Author Topic: $6,250 for LeafGuard gutters via Costco  (Read 131674 times)

Lifeblood

• Stubble
$6,250 for LeafGuard gutters via Costco
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:50:51 AM »
I received a quote for fancy LeafGuard gutters. List price was $7,716, less various discounts, coming to $6,250. This seems ridiculous. I am not going to attempt this project as DIY, plan to get some more quotes, and would love to get some sense of how much gutters should cost for an average-sized house. Has anyone done this?

The one bright side is that I would be able to have no interest and no payments for 12 months.

Murr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: $6,250 for LeafGuard gutters via Costco
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 12:19:54 PM »
I got estimates for 3 different lead guard systems and all were ridiculously priced. I bought a blower for $100, climb on the roof and blow the gutters out myself every couple months. Avoided large expense and I know the gutters are cleaned. My biggest fear with the guards is that they would clog one day and I wouldn't know it leading to having to clean anyway and possible damage.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 01:20:27 PM »
I chopped down the 2 trees that were hanging over my house. No need for leafguards, and no worries that a storm will smush my house.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 01:30:49 PM »
Early last year I retired from a career of building new, modest homes. In the last decade I can't recall writing a check for more than $450  for a new, custom colored, seamless gutter installation. At the prices you were quoted, I could afford to tear them off, and have new ones installed every time they get filled up with leaves.

The ability of some providers to rape the public (replacement windows, kitchen refacers, magic gutter sellers, etc...) is mind blowing, especially after you realize that the whole game needs two players. A seller who is charging 4- 10X what the product is worth, and a buyer who is dumb enough to buy the crap.

LokiMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »
My brother swears by Gutterbrush.

http://www.gutterbrush.com/

I don't have them on my house yet but the concept is simple, very much DIY friendly and not $6250.00

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »
My house is a flat ranch, so one story only, and around 1,000 square feet. I just got an estimate from a long-established, reputable local company for Leaf Guard gutters for $2,070.  The company also outlined a number of things I could do to avoid having to have them installed. (Get on roof myself, etc., etc.) I am pretty sure I'm not going to get them installed, but feel that I got a knowledgeable assessment without a bunch of baloney or sales pressure.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 07:57:02 PM »
I installed the leaf guards on my gutters for about $200. It took me about 3 hours to do all of the gutters on a one story cape. The tricky part was moving the ladder around but it was so worth it. Every 2-3 years, I take a few of the guards off and wash out the gutters because silt, bird poop and run off from the roof still accumulates in the channels. I have rain barrels connected to all of the gutters so I clean those out at the same time. It has been a big time saver and the cost wasnt ridiculous.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 07:51:54 AM »
Home Depot sells section of gutter guard that you can install yourself. The sections are about 4' long and as I recall - cheap.

I had new gutters put on recently (w/o gutter guards) and went with a larger gutter because the primary problem at my house is relatively large roof area to gutter ratio (lots of roof, not much gutter). Not only would there be lots of leaves (due to lots of trees) but even when clean the gutters would over flow. The larger gutters are easier to clean because they are about 2" wider and only slightly more expensive than the 4" gutter. Agree that using a leaf blower is the way to go - super quick and you don't have to get your hands in the muck.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 08:26:53 AM »
I'm still not sold on the utility of having gutters at all. My house was built in 1948 and never had gutters until 5 years ago, when the FHA forced me to install them in order for them to approve my mortgage. I've seen no evidence that they've improved the drainage in any way, and they've been nothing but a pain in the ass since. (Because my yard has several mature trees, they not only fill up with leaves quickly but also occasionally get dented by falling branches). The only advantage that I've seen is that they allow me to have rain barrels.

Am I completely crazy for wanting to just rip them off again once and for all, and go gutterless?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 09:13:28 AM »
I'm still not sold on the utility of having gutters at all. My house was built in 1948 and never had gutters until 5 years ago, when the FHA forced me to install them in order for them to approve my mortgage. I've seen no evidence that they've improved the drainage in any way, and they've been nothing but a pain in the ass since. (Because my yard has several mature trees, they not only fill up with leaves quickly but also occasionally get dented by falling branches). The only advantage that I've seen is that they allow me to have rain barrels.

Am I completely crazy for wanting to just rip them off again once and for all, and go gutterless?

It probably depends on your roof line.

My roof line is such that every drop of water that lands on my house comes down one of 4 valleys at Niagra falls speeds.  Without gutters, I have large holes in the sandy soil beneath them.  Gutters slow down the deluge and disperse it more gently.

I don't have leaf gaurds... But have been wondering how to hack them in relatively inexpensively.   

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 09:18:06 AM »

There are too many variables to really answer if they are a good idea.  I've seen lots of rural Georgia houses that look terrible with red clay splashed half way up the siding. Which is a result of no gutters. I have seen several buildings in my area of the northeast that had foundation failures due to failed gutters, and frost heaving, after the ground at the foundation becomes saturated. I have seen lots of rotted siding and even structure on buildings with missing and failed gutters in my area. OTOH, there are plenty of climates and locations,  where gutters are frequently avoided, and there are no issues.

alberteh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 09:56:22 PM »
paid $1000 for gutters installed, 1100 sq. ft and 22 feet in the air. i live in a rural area with very expensive rates for construction trades.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »
I have a cautionary tale about gutter guards. I bought my house two years ago and thought I was being really clever by having a friend install gutter guards I bought at Lowe's. The problem is that that type, which is slid onto the gutters and just under the first row of shingles, can easily end up situated such that water ends up running behind the gutters. I can't explain exactly what happened but I think the tops of the guards ended up tilted the wrong way (toward the house). Water does run downhill (duh). I ended up pulling all of them off, cleaning the gutters by hand for a few seasons, and then got entirely new gutters installed with the proper guards built in. I also got the trim behind the gutters wrapped in aluminum. It was expensive, but I do hate household maintenance and now that wood will never have to be painted again. The gutters work much better now, too.

Getting that expensive job done by someone else was probably un-Mustachian, but some things are just beyond me. I hope that's the last major maintenance the house needs for at least another year.

Bartstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 06:42:06 AM »
I had an estimate done through Costco too and they quoted me $1200 for about 11 linear feet of gutter and 2 down spouts.    I went to home depot and bought some covers for about $8 total.

attica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 11:02:38 AM »
I have a ranch and probably about 6 large trees dropping not only leaves but whirly bird seed pods on to my gutters. I bought a bunch of GutterStuft from Home Depot for about $400. It's not the grate you screw in but a porous foam that's shaped to stuff right in to the gutter. I still have to go up on the ladder in the spring and fall and spray off the seed pods and leaves with a hose in a couple spots where the seed pods still collect, but it's still a vast improvement of having to go up like every other week to clean out the gutters and unstuff the downspouts.

pagoconcheques

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 05:20:12 PM »
I'm still not sold on the utility of having gutters at all.

You're totally sane; that's what I did.  I just did a little reshaping of the dirt near the walls of the house to ensure that water drained away from the foundation before beginning its natural downhill flow away from the house.  Look up "French drain" on the internet if you need a more sophisticated version.  Seriously, any half-decent landscaper can install a complete system in a day or two for probably much less than the OP's quote for gutter guards. 

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 08:44:08 AM »
My dad was a gutter installer years ago and I worked with him through high school/college.  Leaf guard gutters are usually more trouble than they are worth (unless they have changed significantly in 10 years).  We would charge anywhere from around 700-2k depending on house size to install regular gutters.  I would just do that and clean them.

McChee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 07:26:17 PM »
One of our vendors installed seamless gutters on my home with leaf guards for $1,100 on an 1,800 square foot single story home.

I do recommend seamless gutters over the DIY stuff at Lowe's or Home Depot because there are fewer places for water to leak.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 08:06:05 PM »
Early last year I retired from a career of building new, modest homes. In the last decade I can't recall writing a check for more than $450  for a new, custom colored, seamless gutter installation. At the prices you were quoted, I could afford to tear them off, and have new ones installed every time they get filled up with leaves.

The ability of some providers to rape the public (replacement windows, kitchen refacers, magic gutter sellers, etc...) is mind blowing, especially after you realize that the whole game needs two players. A seller who is charging 4- 10X what the product is worth, and a buyer who is dumb enough to buy the crap.
[/quoteI was a builder as well and that is how I remember it.       My gutters are currently clogged.  Most of them I'll just remove and never put up.     With a thoughtful landscape gutters are pretty much unneeded mostly.

NewportRandy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 04:01:17 PM »
Thanks for all of the input and info.  I just took a look at GutterBrush and they are offering a free 6 ft. sample pack at www.gutterbrush.com  I am going to give it a try and will try to report back on how it performs. Definitely looks like a simple solution and much less expensive than many of the options discussed.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 04:37:45 PM »

Just my experience, but I had the gutters removed during a roof fix as I also could not see the point in them. And then noticed that the eaves were rotting (water running off the roof line and catching along the wood eave line), and that water was collecting in a low spot near my foundation and seeping up through the slab to dampen about 1 sq foot of carpeting. Kind of mad at myself when I realized that.

Gutters put back on, no issues since. We paid under $500 for about 300-400 feet of regular gutters (with 3 downspouts) installed by Lowes (mind you this was years ago), and then added the leaf guards myself after getting annoyed at cleaning them out. Cost me about $40 for the plastic snap in ones that can be cut down. No problems since.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 05:35:32 PM »
We've had Mastershield gutter guards on our house for close to ten years.  Haven't had to mess with them once since they were put on and we get a ton of debris since we live in a forest with tall tulip trees everywhere.  I think it was about $2500 for a 3500sqft home. 

The key difference with mastershield is that they physically lower your gutter when they install so that the screen guard is at the same pitch as your roof, and any debris just blows off the guard instead of collecting on top of a flat guard like most other products. 

Anyway, gutter guards were one of the best exterior purchases we ever made for our home, though there's no way in hell I'd spend $6k on them.  It was always a dangerous affair getting an extension ladder up and trying to climb up and clean them by hand.  Such a relief not to have to worry about that task every fall.

http://www.mastershield.com/

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 06:54:34 AM »
Gutter covers are dumb and could lead to roof leaks.  Wet leaves will accumulate atop those screens / guards and keep water from getting into the gutters.  If you're going to have gutters, just keep them open, and clean them out on a routine basis.

I build commercial industrial buildings in an area known for hard winters and rural enough that trees and leaves are a common issue.   Can't tell you how many times we've sent guys out to deal with a roof leak and it winds up being plugged or iced gutters.   People do not maintain them.

I almost always try to design buildings in a manner where gutters are not required, as they just require maintenance and often lead to leaks and other problems.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 06:55:21 PM »
I installed the leaf guards on my gutters for about $200. It took me about 3 hours to do all of the gutters on a one story cape. The tricky part was moving the ladder around but it was so worth it. Every 2-3 years, I take a few of the guards off and wash out the gutters because silt, bird poop and run off from the roof still accumulates in the channels. I have rain barrels connected to all of the gutters so I clean those out at the same time. It has been a big time saver and the cost wasnt ridiculous.

We bought a house with leaf guard already installed.  When we renovated, I removed them, washed and painted, then re-installed.  I will second that they are nto maintenance free.  Dirt and mildew build up on the drip edge, breaking the tension, then the rain overshoots the gutters.   Took about 5-6 years for this to happen, (even the original unpainted sections) now I need to wash / scrub them which is a bit of effort.  Getting on the roof and cleaning them out (old fashioned open type) was actually easier.   Especially as I am on the roof anyway 2x per year to clean skylights and inspect the caulking around the chimney and vents.  Note -- I live in the PNW where mildew buildup and moss is a big challenge, other locations may fare better..   

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 07:49:29 AM »

We bought a house with leaf guard already installed.  When we renovated, I removed them, washed and painted, then re-installed.  I will second that they are nto maintenance free.  Dirt and mildew build up on the drip edge, breaking the tension, then the rain overshoots the gutters.   Took about 5-6 years for this to happen, (even the original unpainted sections) now I need to wash / scrub them which is a bit of effort.  Getting on the roof and cleaning them out (old fashioned open type) was actually easier.   Especially as I am on the roof anyway 2x per year to clean skylights and inspect the caulking around the chimney and vents.  Note -- I live in the PNW where mildew buildup and moss is a big challenge, other locations may fare better..

Hmm... maybe you need $10,000 copper Leafguard gutters! ; )

reader2580

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 03:56:06 AM »
LeafGuard gutters are a specific brand of gutters that are designed to never need cleaning.  They are super expensive, but they work.  The gutters are one piece with the leaf protect built in.

I paid about $1700 just to put LeafGuard on one side of my current house.  It came to $34 a foot.  Yes, it hurt to pay that much for gutters, but cleaning out leaves is such a pain.  I had them on previous house, but the price was a lot less back then.  I never had any issues in 12 years on the other house.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 06:54:14 PM »
FWIW:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3909677&KPID=6925611&pla=pla_6925611

Our's have been in place since last summer. So far, so good. Only downside is that the roof valleys will overshoot the guards during heavy rain and so far that isn't a bad thing.

Will be watching them carefully in the coming years. Getting new roof this year, will inspect the roof decking around the guards.

I have no idea how these would fare up north with ice and snow. All I know was that we were cleaning the gutters several times per season and it was taking a toll on the gutters themselves with the ladder laying against them. Also the gutters would sometimes fill with leaves and debris during a single rain/wind storm event and then overflow for days until I could get back up there and clean them out again.

I have the curved expanded wire type on the back gutters (came with the house) and they are okay but they don't keep the leaves out very well and the leaves tend to pile up along the edges of the wire. I always though they needed to tuck under the shingles but it requires alot of shingle bending to hinge these wiry variety of guards open and with old shingles I always worry about breaking shingles.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2016, 07:04:12 PM »

I don't have them on my house yet but the concept is simple, very much DIY friendly and not $6250.00
e

I just saw them using these on 'Ask This Old House'. Not sure if this is a vote of confidence in the product worth considering, or just product placement. They did say to make sure your gutters are clean before installing. For $200-$300, at least it is not an expensive option.

Lifeblood

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2016, 09:05:56 PM »
OP here: Instead of LeafGuard, I ended up paying $815.25 to a local gutter place. I do have to remove leaves and fir needles occasionally (at least from the parts I can reach easily). I have serious doubts that the LeafGuard would work against fir needles anyway.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 09:57:26 PM »

We've had these for four years. In a neighbourhood with many mature trees. They work great. At first I was worried about the accumulation of dead leaves on top, until I realized the next wind storm took them away.  I have since  idly wondered if a worn artificial tree with branches of suitable diameter couldn't have been cannibalized for a nearly free substitute. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:01:19 PM by Tabitha »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 09:21:42 PM »
Update

I power washed some of my last weekend, (along the drip line), where crud had built up and stopped them from pulling water into them.

It worked well.     They were new clean / washed about 6 years ago, lots of moss grows around here in winter..

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2016, 07:29:42 PM »
Saving for future use. Thanks!

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 05:18:37 PM »
It probably depends on your roof line.

My roof line is such that every drop of water that lands on my house comes down one of 4 valleys at Niagra falls speeds.  Without gutters, I have large holes in the sandy soil beneath them.  Gutters slow down the deluge and disperse it more gently.

I don't have leaf gaurds... But have been wondering how to hack them in relatively inexpensively.

my experience is the same. 
badly leaking gutters caused drainage issues that led to foundation settling.
cleaning the gutters is well worth the effort.
we installed gutter guards last year because we know too elderly men who fell off ladders while cleaning gutters.

NewportRandy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2017, 08:11:10 PM »

We have had GutterBrush in our gutters for over a year.  SIMPLE to install and not only have they kept the gutters flowing, they also reduced icicles and ice dams which had been a big problem on the front of our house. Cost us about $300 to do our entire house (100+ ft.)  Good stuff!

Bradfurd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 09:53:23 AM »
FWIW, I paid a contractor $3800 to install new vinyl vented soffit after cutting vent holes in existing solid plywood soffit, wrap all existing wood fascia in white aluminum coil stock, install new seamless gutters and downspouts, and install insulation and beaded soffit on the underside of a 150sf porch. This was for a 1200SF L shaped ranch w/ walkout basement, rear almost 20' off the ground, sloped terrain.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2017, 10:30:31 AM »
When my roof was replaced a year ago the old leaf guards were put back on by the contractors, looked like it took a guy less than an hour and was the most chill easy part of his day.  I have looked inside them a few times and never found any debris.   

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2020, 08:19:47 AM »
OP what is your total footage? that sounds insanely high

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2020, 10:08:39 PM »
What’s the best DIY solution for pine needles?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2020, 11:00:43 AM »
Before getting any type of gutter covering, you need to account for physics. If you have a very steep roof, the water is going to flow differently than if you have a shallow roof. I have a steep roof (if it's wet out, the roofing guys don't want to go on my roof). For my house, if there's a solid cover on the gutter, then the water is just going to overshoot and I'll have a waterfall. I did get the gutter covers, but the ones I got are basically chickenwire cut to size. They work great to keep big stuff out. They don't keep little stuff out, so some of that gets stuck and some comes out the downspout.

I had 2 main problems. First, if I got enough stuck on top of the gutter screens, the leaves would block water from getting into the relatively clear gutters and I'll have waterfalls over the edge of the gutters. Quite impressive actually. The other problem is in a few cases, the screens got forced down into the gutter by the weight of the stuff on top (winter, probably ice). Which significantly decreased the water flow inside the gutter until someone got up there to clean them out and fix the screens.

Regardless of the presence of the screens, I find I still have to clean the gutters. How often depends on the trees nearby. When I had 2 mature maples right next to the house, I was cleaning them in spring (seeds) and fall (leaves). When the trees were cut down, I had to clean the gutters (woodshavings). I haven't had enough time since then to figure out the schedule, but there's no longer any significant plant matter getting into the gutters, so probably not frequently.

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2020, 10:57:58 AM »

I rented in a cheap 2 story apartment one.  It didn't have gutters.  We ended up with a one foot deep trench in front where the heavy rain fell off the roof.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!