Author Topic: Cabinet Door Replacement  (Read 5659 times)

gotaholen1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cabinet Door Replacement
« on: August 17, 2012, 07:15:44 AM »
Hello Forum,

Long time reader first time poster.  I was curious if anyone has ordered cabinet door replacements, and if so, how did the project turn out?  It there a company you would recommend?  There are a lot of online site where you can do this...

We currently have basic oak cabinets (builder grade, but in good shape).  It appears that new doors on all cabinets would be a lot less money, and would make out existing cabinets look brand new.  We would buy unfinished doors, and would strip the existing bones of our cabinets. 

In our past house that we recently sold, we bought all unfinished cabinets... therefore we are familiar with the process of finishing cabinets. 

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cabinet Door Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 07:38:03 AM »
I remodeled our kitchen last year and had this company http://precisionwoodproducts.com quote the doors for me.  They were recomended to me by a custom cabinet maker who purchases from them rather than building his own doors. 

Prices were reasonable and they were easy to deal with.  Caveat, I ended going a different direction and didn't need their services.  If I were replacing all the doors as you indicate, wouldn't hesitate to call them again.

gotaholen1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:15:59 AM »
Thanks Midwest.  This place looks great... and might be worth the drive to go check out the doors in person!

Kitster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:16:34 AM »
We are in middle of kitchen facelift.  Kept cabinet skeleton, ordered door/drawer faces from rawdoors.net, we plan to paint (the quality of the doors and pricing was outstanding, shipping a bit high but got to factor in weight and distance from KS to west coast), ordered new drawer boxes from barkerdoor.com (have not assembled yet, pricing was great, wanted to buy their door/drawer faces as OR to our northern West Coast location shipping would have been free (and lower carbon footprint) but drawer face price too much and door insets were thinner) and slider hardware from directcabinethardware.com (they had much better pricing and free shipping).  It is the largest undertaking we have DIY'd.
Our intent is modernize, the door face will install with blum-style hinge, thus eliminating old fashioned hinges and the blum hinges allow for installation shift (to help cover up our possible mistakes and to get them all square and aligned).
Check out the suppliers above, we are happy with service and products.
Still waiting for shipment of Ikea butcher block counter tops - the cheapest alternative we could find.
Good Luck.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:41:36 AM by Kitster »

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:42:56 AM »
Kitster:

You mentioned you were going to paint.  Have you considered solid color stain with poly over?  We used the rustoleum kit (which is just a solid stain w/poly).  I brushed the boxes and sprayed the doors with poly and they have been very durable.

Just something to consider.  The cabinets we have painted have proven to be less durable than this method.

Midwest

Kitster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 03:30:19 PM »
Hi Midwest,
I just viewed the rustoleum demo video - interesting and worth considering.  We have couple issues, our bases are simply plywood w/ veneer and face frame is wood of course.  We have already sanded to raw finish because prior owner did three-color sponge application on everything - gawdy awful and lumpy.  We bought maple doors for the smooth tight wood.  Our plan is to use Ben Moore Advance paint - it is acrylic and self-leveling but have not bought yet, hung up on color, we are leaning white as we are keeping couple of newer white applicances.
The BM primer and paint is expensive but I understand finish is professional.
Would this rustoleum work on raw sanded wood?  What color did you do and did you glaze?
Thanks for the input and gotaholen1, sorry to highjack your thread.
Kit

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:12:06 PM »
We used cocoa with the glaze on both existing cabinets and new cabinets (added cabinets to an existing kitchen).  I primed the new cabinets and sanded before applying the stain.

The kit provides a base coat (I believe a solid color stain) and a top coat (satin, water based, poly).  They indicate 1 or 2 coats of top coat.  There is not nearly enough in the kit.  If you decide to use the product, buy some spray cans of the poly and shoot the doors.  It's 1000% faster and looks better.  Rustoleum will tell you exactly what to buy if call them regarding the poly.  We have a minimum of 3 coats of poly on everything.

I think you could buy solid color stain and poly and get the same result without buying the rustoleum kit.  Might be cheaper.

Midwest

PS - One other tip, if you cabinet ends are damaged they sell a 1/8 or 1/4" veneer that you can attach to cover the damage.  This works great with paint or solid color stains.  I used a pin nailer to attach.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!