Author Topic: Voluntary discomfort - please share your experiences!  (Read 81716 times)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
Re: Voluntary discomfort - please share your experiences!
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2016, 12:20:05 PM »
I've been turning my smart phone off for several hours at a time. Today, I took a lunch break from work without even turning it on. It started when I was having trouble charging it, but I've continued even since getting the charging port cleaned out.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2016, 12:59:58 PM »
I donate platelets. Huge needle in the vein takes out blood, runs it through a machine to remove the plasma and platelets, combines what's left with saline and pumps it back into the arm via the same needle. The saline is cold, and thus I am freezing (fingernails turn purple even). The anticoagulant in the saline makes my face numb and my mouth taste awful. I have to squeeze a ball the whole time (~3 hours) while keeping the rest of my body perfectly still because I can't do anything to risk moving the needle. I find it extremely difficult to hold still under normal circumstances. That hand goes numb as well around the 90 minute mark. And no aspirin or NSAIDs 36 hours beforehand, so no relief for any headaches or anything that pops up during that period. But I get Oreos and apple juice after, so there's that.

I recently signed up for the bone marrow registry. I'm sure if I ever get called up for donation, the platelet apheresis will seem like a walk in the park by comparison.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2016, 04:44:29 PM »
I've been turning my smart phone off for several hours at a time. Today, I took a lunch break from work without even turning it on. It started when I was having trouble charging it, but I've continued even since getting the charging port cleaned out.
Awesome. We've been putting ours on our mantle during the day at home. I like the shutting it off idea!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:12:50 PM by PFHC »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2016, 05:10:53 PM »
Very much enjoying this thread as I lie in my hammock by the pool, under the palm trees. Carry on!

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2016, 05:14:49 PM »
Very much enjoying this thread as I lie in my hammock by the pool, under the palm trees. Carry on!
Here's mine for the day. Slogging away at work, 3500 miles across a sea from home, while pbkmaine chills in a hammock under a palm tree.

;)

Enjoy pbk!!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2016, 05:36:22 PM »
Although "chill" is perhaps not the right word for July in Florida

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2016, 05:39:58 PM »
I just wanted to remind us all how damn fortunate we are to be able to chose our discomforts. That is an incredible luxury that most of the world does not get to enjoy. I am infinitely grateful for the option.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2016, 06:34:15 PM »
I just wanted to remind us all how damn fortunate we are to be able to chose our discomforts. That is an incredible luxury that most of the world does not get to enjoy. I am infinitely grateful for the option.
Hear, hear! 

Just got the ok from doc to resume normal activity after getting my gallbladder removed.   I rode my bike to band practice (3 miles round-trip).  It's warm and humid outside, but fine as long as you remember to keep drinking.  The voluntary discomfort made sitting for 2 hours in the air-conditioned practice room feel luxurious indeed!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OurFirstFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2016, 09:46:19 PM »
Two mild discomforts to share:
  • While travelling on business, I make a point not to just hop in a taxi with the company credit card.  Sure, if I have to get to a meeting straight from the airport I'll make the right choice for the company.  But if it's my time I'll walk or take public transportation.  I don't save any money, because I can either claim a taxi receipt or a bus receipt with no extra to my pocket, so this is voluntary inconvenience with no financial reward.  It actually makes me enjoy the trip a lot more because they're things I would do when travelling for pleasure.  I've walked 2-3 miles back to my hotel at the end of the day on several occasions, and it can be a great way to see a new city.
  • My current job is only about a 10 min walk from the office, and 5pm rain storms are common.  During a downpour I'll walk straight past all the people huddling under the awning waiting for it to let up and walk into the rain at a normal pace.  Bonus points if I remember to keep my head up and have a joyous smile on my face as I get soaked.  Then when I get home can just put on dry clothes no problem.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2016, 02:29:51 PM »
I donate platelets. Huge needle in the vein takes out blood, runs it through a machine to remove the plasma and platelets, combines what's left with saline and pumps it back into the arm via the same needle. The saline is cold, and thus I am freezing (fingernails turn purple even). The anticoagulant in the saline makes my face numb and my mouth taste awful. I have to squeeze a ball the whole time (~3 hours) while keeping the rest of my body perfectly still because I can't do anything to risk moving the needle. I find it extremely difficult to hold still under normal circumstances. That hand goes numb as well around the 90 minute mark. And no aspirin or NSAIDs 36 hours beforehand, so no relief for any headaches or anything that pops up during that period. But I get Oreos and apple juice after, so there's that.

I recently signed up for the bone marrow registry. I'm sure if I ever get called up for donation, the platelet apheresis will seem like a walk in the park by comparison.

This is so great. I have been mulling over donating blood for such a long time now. I was underweight for ages, and had vitamin issues and some other minor health stuff until recently. Now I'm actually healthy and I'm basically just a scaredy cat. I justify not doing it because I honestly am a fainter - I come over all funny every time I have to have a blood test and I sometimes think that I should just fucking do it and donate blood and get over it. I'm not afraid of needles per se, my body just likes having blood in it. But I feel bad that I could be doing this simple thing that costs me nothing but a bit of time.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2016, 01:45:07 AM »
Every weekday morning I get into a pool at 5AM and swim laps. The water usually feels cold and I have to tell myself the same story every morning about how I will get warmer in a couple of laps. I always feel fantastic and renewed after I'm done. It never gets easier though.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2016, 05:11:58 AM »
Does anyone who sleeps in a cool room ever try to leave the sheets/covers off themselves all night to acclimate to winter weather faster?  I like to sleep in a cool room, but am always snug under the covers. I started trying to leave my shoulders and back exposed to the cooler air, but I hate it! 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2016, 07:21:19 AM »
Does anyone who sleeps in a cool room ever try to leave the sheets/covers off themselves all night to acclimate to winter weather faster?  I like to sleep in a cool room, but am always snug under the covers. I started trying to leave my shoulders and back exposed to the cooler air, but I hate it!

While I'm comfortable cycling to work through snow and driving wind all winter long, I'm not sure I see the point of making yourself uncomfortable at night for no discernible benefit.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2016, 07:57:18 AM »
I can't sleep without something covering me, even in the middle of summer. However, I am trying to go as long as possible before I upgrade from hoodie to jacket/coat--hoping to acclimate a bit before winter hits this year.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2016, 08:27:54 AM »

I have to have something covering me. When I'm trying to snap my body into winter weather mode, I will: take a walk outside without a jacket, but *with* hats and gloves, because screw being miserable. I will also make a point to not towel off immediately upon finishing my shower, and let myself get a little cold as I wipe down the walls, etc. And then the biggest thing is keeping the house overall cool- a cool room won't help much if you spend the day in a warm living room =)

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »
although not as hard-core as many of the others...

My DH has switched to black coffee and I'm working my way up to that point.  You drink less, you don't get the extra calories and sugar.  I love creamer tho.....

We have both switched to raw vegetables for snacking versus chips. It took awhile for me to adjust but now I crave celery and carrots throughout the day.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2017, 08:57:22 AM »
Parenting.

Forever Wednesday

« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
Some things I've tried:

Cold Showers - I rented a period property last winter and the boiler wasn't very efficient, so to save money I took cold showers instead of heated. These make you feel amazing and I can definitely vouch for them.

No Internet - I once had a real problem with wasting time online (Youtube, forums, whatever), so one day I experimented with cutting off my internet access. I haven't looked back to be honest! I'm way more productive now, and whenever I need to access the internet I just bring my laptop to a cafe with WiFi. Grabbing a coffee might not be very Mustachian, but hey I'm not paying for home internet. :) My phone has 1Gb of data which is all I need for using Maps, WhatsApp and random other things. Most towns are littered with WiFi hot spots anyway.

No Car - I've never owned a car. Bikes take me most places, and for longer journeys I take the train. While a train journey is typically slower than a car journey (inc. waiting times and traveling to the station itself), I'm also free to do things I couldn't do while driving (read a book, meditate, stretch my legs, etc), so the time is of higher quality.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2017, 03:23:35 PM »
I am willing to put up with some discomfort as means to an end, for example temporarily depriving myself of foods I like because I feel better if I keep my weight down.  I will do without luxuries for the sake of others or the environment as well, but I refuse to be a martyr. I am no good to others if my basic needs are not being met.

Some on here seem to be flagellating themselves for no visible benefit. Is badassity the new purity? Is it so difficult to keep the angel from the door?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2017, 03:35:15 PM »
I clean my own house. That's about it.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2017, 06:08:15 PM »
I have a pretty good one that was inspired by MMM. My entire life I have hated cold weather, and by cold I mean anything under 45 degrees. I took MMM's advice a few years ago and bought really great clothing for cold weather, and it helped a little, but I still hated winter. Three years ago I was facing another cold winter and dreading it, and I realized I was dreading something totally natural and inevitable, and that it was making me a less happy person. It was all so insanely stupid! So, I set off to force myself to love winter. I committed to going outside for at least two hours per day (in addition to going to work and stuff, I mean going out to just walk around), every day, no matter what the weather was.

The first couple months were rough, but by the time the temperature dropped to 15 degrees and it was really dark...I was pretty tough. It really wasn't that bad, I started to appreciate how quiet and empty it was, how pristine everything looked, how energized I was at work. By the end of the winter I was almost sad to see it go. It just took one season of going out all the time for me to love winter. I can honestly say that I love every season now! Temporary Discomfort = Longterm Strength.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2017, 06:40:34 PM »
Very, very cool (oh! no pun intended), rdanee10!

I love cold, snowy winter :)

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2017, 08:47:00 PM »
Parenting.
How about parenting traumatized foster kids!

Also, driving a 2010 Honda Fit with no cruise control, variable wipers, or lumbar support rather than a loaded 2006 Honda Odyssey that was less than half the price.

MustachioedPistachio

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2017, 04:47:03 PM »
Here in Memphis, it get's pretty toasty during the summer. I typically start the summer with the thermostat set to cool at 76 degrees, and bump it up 1 degree each week. After biking around in 100 degree, 100% humidity weather, 82 feels like a meat locker ha.

On the rare occasions when I do drive my black car (aka, oven), I don't use the A/C and keep the windows up. On the return trip I'll enjoy the fresh breeze :)

I need to experience more "cold" voluntary discomfort!

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »
Parenting.

Well said - it's funny how a one word post made my day!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2017, 05:20:59 PM »
:)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2017, 12:23:52 PM »
I've been experimenting with not turning on the air conditioning in my car.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2017, 07:41:56 AM »
I've been experimenting with not turning on the air conditioning in my car.

I've been doing this too, especially since my AC doesn't work all that well (weak compressor). Got 30.5 mpg this past week from not using AC and hypermiling! EPA estimates 21/28 mpg for my car, and it wasn't all highway driving either. 45-55mph roads mainly with turns or stop lights every 5 miles or so.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2017, 07:25:58 AM »
Marielle-
I see you're also in NC. I think the summer is finally going to turn cooler here, which will make these no-AC drives become even more achievable.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2017, 09:24:47 AM »
Marielle-
I see you're also in NC. I think the summer is finally going to turn cooler here, which will make these no-AC drives become even more achievable.

Thankfully! I also moved to a 2300 sqft modular house for the summer, and the last electric bill was $176! I pay half but it's still insane. I don't mind too much because the rent is only $350, but still. At my 810 sqft apartment it was $55 in June, and that's without trying to be sparing with it.

It would be a lot less if my roommate/landlord didn't use the AC so much, especially during renovations and moving when people were going in and out and leaving doors open a lot. He blamed the higher usage on my cooking too (which is only one day a week btw). He was gone this past week and I barely used the AC so hopefully the next bill isn't so bad.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2017, 06:22:11 AM »
It was fun to read everyone's voluntary discomfort.

We recently went without  turning on the heat for almost 1/2 the month of November. We live in New Hampshire and many nights, the outside temperature was well below freezing. This got me into a mode of challenging my comfort levels and examining things in my life I think I need vs want. My next challenge is to limit smartphone and at home computer use to less than 1/2 hour per day.

Here's the post:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/when-do-you-turn-on-your-heat/

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2017, 06:56:02 AM »
Last time I posted was about not using the AC in my car, now it's cold and I don't think I'll be fixing the heat in my car again. I survived last winter without it, no real issues other than slight annoyance in defrosting the windows. I suspect it's the heater core so I just haven't bothered. If I lived further north, it'd be a different story I think.

Currently a day and a half into a 3-4 day fast.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2017, 02:35:12 PM »
I've been sleeping on the floor since mid-October, when my dad decided he wanted to see if my mattress fixed his bad back, and I decided I didn't want me or my parents to spend money on a new mattress (I'm mid-twenties and live with my parents to save on rent money) for no reason. I'd already been thinking about trying it after reading a few articles on floor sleeping earlier in the year. It's actually working pretty well. My setup is just my relatively thin camping mat (the carpet texture was a bit scratchy to sleep on it directly), plus my duvet and pillow. I'm not planning to switch back in the immediate future.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2017, 11:41:27 AM »
dude, you people are animals, way to go!

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2017, 12:09:14 PM »
I've been sleeping on the floor since mid-October, when my dad decided he wanted to see if my mattress fixed his bad back, and I decided I didn't want me or my parents to spend money on a new mattress (I'm mid-twenties and live with my parents to save on rent money) for no reason. I'd already been thinking about trying it after reading a few articles on floor sleeping earlier in the year. It's actually working pretty well. My setup is just my relatively thin camping mat (the carpet texture was a bit scratchy to sleep on it directly), plus my duvet and pillow. I'm not planning to switch back in the immediate future.

After coming home from a 5.5 month hiking trip, I just wanted to sleep on the floor. Eventually caved and bought a very very firm mattress.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2017, 12:18:09 PM »
I've slept on the floor more than on any other surface...but for the first time in my life am experiencing condensation with it! So, a light warning. I'm buying Hypervent to go between the floor and my underblanket.

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2017, 06:53:32 AM »
I was going to comment about how I've been biking to work this week in 20 degree weather while it's still dark outside but after reading through some of the other posts I'm not sure I belong here. You are all awesome!!!!

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2018, 02:19:47 PM »
I was going to comment about how I've been biking to work this week in 20 degree weather while it's still dark outside but after reading through some of the other posts I'm not sure I belong here. You are all awesome!!!!

Hey, biking to work below freezing (assuming you mean 20F? I converted it and Google tells me that's, like, -6 or -7 C) definitely counts as voluntary discomfort.

Now that I'm used to sleeping on the floor, I just need to get round to selling my bedframe. Condensation, bugs, or cold could definitely be an issue depending on your location and house, but luckily aren't with mine...

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2018, 02:45:59 PM »
All of these things have been growing experiences and/or I remember fondly looking back:
-Hiking all day without food, low on water. Basically running on empty and miles away from civilization--but I made it back! It's amazing how much farther your body can take you when necessary.
-One of the marathons I did I hadn't properly trained for, but I did it anyway. I had NOTHING left about 15 miles in, as in, my body was basically refusing to move another muscle. But you know what, through sheer force of will I finished anyway. And I even sprinted across the finish line. I think back on this a lot when I'm feeling lazy or like I can't do something. If I can do that I can do ANYTHING.
-Camping by myself in 30 degree temperatures. Made heat seem like a luxury afterwards!
-Biking home form work in 90+ degree weather when I was exhausted and hadn't had enough to eat. I didn't really want to bike, but I made myself do it anyway. It's 20 hilly miles, and it was during fire season when I could smell the smoke. I felt amazing after I made it home that night.

Happens somewhat frequently:
-When I don't have a lot of food in the house or I'm out and don't want to pay for food, just going without. It feels good knowing you aren't so dependent on needing to eat every few hours. And it makes your next meal taste much better!
-Eating super basic, no-frills meals often makes the fancier meals taste even better and be more memorable.
-Keep the heat on low
-Exercise even when I'm really sick or hungry, low on energy, etc.
-Getting massively lost while hiking/traveling around, because i refuse to pay for cell service overseas. But it makes it more of an adventure! I can barely remember the times we easily made it where we were trying to go, but the times I got super lost are very memorable.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2018, 10:58:12 PM »
-Solo wilderness camping when I was a young woman, just to prove to myself that I could (pre cell-phone days so my friends/co-workers didn't love this plan)

-Doing house-cleaning for rent in a very expensive resort town (this only lasted short term since the people I was cleaning for were a bit dysfunctional)

-Sleeping on the ground/thin sleeping pad.. for years I didn't want to buy furniture and enjoyed the simplicity aspect of minimal objects in a place. My current SO changed all that (he did NOT understand my desire to not own a bed). Ha.

-No medication when I used to suffer from extreme cramps (this has changed slightly, but when younger I felt it was important to feel the discomfort of bodily pain, in order not to just 'move through your day' like every other day..it was an honoring system for me)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2018, 08:20:49 AM »
-Exercise even when I'm really sick

This is something that I've done many times in the past (competitive wrestling/Jiu-Jitsu/Judo/boxing), but have stopped completely.  Exercising when you're really sick (not just a runny nose) is a bad idea.  It will extend the length of your illness, you'll probably spread your illness to others, and you typically won't get as good a workout anyway.  Rest, feel better, and then build up to setting your PRs again.  Significant detraining doesn't happen for more than a week so there's nothing to be concerned about.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2018, 09:57:51 AM »
-Exercise even when I'm really sick

This is something that I've done many times in the past (competitive wrestling/Jiu-Jitsu/Judo/boxing), but have stopped completely.  Exercising when you're really sick (not just a runny nose) is a bad idea.  It will extend the length of your illness, you'll probably spread your illness to others, and you typically won't get as good a workout anyway.  Rest, feel better, and then build up to setting your PRs again.  Significant detraining doesn't happen for more than a week so there's nothing to be concerned about.

My rule of thumb:
  • Sick from the neck up? (runny nose, sore throat):  Exercise
  • Sick below the neck? (chest/respiratory): Rest

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2018, 01:35:48 PM »
Riding home on my bike in the rain? People here sure look at me oddly when that happens b/c hardly anyone rides a bike anywhere in the first place. I need to upgrade my rain gear...

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2018, 04:07:52 PM »
Colonoscopy Prep

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2018, 12:43:14 AM »
Colonoscopy Prep

Colonoscopy prep was kind of horrific but I also felt absolutely amazing - fuller of energy and life than I had felt in years. It's when I first really clocked that I must have a food intolerance once the offending substances were, er, all cleared out. Turned out to be onion and garlic which are in basically every meal ever, so no wonder I felt like crap every day.

theSlowTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »
Just wanted to say I can understand your pain! My wife has a garlic allergy. On the bright side I have perfected home made garlic free pizza :)

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2018, 10:41:57 AM »
The original monk trifecta:

- Diet to low body fat levels
- Abstain from sex/orgasm
- Physical labor
- bonus: Cold

sallysue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2019, 04:57:18 PM »
Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have to admit that I've been a big wuss with regard to practically everything mentioned! Worse, without realizing it, little by little I was trying to make my life easier and easier. This thread has helped me changed my attitude, and now I plan to think about the first small steps I can take to toughening up. Thanks, all!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »
I'm really excited about an approaching chance to upshift my Mustachian cred a bunch (currently only half-ass, I am not bad-ass like so many here): will have my car paid off in just two more months, and I plan for that to be the last time I'm making payments toward a car. Ever.

I drive a fairly responsible 10-year told Toyota Camry, so there is ample room to upgrade to a newer car I can pay cash for.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2019, 01:17:53 PM »
24 km to work this morning.  -7 and windy.  Fuck yeah I'm biking to work!  Think of all the gas I'd be wasting heating up my car . . .

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!