Author Topic: 1950's Rental Property Renovation - Installing J Channel & Vinyl Siding  (Read 6690 times)

Fairviewite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm a couple weeks into our 70 year old rental property renovation and have decided to provide updates of the progress, as I've continually been inspired by MrSal's DIY Thread: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/do-it-yourself-forum!/diy-backyard-officeextra-room/

The property is a three bedroom, one bathroom single family home. We paid $67,500 plus $1,600 in closing costs and our renovation budget is $40,000.

Entering conservative estimates from our first rental property in forum member Iamlindoro rental property calculator the returns should hopefully be as follows.

Front Door View

Back Door View

North Side View

South Side View

Interior pictures and a breakdown of the $40,000 budget coming soon!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:26:11 AM by Fairviewite »

Fairviewite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 70 Year Old Rental Property Renovation- Progress Journal (Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 01:38:08 PM »
This is the picture we're using for inspiration on the exterior renovations. The vinyl siding will be a similar green in colour. Instead of adding a roof overhang and installing wood beams off the front of the property, we're planning on installing stained wood shakes.

Fairviewite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 06:31:38 PM »
Here are the (before) interior pictures of the rental property.

Walking in from the back door you can go upstairs into the kitchen or downstairs into the unfinished basement.

View leaving the kitchen and walking out the back door.

Planning on removing the wall behind the stove to open up the kitchen, living room, and brick chimney. Fingers crossed the brick chimney behind the drywall to the right of the stove is in good condition.

Living room view after walking out of the kitchen. Front entry of the house is through the door on the right. 

Bedroom #1

Bedroom #2

Bedroom #3

Bathroom

View of the exterior with the new windows installed. Finished up removing the asphalt siding and installing the house wrap.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 07:15:03 PM »
Thank you for posting about your project. I love rehabs! And yours promises to be well documented and lots of photos! :) enjoy!!

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 08:19:25 AM »
Is that exterior masonry or some sort of asphalt or asbestos siding?  I can't tell from the pictures.

Xlar

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 11:56:16 AM »
Looking forward to your updates!

Fairviewite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 06:34:43 PM »
Better Late & Xlar - Thanks! I'm considering experimenting with video to try and better capture the work being completed. We'll see what happens.

Adam Zapple

The exterior is asphalt siding, it's the same as asphalt shingles. Here are a couple more pictures.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 07:07:16 PM »
Cool thread, I'll be watching your progress!

Fairviewite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 08:46:39 PM »
Thanks for following along Rab!

Here is a breakdown of the $40,000 renovation budget.

Has anyone installed LifeProof vinyl plank flooring from Home Depot? https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.multi-width-x-476-inch-canyon-copper-luxury-vinyl-plank-flooring-1953-sq-ft--case.1001087952.html

The rep at Home Depot said you don't need any particle board or U lay installed underneath the vinyl plank flooring. I've always installed U lay subfloor underneath vinyl plank flooring. I'd like to hear your guys thoughts.

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 09:02:10 AM »
How did you replace the windows. Ours aren't in great shape. Did you DIY or hire someone? If you DIY'd did you have experience or experienced help?

Fairviewite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 02:00:11 PM »
JC4: Before this I project I had never replaced windows before. One of my friends is a carpenter, I've hired him to help/teach me throughout this project.

Budget has been updated for costs incurred up to March 31st.

New doors, drip cap, & house wrap has been installed. Window in bathroom shower has also been removed. Before & current side view north pictures.

Front view:

Rear view:

Side view North:

Side view South:

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 09:22:13 AM »
wow!

Thanks for the shout out Fairviewite ... feel honored to be a source of inspiration! even though I didn't do much! Your renovation seems to be the real deal! I will follow this thread in detail.

Btw, I love than entrance with the timbers! That would be really cool!

Also don't forget the tricks to get cheap stuff at Lowes... use their ProServices if you can and then couple it with a coupon or... just use their 15% off or even 30% off if <50$ (Yes I checkout multiple times and break the items into 50$ brackets :D ) along with cashback portals and also buy gift cards at discount if possible!

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 09:25:58 AM »

Has anyone installed LifeProof vinyl plank flooring from Home Depot? https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.multi-width-x-476-inch-canyon-copper-luxury-vinyl-plank-flooring-1953-sq-ft--case.1001087952.html

The rep at Home Depot said you don't need any particle board or U lay installed underneath the vinyl plank flooring. I've always installed U lay subfloor underneath vinyl plank flooring. I'd like to hear your guys thoughts.

I've used other vinyl planks in rentals, but not that specific brand. The best part of using the vinyl planks is that no underlayment is necessary. In fact, most manufacturers say warranty is void if you use an underlayment because it needs a hard surface with minimal flex underneath. As long as there aren't any huge high or low spots on the existing floor, just slap it on top of whatever was there before. I've put it over everything but tile (because you have to level out the grouted areas). I've put it over vinyl sheeting, glued vinyl tiles, linoleum, hardwood floors, plywood/OSB subfloor, diagonal plank subfloor, concrete. It's held up great for everything.

CanuckStache

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 02:34:31 PM »
FYI That existing vinyl on the floor looks like it has asbestos either in the tile or in the adhesive underneath. Not a big deal until you start disturbing it. The reason I know this is it looks exactly like the stuff that was in our 100 year old house, and legally we had to get a sample tested at a lab (super strict hazmat laws here). Easiest way to deal with it was just laying vinyl plank on top of it, so that there was no need to rip and deal with the old vinyl.

Looks like you're doing vinyl plank so you've got that covered, but not sure what you're doing around the stairs. Anyways! As mentioned, just an FYI.

Fairviewite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 03:49:20 PM »
MrSal: Glad to hear you're following the thread! I'll definitely look into your advice about Lowes. The last reno we shopped a lot at Home Dept, Rona, & IKEA. I never considered Lowes.

CptCool: Thanks for the advice. In the two previous vinyl plank installations I've glued the planks down. Do you glue yours down or just lay it over the existing flooring?

CanuckStache: Which picture/location are you referring to? The kitchen, bathroom, and stairs actually has carpet installed. I believe underneath the carpet has old linoleum, not sure about the stairs though.

I'll be taking a break from the renos/forum for the rest of the week, our first child was born on Monday. Talk to everyone next week!

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 04:51:54 PM »
Congratulations!

When you get back:
We used an Armstrong vinyl plank, self adhesive. We put in on new plywood sub floor
Did all that 6 years ago, no complaints yet

Fairviewite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
TheWifeHalf: Thanks for the advice! When we removed the wall between the kitchen and living room we actually discovered there was original hardwood underneath the carpet & linoleum. The plan going forward is to try and refinish the original hardwood throughout the house.

In an attempt to better capture the renovation process we've decided to give video creation a whirl. Hope you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/fz1pRWpE_U8

Does anyone know how to embed videos directly into the post?

Any suggestions to improve future videos I'd love to hear them.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Although more work, you should had tried to save those planks from the old wall. Repurposed materials are all the rage and you could had turned them into something useuus/beautiful around the home.

Congrats on the baby!

Subbed to your channel.

agreed.

Here;s what my mother did to hers...while opening up the space those are strucutral walls. She kept those structures especially because that cross is very popular since is part of "pombaline structure system" from 1760s (after Lisbons 1755 earthquake).

Its all the rage to have a look like this now in older apartments:

Fairviewite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Craiglepaige: Thank you and I appreciate you subscribing to the channel in our humble beginnings!

After reading your advice and seeing Mr. Sal's picture that would have been a great idea for the wall to the right of the stove. The chimney would have still felt free standing and the "pombaline structure system" looks great and would have provided a place to easily mount the living room light switch on. Thanks for sharing, I've saved that picture for inspiration on future projects. 

Edit: Picture below added.

The old wood, doors, & windows if we don't have an immediate use for them we've been leaving them out front and letting people take them for free.

This week we were busy ripping out the carpet and linoleum throughout the house to determine the condition of the hardwood and if we'd be able to refinish it. Overall we've been very pleased and changed our plans from installing vinyl plank flooring to refinishing the existing hardwood floors.

Before:

After

You can find the video of the entire carpet and linoleum removal here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of23ifzfjSM

I've updated the budget for the costs incurred so far. During there sale I recently ordered the last of the big purchases, the IKEA kitchen package. Once finalized it should be very close to the budgeted amount. The one area I'm anticipating possibly being a little light on is labour costs but we'll see how it goes.

Talk to you next week.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 06:20:57 PM by Fairviewite »

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
Did you test the linoleum flooring and glue for asbestos?

Fairviewite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Jpdx: No, we didn't test the flooring for asbestos. We assumed asbestos was present and wore respirators throughout the removal process.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Yup those crosses look really cool ... like i said its used a lot in Portugal nowadays, when exposing. A lot of these are load bearing, and when opening a space up a lot of people just leave the structure of the crosses to open the space up but still have a little bit of separation - think kitchen and living room.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
Yup those crosses look really cool ... like i said its used a lot in Portugal nowadays, when exposing. A lot of these are load bearing, and when opening a space up a lot of people just leave the structure of the crosses to open the space up but still have a little bit of separation - think kitchen and living room.

Another reason why Portugal is awesome. My crush country.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Of course the history behind those crosses adds to the appeal. They were mandated improvements (a new construction system to sustain earthquakes called the "Pombal Cage" by the then prime minister, after the 1755 earthquake, that obliterated most of Lisbon

Sorry I hijacked your thread Fairviewite :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:30:06 AM by MrSal »

Fairviewite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
No worries MrSal, I'm liking the addition!

Fairviewite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 1950's Rental Property Renovation- Installing Soffit & Fascia
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 10:13:46 PM »
We just finished up the soffit and fascia installation. I'm satisfied with the, it really freshened up the look of the house. Now onto installing the vinyl siding.

Here are a couple before & after pictures.

Before:

During:

After:

Youtube Video
Time Lapse Video of Installation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v34z8o_YpLE

Fairviewite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
These past couple weeks have been busy! I've been splitting my time between the rental property renovations and helping my grandpa with seeding on the farm.

We've managed to get the J channel, Vinyl Siding, and Kitchen demolition completed. The IKEA kitchen has been ordered, payment processed and should ship any day now.

J Channel installation Youtube Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddfi9AebeoM

Vinyl Siding Installation Youtube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so-9giXRVjI
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:40:28 AM by Fairviewite »

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
incredible!

CptCool

• Bristles
Where did you get the ladder scaffolding things (walkboard, thing(s) that attach to ladder rungs, etc)? How much does that cost?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!