Author Topic: Best adhesive for glue-down vinyl plank?  (Read 1434 times)

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
Best adhesive for glue-down vinyl plank?
« on: June 04, 2018, 05:45:47 PM »
My requirements are, in this order:

Walk-on and move furniture back immediately after laying and rolling -- safety and minimal  disruption for special needs family member.

Waterproof, or highly water resistant -- leaky roof, peeing dog, occasional minor floods.  A lot of the new "easy" water-based ones look like they might not be waterproof enough.

Low/no VOC -- no fumes to live with while it cures completely -- precludes ol' fashioned contact cement.

Roll-on would be great, but trowel-on is OK.

Any ideas?  The deal I'm getting on suitable flooring makes this possible at all.  Now I just need the right glue.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Best adhesive for glue-down vinyl plank?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 07:25:09 PM »
You need a water-based adhesive if you want low/no VOC. Um, the flooring itself is waterproof. Are you worried about water coming up from underneath? If so, you have a totally different problem.

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 08:02:31 PM »
No moisture from underneath.  The main problem is water coming in under the doors during big storms.  It's just a little, but it could stay wet for several days while we're out of town.

A water-based glue could be fine if it's water-resistant enough.  I just don't know which ones are.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 11:31:33 PM »
No moisture from underneath.  The main problem is water coming in under the doors during big storms.  It's just a little, but it could stay wet for several days while we're out of town.

A water-based glue could be fine if it's water-resistant enough.  I just don't know which ones are.
Oh, boy. That is a totally different problem. You gotta fix the doors. You should not have water incursion. Figure this out before you start the floors.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 09:26:14 AM »
I agree you should fix the door, put vinyl planks are waterproof. No need for the glue to be waterproof, because unless you leave seams between them, all water should sit on top of the vinyl until it evaporates or gets wiped up.

Go ahead and pour some water on one of your planks to test it out, but vinyl is definitely not permeable

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:45:55 AM »
I agree you should fix the door, put vinyl planks are waterproof. No need for the glue to be waterproof, because unless you leave seams between them, all water should sit on top of the vinyl until it evaporates or gets wiped up.

Go ahead and pour some water on one of your planks to test it out, but vinyl is definitely not permeable
I agree about the planks themselves, as mentioned above. But water is a bitch. If allowed to seep in, it will wander like a tramp. If it seeps between the adhesive and the underside of the planks, there could be lifting, buckling and ultimately a ruined floor or worse. It might be less of a problen with an oil-based adhesive, perhaps, but they have VOC issues. So...where were we? Oh yeah, fix the doors first.

SweatingInAR

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 03:15:28 PM »
Walk-on and move furniture back immediately after laying and rolling

I had glue-down vinyl installed last year, and the installers had no concerns about putting furniture back immediately after installing. I had them do 300sf, and it took less than 3 hours for two people. They ripped out the carpet, cleaned the concrete slab, sealed (caulked?) minor cracks in the slab, and installed the vinyl.

The company charged ~$3/sf. After looking at my material cost, it was an obvious choice to have the area done in 1 day and have a warranty on materials and installation. I had just painted the walls and ceiling before the flooring install, and then installed new baseboard after the flooring.

I agree with Dicey... the planks are waterproof, but the glue should also be water resistant. Water will find a way through the cracks if it's allowed to sit, and it could damage your subfloor or a nearby wall. If the glue does fail due to water, supposedly it is pretty easy to just re-glue the failed planks.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!