Author Topic: Built-In Microwave  (Read 1597 times)

wild forest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Built-In Microwave
« on: November 28, 2018, 07:41:58 AM »
Hello guys,

So I have a built-in microwave that just died on me and I have no clue how to take the darn thing out to check for the inline fuses. On the bottom is an oven, it still have power and working. Then, there 2 draws on the bottom of the oven. On top of the microwave is a cabinet and both side surrounded by walls, so as the back side. There is no circuit breaker for it.

I took the 2 draws on the bottom out and saw there is a power outlet box with wires  connecting to the oven and the microwave, insulated by an electrical metal conduit. No room down here to work with.

There is a bracket surrounding the microwave in the front. My guess is there are probably screws behind the bracket holding it, and I'm not sure how the bracket would come off.

So have any of you guys have done this kind of repair for a microwave like that before and would like share some insights?

Thanks in advance.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Built-In Microwave
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 10:22:06 AM »
I installed a built-in microwave, but it replaced a free-standing oven/microwave combo, so removal was easy.

There are plenty of youtube videos showing how to remove them. This one looks like exactly the reverse of what I did to install mine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NByXCxm-co8

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 09:20:17 AM »
Can you provide a model number for the appliance? (usually on a label inside the door, if it is a combine unit it could only on the oven). Or a picture. It would give us a better idea of how it might be installed and how to remove it.

wild forest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 08:06:31 AM »
Can you provide a model number for the appliance? (usually on a label inside the door, if it is a combine unit it could only on the oven). Or a picture. It would give us a better idea of how it might be installed and how to remove it.

It's an Electrolux model #: 139028302A and I cannot find another like it.

Well, so..over the weekend I removed 4 screws that hold the frame. Then another 4 screws that screwed into the bracket to secured the microwave. It was an easy job to take out in and out.

The BIGGEST problem is to find the microwave with the same height and width. It has to be under 12 1/8 inch height and 24" wide, because the frame is only 12.5" height. It's need some little gap so the door would not stuck or rubbing.

I found none at Home Depot, Lowes, or Walmart online with that size, even at some local appliance stores. None of them carry it.  But I found some cheap Kenmore microwave under 12" in height and the width is only 21" wide. That would leave a big gap on each side, top and bottom, and would give some ugly look.  So I put the dead microwave back in it place and went out and got a $80 one at Lowes.

THEN, after some more researched I found one online that would be a perfect fit.............and it's cost $330 dollars!!
https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/PEM31SFSS.html

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 04:38:45 PM »

It's an Electrolux model #: 139028302A and I cannot find another like it.

Well, so..over the weekend I removed 4 screws that hold the frame. Then another 4 screws that screwed into the bracket to secured the microwave. It was an easy job to take out in and out.

The BIGGEST problem is to find the microwave with the same height and width. It has to be under 12 1/8 inch height and 24" wide, because the frame is only 12.5" height. It's need some little gap so the door would not stuck or rubbing.

I found none at Home Depot, Lowes, or Walmart online with that size, even at some local appliance stores. None of them carry it.  But I found some cheap Kenmore microwave under 12" in height and the width is only 21" wide. That would leave a big gap on each side, top and bottom, and would give some ugly look.  So I put the dead microwave back in it place and went out and got a $80 one at Lowes.

THEN, after some more researched I found one online that would be a perfect fit.............and it's cost $330 dollars!!
https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/PEM31SFSS.html

Googling that part number, comes up with very little.

But judging from what I can find the microwave you are referencing is a module (https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Module-Microwave-Ss/139028302/4451664) that fits into a larger combination unit (ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/prodinfo_pdf/Memphis/5995638854.pdf, note frigid air is part of electrolux). This kind of unit is pricey in and of itself.

This is why I hate building multiple things into one unit (modem and router, washer and dryer, oven and microwave, and so on) its a real pain if one breaks and the other keeps working.