Author Topic: Bathroom Tiling  (Read 3709 times)

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
Bathroom Tiling
« on: September 23, 2015, 10:34:39 AM »
My DH and I just bought our first condo and the bathroom is in desperate need of an update. My DH and I are not handy at all and would not be able to tile ourselves. We got a quote from a contractor and it seemed way to expensive considering my bathroom floor is extremely small (probably 4 by 3 ft). Any creative and cheap ideas on covering or redoing the floor that doesn't include a bathroom rug?

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Bathroom Tiling
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »
Have you considered Marmoleum?  It's a really nice natural linoleum product I use a lot in my design/build practice.  Especially in a small area like yours, it would be good because there wouldn't be any seams.  There are a dizzying array of colors and patterns.  It's slightly soft and also warm like wood as opposed to cold tile.

Installation is not rocket science but I think if you're not handy a professional, or at least handyman install would be best.  Armstrong also makes a similar product called Marmorette.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 05:27:23 PM »
I might also say: Tiling is not rocket science.  It isn't that hard.

* larger grout lines are easier than skinny grout lines
* you can also do some semi-random patterns, which are easier to appear "straight" than a  tight, repeating pattern

My first tile project was a random pattern with 3 shapes and a wide grout line.  It was about the size of your bathroom.  I was amazed how easy it was.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 07:38:13 PM »
Vinyl sheet flooring. If you can remove tile yourself, will be cheap. Even the nicer quality like Armstrong.

Tiling is expensive because they have to come back so many times. Removal, lay tile, grout, maybe a trip for tricky cuts or to touch up at end, maybe baseboard or final wall join caulk.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 05:25:47 AM »
I'm not overly handy either, and have been considering groutable peel and stick vinyl tiles like these for my half bath/laundry/utility area.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 06:19:48 AM »
I'm not overly handy either, and have been considering groutable peel and stick vinyl tiles like these for my half bath/laundry/utility area.

I used vinyl planks (faux wood) in my last house. LOVED it. I used a high quality version and didn't do the installation (pre-MMM, plus I did 1000 sq ft), but if/when I use again I will DIY. Lightweight/easy to handle, easy to cut, no grout needed, should be pretty easy to install.

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 06:47:45 AM »
It's easy enough to do, especially if it's just the floor and only 12 square feet

http://www.johnbridge.com/

Lot's of help there.

I recommend a tile wet saw. Angle grinder with diamond blade is nice but I've always worked around the toilet flange without them

Make very sure the tiles around the toilet are level.

Get close out tiles on sale at a tile specialty store, or just get them at a big box. Mortar is cheap, grout is cheap. If you can borrow a tile saw from someone this whole project could cost under $50.

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 07:25:16 AM »
Thanks everyone for the tips! I never knew I had so many options.  I'm going to look into the vinyl planks or vinyl sheet flooring.

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 07:26:16 AM »

This is right up my ally, thanks for this tip!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 07:58:09 AM »
I have DIY'ed a couple of tiling projects. It is not for me, and I am pretty handy.

I can get grout lines pretty close to straight, but being out by even a little bothers me every time I take a shower. A bigger issue though is tiles that are not coplanar. One that stands slightly proud, or a little low is a cause for annoyance. If you do DIY your tiles, the johnbridge forum linked above is a fantastic resource.

If you opt out of tiling there is a dizzying array of alternatives for wet-room flooring now. I would really encourage you to look through them. The plastic wood planks have gotten really good reviews in a bunch of places. We have also had really good luck with vinyl flooring installed by pros - in a small room linoleum or vinyl installation is not very expensive at all.

Good luck with your project whichever way you choose to go.