Author Topic: ARGGH Broke Shut off valve! help with fittings please!  (Read 1720 times)

human

• Pencil Stache
ARGGH Broke Shut off valve! help with fittings please!
« on: July 20, 2017, 08:54:00 PM »
I was disconnecting our old dishwasher. Everything going great but then I broke the shut off valve under the sink. Why do these damn things stick so bad! It just turns and turns either way now. The current valve goes from pex condo plumbing to copper inline to dishwasher (no idea why it's copper).

Would this sharkbite valve work to replace it without the need for crimps or anything like that?: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.12-inch-x-14-inch-sharkbite-angle-stop.1000862070.html

How do I get the old one off? The crimping has no tabs, am I going to have to buy a pex cutter?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out.

Bleh took forever to resize that photo . . .
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:20:48 PM by human »

human

• Pencil Stache
Re: ARGGH Broke Shut off valve! help with fittings please!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 05:44:31 AM »
Got help on the terry love forum. Apparently not broken after all, only need to turn it 90 degrees. Derrrrrr doh!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »
Got help on the terry love forum. Apparently not broken after all, only need to turn it 90 degrees. Derrrrrr doh!

Don't blame yourself for this one! That appears to be a ball valve. In that case, the handle turns a small ball with a hole drilled though it.  Turn one way it flows, turn 90* in the opposite direction it stops.  Ball valves are typically built with "stops" or simple bumps in the valve body to keep the handle from, as you say, "turns and turns either way". I have never seen one without stops, and the problem is that the valve is a cheap piece of shit, not that you didn't operate it properly. That said, ball valves tend to be very reliable and last well beyond the other choice, which is the style with a rubber washer. As for the copper, it's a decent way to hook up the dishwasher. I typically use the braided stainless supply lines, but that's not typically "condo budget" grade material.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 10:10:03 AM »
I didn't know about that forum.  Thanks for sharing - I hope I never need it!!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!