Author Topic: What is Stoicism and How Can it Turn your Life to Solid Gold?  (Read 2624 times)

garuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re-reading this post and decided to have a look at picking up a copy of 'The ancient art of stoic joy'...

Looks like Amazon have capitalised on the MMM readership showing an interest in this book!* Camelcamelcamel shows a notable spike in price following somewhere around October 2011!

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Guide-Good-Life-Ancient-Stoic/product/0195374614?context=browse

* Yes, I am aware that correlation <> causation - but it looked mildly significant to me!!

Anyway, I like this article - have been discussing this with a friend at work and working out ways that such a philosophy can be applied to our lives currently!

Bayou Dweller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Spend less. Live more.
    • Just Stop Spending
Re: What is Stoicism and How Can it Turn your Life to Solid Gold?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 06:38:47 AM »
I'm surprised that more people haven't been talking about this book (or maybe I've just missed it). I know this post is old, but I'm gonna post here anyway...

I'm about 3/4th of the way through A Guide to the Good Life, which is the book mentioned in this article.

Reading through it you can clearly see that it's almost 100% Mustachian, or rather, Mustachianism (or Pete, really) is almost 100% Stoic. It's kind of cool reading the "source" documents of the Mustachian philosophy in a way. I learned a lot from reading the book, despite being a long-time Mustachian. The author lays out actionable tips for your life, too, which is really sweet (and parallels the advice on this blog).

I can see why Pete calls it "Badassity" now. Stoicism is definitely badass.
Just Stop Spending - Spend Less. Live more.
https://juststopspending.com

stoaX

• Bristles
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
Re: What is Stoicism and How Can it Turn your Life to Solid Gold?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 02:09:08 PM »
Go to the mustachian book club pages and read all about it.