Author Topic: Bike repair help connector  (Read 3355 times)

jnik

• Stubble
Bike repair help connector
« on: December 22, 2012, 07:44:20 AM »
So a bunch of people are getting themselves into the cycling thing, great! But it also seems some people are a little shy about maintenance, and let's face it, some of these specialized tools don't get used often. (I just bought a headset press, for instance....) So people who are willing to loan tools and expertise, post here and let folks drop you a message.

Usual disclaimers: you're responsible for your own damn bike, if it falls apart under you don't blame the guy who loaned you the tools, and say thanks with a beer or something.

Getting started: I'm in northern NM, foothills of the Jemez. If you know where that is, you're probably nearby ;)

TheDude

• Bristles
Re: Bike repair help connector
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 01:55:55 PM »
My tools selections is pretty limited. For instances if needed headset cups pressed in I would just go to a shop. I do however have a fair amount of knowledge. I  started working in shops when I was 15 so if anyone needs help in longmont, co feel free to reach out.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 02:16:15 PM »
Most decent-sized cities also have a bike coop or collective which will allow you to use their tools for free or a nominal fee:
http://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki/index.php?title=Community_Bicycle_Organizations#United_States

When I was in Pittsburgh, there was also a shop (Kraynick's) that had a set of stands and tools available for free use, and made money by selling parts, helped along by having incredibly low overhead by being in a rambly old building in a run-down neighborhood.

Tom Reingold

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:50:59 PM »
I was a professional bike mechanic many years ago. I started collecting bike tools 35 years ago and haven't stopped. I have just about everything. If you're in the area, let me know what you need. I can also share expertise. I love working on bikes and teaching people how.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 06:13:48 AM »
I put my own bikes together out of the raw individual parts.  Partially collected from area racers that buy really nice stuff and only use it for one season and some new parts.  There are very few tools that you really *need* over and above typical "homeowner" tools.  I've got a chain tool, one of those gearset socket things, and a brake clamp (that's a "want" item, not "need" as you can do it manually, just is much harder to get it exactly right).  Bike stand is unnecessary.  I do most of the assembly in the middle of an empty floor where there's enough room to flip the bike around as needed.  For assembly of parts where it has to be standing up, just hook it on the back of a couch or chair.  For gear adjustments, don't do it statically and call it good, you need to adjust for the dynamics of the bike (as the frame twists some under power).  You can either do lots of test riding on the road, or if you happen to have a cycling trainer like I do, strap it to that and do those adjustments there.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 07:08:56 PM »
I build and restore bikes for myself and, occasionally, others.  If you're in the Jacksonville, FL area and need help, drop me a line.  I have most repair tools including a stand, cassette and bottom bracket removal tools, chain tools, cone wrenches, etc.

If you're **really** a DIYer, I have TIG, MIG, and a Henrob oxy-acetylene rig.  I have built a frame or two from scratch and regularly do braze-ons.  :-)