Bought my house around 1 year ago and apparently what fell through the home inspection process was that the master bath addition's 4" sewer line had basically zero slope (maybe uphill slope) for 70ft all the way to the septic tank. Also, here's the kicker... It had never even been fully connected and had a 90 degree corner piece missing which was left unfinished and buried with the line ending into a wall of dirt (probably because they realized the problem here).
As soon as we moved in the master bath backed up within 1-2 days and I thought I was already having a septic problems. I then discovered the truth. I had been considering different solutions in my head throughout the last year but had been putting it off because I couldn't decide what to do and other fixer upper projects were taking priority because we had a perfectly working second bathroom.
So in the end I decided to build a sewage lift station with a sewage ejector pump similar to what is installed in basements up north. Living in Florida where basements do not exist no-one has uphill sewage problems and no stores stock any sump pump or sewage pump supplies. I had to order everything online which made me nervous to buy sight unseen but it all worked out very well. I would like to share some pictures from the project this past weekend. Total cost was $550 for pump, basin, lid, PVC fitting, electrical conduits, outlets, etc.
Original pipe dug up after days of excruciating excavation work due to crazy root infested soil:
Sewage Basin installed in ground with 4" bath drainage pipe installed:
Pump and lid installed on basin:
one-way valve and vent installed:
Entire line reconnected with new clean out access and a DOWNHILL SLOPE! =):
Finished!! complete with a cover (made from top of old doghouse) and enclosed electric wiring & outlet: