic below if I did it right.

Edit: the zip tie is how it was hung up at the store, it makes a handy handle right now so I haven't removed it.

I think you got lucky, and this one looks complete. I have worked extensively with Habitat, mostly while building new homes, but some work in the Restores. I would caution anybody to be real careful when it comes to some purchases, and I cringe when I hear that somebody bought a fan, or lighting fixture there. The reason is that most of these fixtures can be amazingly cheap, new, in the box, with ALL the parts sealed in a bag. For example, Amazon has a highly rated, nice looking , name brand ceiling fans with light kits for about what you paid, with Prime shipping.  OTOH, my local ReStore offers a big bin of fan motors, and hanging hardware, another of light kits, and (this makes my toes curl) dozens of blades hanging on pegboard hooks.  In that situation, the whole setup could be free, and not worth the price. The chance of leaving the store with all the correct, compatible big parts, and all the hardware is pretty slim. The odds of assembling the whole mess correctly, and ending up with a quiet, well balanced fan, is even less. I have seen similar situations with lighting, and even huge piles of commercial florescent fixtures that should of been processed as hazardous waste, NOT offered for sale to anyone, due to the antique, leaking ballasts and criminally high energy usage, compared to modern units. ReStores are critical to the mission, and some bring in shocking amounts of cash every year, but there are some things I would avoid, including older appliances, especially refridgerators and used electrical equipment.  OTOH, there are some stunning buys there. We spent a week working in one  recently, and I loaded a brand new, nine piece dining room set into a customer's truck. It was an end of year donation from a local furniture store. The sticker for the group was $4200, and they paid $900. My wife was sorting clothing and sent several pieces, like LL Bean winter jackets, out to the racks, to be sold for $5. They were new, with tags on.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:58:23 PM »
Excellent. I will hand the whole thing over to the handyman to put up (I'm not able to do it, and due to some health stuff learning isn't an option right now). It's replacing another fan, so hopefully the setup already there is adequate. Thanks all!