Author Topic: Ceiling fan lights  (Read 1193 times)

Quint

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ceiling fan lights
« on: August 11, 2018, 11:17:49 AM »
I am installing a ceiling fan light kit and cannot get the lights to work.  I’ve done this before in other rooms with no trouble but this one has me stumped.  I connected the light kit wires to the marked existing ceiling fan wires, blue to black and white to white. 

I have tried new bulbs, tried with the fan running, not running.  I have checked the instructions and troubleshooting, ran it by some friends that are also handy and we got nowhere.  I would be surprised if the kit was bad though I suppose it is possible.  I’m about to take the whole fan down and see if the blue light wire is somehow not connected further in the housing.  Any other ideas or am I missing something here?

EDIT: Non contact voltage detector shows no power to the blue wire coming from the fan to the light kit so it seems my suspicion was correct. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:31:05 PM by Quint »

px4shooter

• Stubble
Re: Ceiling fan lights
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 07:15:12 PM »
Did you pull the fan wiring and see if the blue wire was even connected?

Since the wire could be done to a separate wall switch and the person installing the original fan knew there was no light, the wire may not even be hooked up.

Drop the fan and see if it is even attached. You may just be able to loosen the mounting cover and see the wires.

Quint

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 07:26:47 PM »
I believe you are correct but I ran out of time to look into that today.  I am going to give that a shot tomorrow thanks.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 01:09:59 PM »
If there is only one hot wire (normally black/red) in the box, they make kits to allow the light to be controlled separately from the fan. More modern ones are wireless remote controls, but I am partial to the old school ones where turning the fan switch on will turn the fan on and turning the switch on-off-and-on quickly will toggle the light.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!