Author Topic: 30 Day Bathroom Reno  (Read 23413 times)

Enough

• Stubble
Re: 30 Day Bathroom Reno
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2017, 07:43:20 PM »
Thanks to all for the comments and help, posting and reading is helping a lot on motivation to keep chugging along!

Day 10 Update:
Drywall.... 75% on the wall.  I started with the most complicated piece (behind the vanity), got the cut-outs spot on, but then screwed into the hot water supply line halfway through attaching it.  Thankfully, this was just a 20 minute delay with pex, but it did put a damper on the evening.  Finished hanging the left-wall drywall.

Day 11 Update:
Only worked 2 hours today.  Finished hanging the drywall, spent some time cleaning up and putting away tools and applied the first layer of drywall mud. 

Goals for Day 12:  The weather looks great tomorrow with no rain and temps in the 60s so tomorrow we are tackling the window!  The plan is to remove the old window, frame and install the smaller new window and use roof felt as a moisture barrier.  I do not have new siding purchased yet, it may be a few weeks if it has to be special ordered. After the daylight is gone, second coat of mud on the drywall.

Pictures:

Day 10: Not really in the wrong spot, but the angle is what did it.

Day 11: Right wall hung and finished today

Day 11: First coat of mud on the left wall
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:53:00 PM by Enough »

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2017, 09:02:58 AM »
Who doesn't call them boob lights?

We call them ceiling boobs, not boob lights.

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2017, 06:00:53 PM »
Day 11: Finished the window work.  It was an amazing day out :D, sunny and 68degF.  Felt like spring in mid January and I could not think of a better way to spend the daylight hours.

Took 2 trips to lowes (2hrs - luckily they had matching siding in stock) and about 4 hours of actual work.

Pictures:

Step 1: Knock out old window

Step 2-5: Remove siding, frame new box, install moisture barrier, and install new window

Step 6: Window Tape

Step 6-7: New rigid foam insulation and New siding. 
I didnt take any pictures of it, but I installed 3/4" rigid foam to be flush with the old wood siding and old 1/4" rigid foam.

This is my 2nd time doing siding work and I think it looks alright.  You can definitely tell new from old, but I think in a year it will blend in.

Veiw from Inside
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:35:54 PM by Enough »

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2017, 07:27:59 PM »
Awesome progress and great work on the siding!

gmp029

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2017, 11:14:35 AM »
Glad to see that you changed the window. Thanks for the pics, that will be helpful whenever I get around to doing that!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2017, 11:47:24 AM »
Day 12 (Sunday) Update: Yesterday was a lot of loose ends.  The weather was nice again, 60s and overcast, so I took it as an opportunity to work on the roof.  Removed the old cast iron vent in the attic, routed the new PVC through the old cast iron vent hole and installed a new boot on the roof. Installed the vent fan exhaust duct, cut a new hole in the roof and installed new vent flashing assembly on the roof.  Also took care of the tub spout pex issue, replaced 1/2" with 3/4". Lastly, I cut and installed the 'shim-boards' for the wall around the tub so it will be ready for the durock.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2017, 03:09:35 PM »
This is pretty cool.  Posting so I can find this again.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2017, 02:41:12 AM »
This is pretty cool.  Posting so I can find this again.

Plus one to this!

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2017, 09:03:49 PM »
How's it going, OP?  Are you too busy renovating to post updates?

How hard was it to get the old tub out?  I've watched a couple of videos on youtube and they make it look so easy that I am suspicious! Did you cut it in pieces or take it out whole?

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »

How hard was it to get the old tub out?  I've watched a couple of videos on youtube and they make it look so easy that I am suspicious! Did you cut it in pieces or take it out whole?
  I don't know how the OP fared on this issue, but there seem to be a common perception that the easy way to handle an old cast iron tube is to just bust it up with a sledge. The flip side of this is that the broken pieces can be beyond razor sharp, more like surgical instrument sharp. They can slice through denim jeans and make a bloody mess before you even know you're cut. Be careful.

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2017, 01:42:34 PM »

Not bad! and I am definitely overdue for an update. 
We had more lost weekdays between family visiting on wednesday and two twelve hour days at work monday /tuesday.

Day 13 (Friday):
Trip to lowe's for concrete board and installed the furring strips on the walls around the tub to get the concrete board flush.

Day 14 (Saturday):
Morning: loaded up all the cast iron / steel scrap and took it to the recycling yard ($78!). 
Afternoon: Installed the concrete board - entire bath is now closed in!

Day 15 (Sunday):
Clean up day.  I was getting things together to mix thinset for the concrete board joints and realized that I just had too much stuff everywhere to work effectively.  I ended up spending the day cleaning up, organizing tools (putting away all the tools I had for rough-in work) and sweeping.  It is so much easier to work in a clean area than a messy one.

Today's goal: Thinset concrete board joints and put down Hardiboard on the floor (time permitting). 

I am going to have one more workday (tonight after work) and then I am headed to Vermont for a ski trip - getting back into town on Monday, 2/6.  That means that it looks like I'll miss my goal by at least two weeks.

The tub was a pain in the ass.  I was able to get it out of the bath myself using a dolly and some levers without breaking it up.  When unfinished, my bathroom is ~61.5" from stud to stud which was enough clearance to get it up on its end, wedge a hand truck underneath it, and wheel it out the door.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:31:36 PM by Enough »

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2017, 10:26:40 AM »

The tub was a pain in the ass.

I don't know how the OP fared on this issue, but there seem to be a common perception that the easy way to handle an old cast iron tube is to just bust it up with a sledge. The flip side of this is that the broken pieces can be beyond razor sharp, more like surgical instrument sharp. They can slice through denim jeans and make a bloody mess before you even know you're cut. Be careful.

So I was right to be suspicious! Thanks.  Better the enemy you know...

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2017, 08:10:45 PM »
I'm remodeling one of my bathrooms right now as well. I bought two of those bootz tubs at HD, had to return both of them with chips and cracks in the enamel, beware!  They look nice but seem to lack quality control. I ended up spending about $100 more for a American standard americast tub.

I highly recommend walking in the tub to see if you experience any creaking sounds. Sometimes they need a little extra shimming here and there to eliminate the creaking. There not always perfectly level.

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »
Not sure where you're at in this project? But if you haven't put your backerboard on the walls yet, it's a good idea to add blocking between the studs around the top of the tub. Gives the backerboard a good solid support around the tub and prevents any flexing that ends up crackin tile joints.

As already mentioned, red guard the backerboard, 2 or 3 coats!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2017, 07:23:46 PM »

On a related note, the DW and I just bought a house built in 1955. It has the strangest tub I have ever seen. It's a  four foot square , very shallow, awful bright blue soaking tub with a shower head. I just assumed that it was from the seventies, since it looks like a bad idea from the disco era. Well, as usual, I was wrong. First clue, the area above the tile surround was sand finish plaster, like all the other walls in the place, so it's pretty unlikely that the tub area was redone. Second clue, the place had one owner for over half a century and they were kind enough to leave the original blueprints in a closet, and yep, there is a really odd, square tub on the prints, Finally, I gave the tub a good knuckle tap, and DAMN, it's not only odd, ugly, and huge, it' s cast iron. It  has to go, since the one and only bathroom is a study in awful design and ascetics. The problem is that the thing is not only twice the size of any tub I have ever seen, it probably weighs as much as a Civic. I'll have to find a few dim witted helpers when it's time to drag this beast to the curb, since it's gonna' suck. 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2017, 08:14:06 AM »

On a related note, the DW and I just bought a house built in 1955. It has the strangest tub I have ever seen. It's a  four foot square , very shallow, awful bright blue soaking tub with a shower head. I just assumed that it was from the seventies, since it looks like a bad idea from the disco era. Well, as usual, I was wrong. First clue, the area above the tile surround was sand finish plaster, like all the other walls in the place, so it's pretty unlikely that the tub area was redone. Second clue, the place had one owner for over half a century and they were kind enough to leave the original blueprints in a closet, and yep, there is a really odd, square tub on the prints, Finally, I gave the tub a good knuckle tap, and DAMN, it's not only odd, ugly, and huge, it' s cast iron. It  has to go, since the one and only bathroom is a study in awful design and ascetics. The problem is that the thing is not only twice the size of any tub I have ever seen, it probably weighs as much as a Civic. I'll have to find a few dim witted helpers when it's time to drag this beast to the curb, since it's gonna' suck.

If it's that big... will it even fit through doors?  I've seen some fairly normalish sized tubs that obviously came in through windows or were brought in before trim (or before studs) to be able to maneuver it.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2017, 09:26:47 AM »

If it's that big... will it even fit through doors?  I've seen some fairly normalish sized tubs that obviously came in through windows or were brought in before trim (or before studs) to be able to maneuver it.

Yea, the dimensions are no problem. Think 4 ft square by about 16" tall. Standing on edge, it will leave the house without issue, other than the fact that it's probably twice as heavy as a typical cast iron tub.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2017, 01:10:23 AM »

Yea, the dimensions are no problem. Think 4 ft square by about 16" tall. Standing on edge, it will leave the house without issue, other than the fact that it's probably twice as heavy as a typical cast iron tub.

Does it work to score it and chunk it out that way? Or does it still tend to shatter?

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2017, 06:48:38 AM »

Does it work to score it and chunk it out that way? Or does it still tend to shatter?

Yea, I will probably just bash it into manageable chunks. My only hesitation is something I mentioned earlier, about how insanely sharp the porcelain coating is. I was supervising construction on a new hotel and got down on my knees to inspect an issue. I didn't know the the porcelain coating was cracked and lifted on the rim of a tub. I also did not realize that I was badly cut until the side of my hand was shooting blood everywhere. The stuff is so sharp I didn't feel a thing, and it was a deep gash.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2017, 04:07:16 PM »

Yea, I will probably just bash it into manageable chunks. My only hesitation is something I mentioned earlier, about how insanely sharp the porcelain coating is. I was supervising construction on a new hotel and got down on my knees to inspect an issue. I didn't know the the porcelain coating was cracked and lifted on the rim of a tub. I also did not realize that I was badly cut until the side of my hand was shooting blood everywhere. The stuff is so sharp I didn't feel a thing, and it was a deep gash.

Porcelain is effectively glass.  And it's incredibly thin.  I wouldn't have thought about it and would have smashed away at a big tub.  But it totally makes sense when I think about it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2017, 05:11:17 PM »
very inspiring -- never done a bathroom remodel but nice to see your experience

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2017, 09:14:28 AM »
thanks for sharing this project with us!

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2017, 08:26:49 PM »
So after traveling most of February, I am back working on the bath regulary and have a lot of progress to share!

Day 16, 17, & 18 (february):
Drywall work.  These were shorter days, 2-3 hours of working where I was mudding and sanding the drywall.  I also took the opportunity to patch holes and cracks in the two bedrooms.

Photo for end of day 18 - drywall had the third coat of mud sanded with some touch-up spots of mud added.

Left wall

Right wall

Day 19 - short day (february):
Final sand and walls/ceiling primed

Day 20 (february):
1st coat of paint on walls and ceiling, painted bedroom as well.

Day 21 (3/1/17):
Second coat of paint on walls and crown molding

Day 21 picture:

Day 22 (3/4/17):
Taped and jointed concrete board, installed vanity lights and medicine cabinet

Day 22 pictures:

My favorite feature so far - custom electrical outlet in the built-in medicine cabinet (no clutter of wires on the vanity!)

Day 23 (3/5/17):
Troweled on the waterproof membrane on the bathtub walls. Installed the 1/4" hardiboard on the floors.  Installed the thermostat and wiring for the floors and layed out the heating element for the floors.  Installed cover plates on the electrical boxes.

Day 23 pictures:

Forward view

Reverse view with the new thermostat and cover plates

This upcoming week is going to be a busy one with work, but I hope to have the tiling done by saturdya and the grouting done sunday - just have to focus!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:33:02 PM by Enough »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2017, 09:02:04 PM »
It would be really cool if you posted your favorite resources for each of these items.  I don't know where you are getting your knowledge, but if it were me for example, I'd be guided by a really cool thread on under-floor heating, a separate posting on the proper backing to tile, and so forth.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2017, 01:36:56 PM »
Awesome work! Good work on the tape and mud.

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2017, 10:46:18 AM »
It would be really cool if you posted your favorite resources for each of these items.  I don't know where you are getting your knowledge, but if it were me for example, I'd be guided by a really cool thread on under-floor heating, a separate posting on the proper backing to tile, and so forth.

I got most of my knowledge on the 'rough-in' portion from my dad and working with him on a previous house.  I fill in the blanks from a few reference books on electrical and plumbing as needed (I cant remember the titles off the top of my head, but will add).   That prior knowledge and confidence is probably why I am so quick at working through the rough-in steps of renovations. 

The finishing (drywall mud, tiling, grouting, etc) is stuff that I have mostly learned on my own and through instruction guides and youtube / online resources.  I am nowhere near an expert yet and one of the big reasons I work so slowly on it is that I get stuck reading about how to do it and trying to decide between conflicting advice.   Your right though in that I should keep track of the good resources that I find and putting it all together would make a great post.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:10:26 PM by Enough »

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »
Question.  Should that outlet in the medicine cabinet have been a GFCI ?    It is a bathroom and pretty close to water.

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »
Question.  Should that outlet in the medicine cabinet have been a GFCI ?    It is a bathroom and pretty close to water.

It could be a GFCI outlet, but it is not necessary.  It is already GFCI protected as it is fed from the GFCI outlet below the medicine cabinet.  You only need one actual GFCI outlet to protect a series of outlets so long as it is properly positioned and wired.  Hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:19:24 PM by Enough »

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2017, 01:59:30 PM »
Perfectly.  I didn't know about the other one.

GilbertB

• Stubble
    • Sci-fi Meandering
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2017, 06:55:38 AM »
Doing the whole ground floor, with new furnace and thermal solar panels next summer, I'll do a step by step.

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2017, 07:29:59 AM »
Quick update:

Day 24 - 3/7:
After a trip to the store for a snap tile cutter I spent a few hours with some scrap tile practicing snaps and trying out a bullnose router bit and sander for creating bullnose edges.

Day 25 - 3/8:
Put down floor tile.  Although I finished the floor, I got a lot later start than I wanted and was there til midnight.  When I go back tonight, I'll find out how many mistakes I made when I was tired! No picture, I'll take one after I clean up all the thin-set that ended up on top of the tiles rather than under!

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2017, 11:36:50 AM »
I'm not sure how much tile you lay down but if you are ever doing more than a bathroom, I bought the following tile saw online many years ago for almost $200. It is now listed for $90 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HIWR08/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it for my bathroom remodel thinking it might be disposable if it didn't hold up. Since then I've used it on a dozen other projects and loaned it out for a dozen others and the thing keeps on ticking. I like it because I get a much better cut than using the scoring/snap cutters. I also use it to cut rounded profiles by making lots of vertical cuts to the line and then nibbling around them using the side of the blade. (The diamond coating goes back about 1/4" from the leading edge of the blade." It is very light and portable. The one drawback is that you have to keep the water cooling tank filled up and the blade flings it around so I generally make my cuts in the garage or outside.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2017, 04:15:31 PM »
I'm not sure how much tile you lay down but if you are ever doing more than a bathroom, I bought the following tile saw online many years ago for almost $200. It is now listed for $90 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HIWR08/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it for my bathroom remodel thinking it might be disposable if it didn't hold up. Since then I've used it on a dozen other projects and loaned it out for a dozen others and the thing keeps on ticking. I like it because I get a much better cut than using the scoring/snap cutters. I also use it to cut rounded profiles by making lots of vertical cuts to the line and then nibbling around them using the side of the blade. (The diamond coating goes back about 1/4" from the leading edge of the blade." It is very light and portable. The one drawback is that you have to keep the water cooling tank filled up and the blade flings it around so I generally make my cuts in the garage or outside.

This looks very much like the Rigid branded saw I bought a few years back for about the same price.  (Likely it's the same one branded 10 different ways.)

I'd always used the slide-snap type tile cutters before I bought it.  They're great for large tiles... a pain for a sheet of small tiles.... and they won't do anything for oddball cuts around corners, plumbing, etc.

I'm with lthenerson.  I've used mine quite a bit. It was useful at $200 and if you can get it for $90, it's a steal.  I've even been cutting bricks with mine lately.  (It takes 2 passes to cut them -- one from top, one from bottom.  It's not very efficient, but for a handful of bricks, it works.)

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »
Looking great!  Thanks for the update!

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32:24 AM »
I've even been cutting bricks with mine lately.  (It takes 2 passes to cut them -- one from top, one from bottom.  It's not very efficient, but for a handful of bricks, it works.)

Funny you say that. My daughter found a geode this summer and I cut it open using my tile saw and then polished the face with my palm sander. Turned out great.

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »
Day 26 - 3/10: Cleaned up the thinset from groutlines and from the top of the tile.  general cleanup of tools.

Pic of the floor:

Hope to grout tonight and install base molding / vanity / toilet / door / door trim tomorrow!

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2017, 06:48:25 PM »
This is looking so nice!

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2017, 08:36:10 PM »
Quick update for the work that I did over the weekend:

Day 27 - 3/11:
Short day for working on the bath, just grouted, took ~1.5 hours start to finish.

Pic of grouted floors:

You can see some haze in the picture, but it wiped up easily the next day

Day 28 - 3/12:
Much longer day.  Installed and finished the floor trim. Installed the toilet and vanity.  Worked a little bit on the built cabinetry.

Day 28 Pictures:

Cutouts in the foor trim for the vanity legs.

Looking much more like a bathroom!

Day 29 - 3/15:
The new faucet came in and got installed with the sink drain and vanity backsplash! 

Faucet pic:

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2017, 07:03:18 AM »
Really coming together.

Looks good.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2017, 06:05:31 PM »
Love the wall color with the vanity and countertop!

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2017, 08:40:55 AM »
Really coming together.

Looks good.

Love the wall color with the vanity and countertop!

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement!

I don't know if there will be much progress on the bathroom this weekend.  For the shower, I am having to cut my own bullnose, rounded edge tiles and I am waiting for the porcelain tile paint to come in for finishing the rounded edge. I may tile everything but the edge tiles - we will see.

I'm guessing it will take another 4-5 days or so for the tile, grout, cabinetry, and door work.   I am going to try making new cabinet doors for the built-ins. 

After this is done, it will be on to the kitchen!

gmp029

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2017, 05:08:06 PM »
OP, do you have a rough idea of the total cost for the project?

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2017, 09:37:08 PM »
OP, do you have a rough idea of the total cost for the project?

Original plan was to spend ~$3000, but the vanity blew the budget.  That and all the little stuff adds up.

Looks like it will come in just under $4,000.  This includes some new tools - not just supplies: 

Cost   Item   Location
 $210    Tub   Home Depot
 $112    Sink Faucet   Amazon
 $230    Shower RoughIn, Duroc, Insulation, Misc   Menards
 $130    Shower Trim Fixture   Ebay
 $50    Fan / Light   Amazon
 $193    Shower Tile   Lowes
 $71    Floor Tile   Lowes
 $35    Paint   Lowes
 $15    GFCI   Lowes
 $40    Crown Molding   Lowes
 $64    Hardiboard & Screws   Lowes
 $12    Sponge, Mesh Tape   Home Depot
 $26    Snap Tile Cutter   Harbor Freight
 $30    Shower Tile Enamel   Amazon
 $90    Bullnose Blade   Amazon
 $400    Shower Door (Glass)   Amazon
 $55    Hole Saw Kits   Harbor Freight
 $130    Medicine Cabinet   Amazon
 $67    Materials - Drywall & Mud    Home Depot
 $36    Grout   Lowes
 $74    Thinset   Home Depot
 $54    Foam & Siding   Lowes
 $45    Window   Lowes
 $20    Plywood   Home Depot
 $1,063    Vanity / Sink / Vanity Top   Houzz
 $50    Vanity Lights   Amazon
 $45    Electrical Misc   Lowes
 $205    Heated Floors   Amazon
 $180    Lowes Misc   Lowes
 $30    Roof Vent Cap   Amazon
 $50    Pex   Lowes
 $118    Drain/Supply Plumbing Materials   Menards
 $18    Trim   Lowes
 $13  Toilet Seat  Lowes

$3972  Grand Total

Not included are some smaller supplies under that I had lying around (drywall screws, wire & conduit, window tape, roofing felt, gloss white trim paint, etc.).  I'm sure those would have been under $100-300 if bought new.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:27:22 AM by Enough »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2017, 07:26:09 AM »
Ugh. Yeah, I can't get a budget together fort these projects either. 25% -40% over whatever I figure is about right, plus I'm usually way off on how long it will take me.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2017, 07:37:11 AM »
I have a project like this coming up. I should post a before picture. Imagine a pink tile floor with brown tile tub surround and floor trim, matched to a geometric laminate pink countertop and brown walls with one red accent wall. Hideous.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2017, 09:35:28 PM »
Looking good!  I just had two tiles fail in my tub surround (crack in the grout led to the tile separating from the cement board).  I chiseled off the old adhesive and reset the tiles, about to do the grout.  My question is: should I seal the grout?  Are you going to do anything special to your surround grout?