Author Topic: Appliance installation  (Read 884 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Appliance installation
« on: April 17, 2019, 04:01:33 PM »
Hey all,

Was wondering if any of you prefer to have the "Professional installers" install new appliances or if you just have them delivered and DIY it. Particularly for gas appliances because of the nature of natural gas being dangerous and the risk of things exploding. Even besides that though - the 'labor' associated with hand-trucking or maneuvering the appliances through tight spaces, which is the case in our smaller condo unit. I'm probably going to update our kitchen appliances (dishwasher, fridge, oven range) soon. The last time we had a fridge delivered though, they put a nice scratch in the frame of the pocket door leading into the kitchen. But it's such a tight squeeze for a fridge that it seems it would be hard *not* to do anything like that bringing in new appliances... unless we have a contractor come in and take down the pocket door wall (which we've seen other neighbors do and it's actually nice and opens the place up). Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts. I actually installed the current dishwasher we have (which is a pretty nice one, just not stainless steel) and it wasn't too bad of an install. But it's a pretty lightweight unit. Reason why I'm wanting to upgrade is because we're starting to update our place so that we can sell soon and make it more marketable. Current appliances are junky and aesthetically look pretty terrible (except the dishwasher). Just trying to put the money/time/work in where we can now before rushing to do it all at the last hour.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
Re: Appliance installation
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 04:22:12 PM »
I just got a new range and got it delivered and professionally installed. I’m not messing around with gas. And I live on the second floor with no elevator.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 07:47:39 PM »
I always handle the installs myself so I know it gets done right. The installer only has to worry that it works while he's there, and for call backs, that's usually somebody else's problem. Plus damage to the unit or the living quarters (as you mentioned). They're on a tight schedule, but you can (usually) take your time to double, triple check the work and make sure good quality parts are used. And you have a vested interest in your counters, flooring and woodwork. They don't.

Gas connections are easy-peasy these days with flex line. Use gas-rated pipe dope, mate the threads, tighten and done.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 08:09:37 PM »
I pay for the service for rentals, but not my own property.  I now pay for delivery, removal, and install. It saves a 1/2 day of messing around for like $30. 

I install my own at home, no problems. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 06:45:05 AM »
At least in my neck of the wood, installation comes with the delivery aspect of it so since I had it delivered, I take them up on the install. It doesn't cost me any more at that point. But, I have installed all those appliances listed before and a dishwasher is the hardest one of the three and you've already done one so it shouldn't be hard. Working with gas lines is basic plumbing 101. The only thing different is that you need to check your joints with a soapy solution when done (to look for bubbles which indicate a leak) versus looking for drips of water as with regular plumbing. The hardest part with gas is sometimes finding the right threaded fitting to make a connection at the big box store where nobody knows anything.

When moving in appliances, I worry more about the floor because it is harder to fix. Make sure to have lots of pads and cardboard ahead of time to get things shoved into place. Dinged walls and wood trim are easy to fill and repaint. I don't get upset if something happens to those in tight quarters.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 07:26:31 AM »
It is a mixed bag.

I have paid for it and it has been fine, I have also paid for it a few times and they claim to have problems and leave me in the lurch.

Gas is NBD, It takes a major leak to be explodey, plus you smell it way before then. Something as basic as an oven just spray the joint with soapy water and look for bubbles.  FWIW I re-plumbed gas in part of my basement. Pressure tested it, turns out I had a small pinhole leak from the old stuff for probably decades that had never caused any issues.