Author Topic: Voluntary discomfort - please share your experiences!  (Read 36227 times)

talltexan

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Voluntary discomfort - please share your experiences!
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2019, 06:59:16 AM »
I'm serious this thread has the most hard-core people on the Mustache planet. You guys are examples.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2019, 12:09:15 PM »
I've been on 2 recent hikes through some pretty nasty stuff. One was a well traveled horse trail that was a swamp. About 5 miles all the way around. Halfway through you come out on a cliff above the lake. I stopped, set up my camp chair and had lunch. 2nd hike was at a local nature center. It was the only trail I had not hiked and by far the longest and muddiest. I took the dog as well. We were both a muddy happy mess at the end.

Supposed to get 6 inches of snow this weekend. Looking forward to some snow hiking.

Gail2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2019, 01:42:28 PM »
This is one that I have to work on. I make my lunch everyday and i work in a culture of young bucks that order out every day. I gather this isn't the discomfort i see you're celebrating but as I am new to this site and the extreme side of things it is a start. I do need to get up earlier and exercise.Unfortunately the commute to work just isn't feasible between the kiddo in my life and the time restrictions I face.

Waking up at 5 am in stead of 5:45 started today. Hoping to keep myself accountable and suffer happily along with you folks.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2019, 12:46:50 PM »
I was telling a family member about voluntary discomfort and how I try to keep the heat turned way down when I'm alone in a big house.  I wear a super-comfy hoody-jacket and put an afghan on my legs/feet while I'm sitting at my desk.  Family member says "I can't stand to be cold.  That wouldn't pass for me!"

Well, duh!  Me neither...that's what the jacket and afghan are for! 

I don't know how my family members are so different from me, but they seem to all want to wear short sleeves in the middle of winter and they expect to be comfortable like that.  It makes me want to scream!

talltexan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2019, 08:56:16 AM »
Rain was coming, so I walked out to my car, and took my umbrella out of the trunk, but I didn't move the car into the closer, covered parking.

Now that I type this, it seems a little weak compared to the rest of you awesome people here.

happyuk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Software and IT recipes
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2019, 01:52:49 PM »
The summer of 2018 in the UK was one of the longest and hottest on record.

I would spend whole weekends and holiday periods tending to my allotment vegetable plot in the bright sunshine and baking heat, with only my gardening tools and bottles of Indian tonic water for company, far away from my work office.

The memories are still vivid.  Sweat dripping from my brow on to the dry soil.  Using the deep digging technique with plenty of soil improver to the soil in a really good condition in readiness for all the seedlings and tubers I was going to plant.  Spending hours thoroughly going through the soil targeting Mare's Tail and other unwanted weeds, the feel of the warm soil on my fingers.  The same red-breasted robin hopping alongside me, scouting for freshly dug earth worms.  Giving the potatoes, broad beans, onion sets, butternut squashes, peas, zuccinis, french beans, beetroots etc a thorough soaking when needed and pulling them and eating them raw or preserving them as and when.

I had never been happier.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:17:00 PM by happyuk »

I-Ranger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2019, 07:59:49 PM »
-62 degree wind chill and I walked to work. It's only 3 blocks, but damn was it invigorating!

Budgie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2019, 09:25:34 PM »
Well, I had babies at home without any pain medication. That was pretty uncomfortable for a bit, but very exhilarating, too. I felt like I'd won an Olympic event AND gotten a baby as the prize :)  One time I got stitches afterward, also without pain meds. Sounds dramatic but really not even in the top ten, discomfort-wise for me.

The most discomfort I've ever endured was being a foster parent for a year to an infant we knew we would not be adopting. We cared for and totally loved the baby every day of his life until he was adopted, knowing that he would be leaving us. When he left it was more than discomfort, it was agony. But for a good purpose, and totally voluntary.

What else...tattoos, sleeping on the floor/other hard surfaces for months at a time, not using sweetener, not eating after 6pm, no AC for several years...these are things others have seen as discomforts, but didn't usually register with me as uncomfortable and were just part of meeting other goals.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2019, 09:24:47 AM »
 Mine was involuntary discomfort!
 After the hurricane we were without power for 8 days.
The first bath was with water from a bucket poured over myself with
a smaller container. It felt very cold and uncomfortable, however
the feeling once I dried off and got dressed was amazing.
 The second day, those buckets were put in the sun all day to warm.
Much more comfortable bath, but didn't have the same feeling after dressing.
 If I can pull it off, I might try a cold shower today. I normally take a very hot shower.

Gail2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2019, 08:06:12 PM »
Mine was involuntary discomfort!
 After the hurricane we were without power for 8 days.
The first bath was with water from a bucket poured over myself with
a smaller container. It felt very cold and uncomfortable, however
the feeling once I dried off and got dressed was amazing.
 The second day, those buckets were put in the sun all day to warm.
Much more comfortable bath, but didn't have the same feeling after dressing.
 If I can pull it off, I might try a cold shower today. I normally take a very hot shower.

You might be a candidate for the local polar bear club. Id have to find it but there is a link between drastic temperature variation and longevity of life.
We went to a spa that operated on that principle. 10 mins in the sauna and a run through ice water that beautifully cascaded from an ice formation into that bloody pool we ventured into. Not exactly what qualifies me to step in.

I am going with out major purchases for clothes. Its been tempting a few times this past year but I may hav to cave for decent clothes for summer. Thrift shops, here I come.