Author Topic: The Principle of Constant Optimization: What's Your Myers-Briggs?  (Read 179734 times)

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
Re: The Principle of Constant Optimization: What's Your Myers-Briggs?
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2013, 04:57:50 PM »
Carrie - Yep, for whatever reason, there are lots of us female INTJs here. Welcome!

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2013, 05:02:09 PM »
It should be "Optimism" not "Optimization." That kind of annoys the grammar Nazi in me.

I'm ENTP, by the way. :)

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2013, 05:12:06 PM »
It should be "Optimism" not "Optimization." That kind of annoys the grammar Nazi in me.

I'm ENTP, by the way. :)
Welcome fellow Grammar Nazi! MMM's blog post was about constant "Optimization": http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/05/15/the-principle-of-constant-optimization/

(And I love me my "Optimism" as well. ; )

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2013, 05:20:46 PM »

Pew pew! Pewpewpew!

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2013, 06:36:22 PM »
Holy cow, so many INTJ's!

I'm an INFJ, nearly 100% N, F, and J, but just barely more of an I than an E. I feel like such a minority...

We can be minorities together! :) I've tested both INFJ and INFP. For me the marginal preference (obviously) is P/J. I'm also not strongly introverted, though that preference is apparently more distinct than the P/J one.

I'm surrounded by INTJ's because I work in a law firm. We all did the M-B test and probably 40%-45% of the lawyers were some form or other of NT!

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »

Pew pew! Pewpewpew!
I grew up in OH. Want to be adopted? ; )

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2013, 07:24:03 PM »

I don't even no how to answer that. Can I keep my own parents?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2013, 10:19:40 PM »

I don't even no how to answer that. Can I keep my own parents?

Given that this is probably the first grammar error I've seen you make, I think Freud may have answered for you.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2013, 05:36:41 AM »
arebelspy: I, too, was amused by "I don't even.... NO!!"

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2013, 06:30:19 AM »
It's certainly not the first. Maybe I'll have to pepper them in from now on. Love your Freudian slip.

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2013, 04:07:03 PM »
INFJ here.  For all you skeptics (I'd bet my retirement you are NTs), the MBT types are spot on accurate to human temperament, but problems arise with testing.  Yes, people test inaccurately.  I, for example tested 2x, over the course of 8 years, as an INTJ.  That inaccurate result stemmed from my desire to be more of a thinker (T) than a feeler (F) as well as adaptive behavior. 

Until about 3 years ago, I thought MBT was marginally helpful.  I read the description of INTJ and INFJ and didn't feel I had been pegged or truly identified.  Then, a friend of mine, a fellow INFJ, read a book and met with a coach/counselor who identified her as an INFJ even though she'd tested as an ISTJ. Suddenly, his description of the INFJ and help in identifying her as such, opened the floodgates for her to understand herself.  She, in turn, helped me understand my temperament and it has changed my life dramatically.

Not all types struggle with their temperament (most sensors (S)) are perfectly content and are not in a search for meaning or categorization.  Many N's are curious.  Almost all NFs have a great need for self understanding and self actualization.

It is true that N's are in the minority in the general population and appear to be in the majority on the MMM forums.  That doesn't surprise me at all.  Ns love the world of ideas and concepts.   

avonlea

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2013, 04:53:10 PM »
INFJ/ISFJ 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:03:24 AM by avonlea »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2013, 05:54:39 PM »
INFJ here.  For all you skeptics (I'd bet my retirement you are NTs), the MBT types are spot on accurate to human temperament, but problems arise with testing.  Yes, people test inaccurately.  I, for example tested 2x, over the course of 8 years, as an INTJ.  That inaccurate result stemmed from my desire to be more of a thinker (T) than a feeler (F) as well as adaptive behavior. 

Hey now, this INTJ fully appreciates the value in this sort of thing :) A lot of disagreement in my life is a result of S vs N...

You are right, though about testing - I think a lot of people test based on what they want to do or are expected to do rather than what they actually are inclined to do.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2013, 06:12:44 PM »
the MBT types are spot on accurate to human temperament, but problems arise with testing.
1) How do you figure they're spot-on accurate?
2) If they types are spot-on accurate but can't accurately categorize people when they actually need to be applied to them, doesn't that make them not spot-on accurate?

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »
the MBT types are spot on accurate to human temperament, but problems arise with testing.
2) If they types are spot-on accurate but can't accurately categorize people when they actually need to be applied to them, doesn't that make them not spot-on accurate?

Hi grantmemyname, I "figure" they are spot on accurate because since I've gotten proper testing and information I've become a student of the subject and have been amazed by the modern research that supports it as well as its' historical roots.  If you'd like to do some reading on the topic, it's quite fascinating to discover the recognition of four main temperament types stretches back to Greek philosophers and even references in the Bible.  The idea of temperament was well accepted until Freud came along.  Reading Jung also helps see the progression that has become the MBT.  I'd also recommend reading Keirsey, Montgomery and Ray Lincoln for further confirmation of the value and accuracy of this system of identifying temperament.

What I said was that the four main temperaments (SJ, SP, NT, NF) and the sixteen types that are subsets of the types as identified are spot on accurate.  The implementation of identifying people with their types is flawed.  I agree with the idea that that is a problem and needs to be dealt with to be more useful to those seeking to understand themselves and others.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »

Hi grantmemyname, I "figure" they are spot on accurate because since I've gotten proper testing and information I've become a student of the subject and have been amazed by the modern research that supports it as well as its' historical roots.  If you'd like to do some reading on the topic, it's quite fascinating to discover the recognition of four main temperament types stretches back to Greek philosophers and even references in the Bible.  The idea of temperament was well accepted until Freud came along.  Reading Jung also helps see the progression that has become the MBT.  I'd also recommend reading Keirsey, Montgomery and Ray Lincoln for further confirmation of the value and accuracy of this system of identifying temperament.

What I said was that the four main temperaments (SJ, SP, NT, NF) and the sixteen types that are subsets of the types as identified are spot on accurate.  The implementation of identifying people with their types is flawed.  I agree with the idea that that is a problem and needs to be dealt with to be more useful to those seeking to understand themselves and others.

Astrology also has very historical roots dating back many millennia.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2013, 01:51:36 PM »

Same with alchemy. And just so I'm clear it's not that putting people into types is flawed, it's how we put them into types which is flawed?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2013, 07:38:07 PM »
That's what I was getting at, I guess. If astrology perfectly describes human behavior when they're not unduly influenced by thetans, and they're often unduly influenced by thetans, astrology isn't really useful.

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »

Same with alchemy. And just so I'm clear it's not that putting people into types is flawed, it's how we put them into types which is flawed?

Not sure it's wise to get into the snarky comments here, but I'll try one more time.  My reason for pointing out the historical roots of temperament recognition is that the fact that there are distinct types of people that fit into similar patterns is something that has been recognized by common people,philosophers and writers historically.  Getting at the patterns and similarities common in the four main temperaments is useful for people that want to understand others.  So, to respond to your dismissive response, I'll say that understanding temperament and type is not putting people into types, it's recognizing patterns of behavior, language and preferences common to the temperament and using that as a tool to understand them.  Not everyone is interested in doing that, but I would hope you'd be willing to concede that you recognize that there are certain general similarities (not 100%, but quite notable in number) in people who gravitate to certain occupations or interests. 

Let's use the recent MMM post about who his readers are by the work they do as a stepping off point for discussion.  MM wrote that a large number of respondents appear to be engineers & specifically software engineers.  Have you ever noticed a general pattern in the interests and preferences in engineers in general?  How about social workers?  Do you generally think most engineers and most social workers have some pretty sharp differences in ways of looking at life in their thought processes?  Do you think there might be something very revealing about the fact that a huge majority of MMM readers who responded identified themselves as Intuitives (either NT or NF)? 

I may not have been clear, but I did not mean to say that there is no way to correctly identify people, because there is a good way.  Just that the tests that are out there, when used without a trained administrator that can follow up with confirmation questions about each letter (I or E, N or S, T or F, and J or P) and have the subject respond is a great way to get accurate results but is very rarely used. 

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2013, 01:30:26 AM »
I did this recently during a staff development at work.  I was ISF...J?  I think that was it.  I was in a group of fellow teachers and they were all E-somethings, save for me and one other, which I found amusing.  We were supposed to partner up with someone with our same letter and read the descriptions.  My partner and I sat there quietly reading while everyone else read it out loud with their partner and discussed every freaking sentence.  Damn noisy group of Es!  My partner and I just smiled at each other once in a while.  Haha.

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2013, 01:53:17 AM »
I did this recently during a staff development at work.  I was ISF...J?  I think that was it.  I was in a group of fellow teachers and they were all E-somethings, save for me and one other, which I found amusing.  We were supposed to partner up with someone with our same letter and read the descriptions.  My partner and I sat there quietly reading while everyone else read it out loud with their partner and discussed every freaking sentence.  Damn noisy group of Es!  My partner and I just smiled at each other once in a while.  Haha.

Love that story, Freckles!  The similarities you discover of others similar to yourself can sometimes be great bonding moments.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've gotten really into studying the MBT over the last few years.  I have taken 3 weekend training classes on it.  The fun, revealing thing about each of the three groups at each training class was that ALL of the participants were of two types only:  INFJ (my temperament) and ENFJ.  NFs are a VERY small percentage of the overall population but comprised 100% of these classes. 

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2013, 03:05:26 AM »
I had never heard of this test, but I took it anyway. This is what came up:

INTJ
Introvert(100%)  iNtuitive(38%)  Thinking(62%)  Judging(67%)

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (100%)
    You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (38%)
    You have distinctive preference of Thinking over Feeling (62%)
    You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

100% introvert! I already knew I'm an introvert but 100%? Wow!

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2013, 07:43:03 AM »
I had never heard of this test, but I took it anyway. This is what came up:

INTJ
Introvert(100%)  iNtuitive(38%)  Thinking(62%)  Judging(67%)

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (100%)
    You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (38%)
    You have distinctive preference of Thinking over Feeling (62%)
    You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

100% introvert! I already knew I'm an introvert but 100%? Wow!

100% is really strong.  I think you'll find quite a number of INTJs on this forum.  INTJ aka the MasterMind is a very rare type in the general population.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2013, 08:45:13 AM »
Not sure it's wise to get into the snarky comments here, but I'll try one more time.  My reason for pointing out the historical roots of temperament recognition is that the fact that there are distinct types of people that fit into similar patterns is something that has been recognized by common people,philosophers and writers historically.  Getting at the patterns and similarities common in the four main temperaments is useful for people that want to understand others.  So, to respond to your dismissive response, I'll say that understanding temperament and type is not putting people into types, it's recognizing patterns of behavior, language and preferences common to the temperament and using that as a tool to understand them.  Not everyone is interested in doing that, but I would hope you'd be willing to concede that you recognize that there are certain general similarities (not 100%, but quite notable in number) in people who gravitate to certain occupations or interests. 

The response was not dismissive.

The point of bringing up astrology, or alchemy, is that plenty of fine minds in the past thought they had merit as well.  Read whatever "snark" you want into that, but none is intended.  It's just pointing out that your "historical" context of it being around for thousands of years doesn't hold much weight.

Clearly you are quite a fanatic/believer/whatever you want to call it about this topic, having done three weekend trainings on it, but you just may need to accept that others here may not put as much stock in it telling as much insight about a particular individual as you do.  It has nothing to do with not being "interested in doing that," but in believing that this tool isn't the be-all end-all that some claim.

Cool?  :)

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2013, 10:03:21 AM »

Let's use the recent MMM post about who his readers are by the work they do as a stepping off point for discussion.  MM wrote that a large number of respondents appear to be engineers & specifically software engineers.  Have you ever noticed a general pattern in the interests and preferences in engineers in general?  How about social workers?  Do you generally think most engineers and most social workers have some pretty sharp differences in ways of looking at life in their thought processes?  Do you think there might be something very revealing about the fact that a huge majority of MMM readers who responded identified themselves as Intuitives (either NT or NF)? 

I may not have been clear, but I did not mean to say that there is no way to correctly identify people, because there is a good way.  Just that the tests that are out there, when used without a trained administrator that can follow up with confirmation questions about each letter (I or E, N or S, T or F, and J or P) and have the subject respond is a great way to get accurate results but is very rarely used.

I'm just a skeptic. You may be able to look at occupations and see the individuals in them as gravitating towards those occupations, while I may look at those people and see people shaped somewhat by their environment, and the truth lying somewhere between those. Regardless of where that truth lies, questioning "established" or historically accurate assumptions, conclusions, and methods is the hallmark of progress. I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just approaching it from a different perspective, you could very well be right and we're all hardwired to be 1 of 16 categories I just don't see any evidence of that regardless of historical agreement from the Bible, the Greeks, and modern philosophers. Just because I disagree doesn't mean I'm dismissing it.

There is an inherent fuzziness to these sorts of tests because they are psychologically based which carries western culture biases. Assuming that these are universal since they are backed up by western psychologists, western history, and frankly western pattern recognition is a huge assumption I'm uncomfortable making. It's cool that you're comfortable with it. It's also cool that I'm not. :)

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2013, 10:48:49 AM »
matchewed - Good points. One additional point of information: Jung, upon whose concepts the MBTI was based, did not believe that humans emerge with hard-wired temperaments that never change. Indeed, he believe that as people mature, they learn more about and come to appreciate the strengths of temperaments they may not have had when younger.

I agree that this is a western-based outlook and that to call it universal would be silly. I'm sure there is a (pick any non-western culture) personality assessment that that culture finds useful and that would be baffling to me.

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »

The response was not dismissive.

The point of bringing up astrology, or alchemy, is that plenty of fine minds in the past thought they had merit as well.  Read whatever "snark" you want into that, but none is intended.  It's just pointing out that your "historical" context of it being around for thousands of years doesn't hold much weight.

Clearly you are quite a fanatic/believer/whatever you want to call it about this topic, having done three weekend trainings on it, but you just may need to accept that others here may not put as much stock in it telling as much insight about a particular individual as you do.  It has nothing to do with not being "interested in doing that," but in believing that this tool isn't the be-all end-all that some claim.

Cool?  :)
Arebelspy,
 Cool.:)  I admit you accurately pegged me as a huge believer in the MBT and I read snark into your response where there wasn't any.  Sorry for that.  I'll stop evangelizing about this topic for now. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2013, 05:16:32 PM »
No worries.  It's probably just my IESNTFPJ part coming out.  ;)

Thanks for understanding our (skeptical) position on it, and I can see what would make someone inclined towards it.  I'm betting you have a lot of people with strong personalities in your life.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »

Love that story, Freckles!  The similarities you discover of others similar to yourself can sometimes be great bonding moments.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've gotten really into studying the MBT over the last few years.  I have taken 3 weekend training classes on it.  The fun, revealing thing about each of the three groups at each training class was that ALL of the participants were of two types only:  INFJ (my temperament) and ENFJ.  NFs are a VERY small percentage of the overall population but comprised 100% of these classes.

Yeah, I immediately felt understood by her and that's a nice feeling.  And I think I probably feel like I know her better than my other co-workers as she's new this school year, and until this activity, I really didn't know her at all.  So that's cool.  Now I know who I want to team up with when we have to work together on things.  :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2013, 05:10:42 AM »
Another female INTJ here.

We do the Myers-Briggs at team events at work all the time... no one believes me that I'm INTJ because I talk a lot and don't act like their stereotyped idea of an introvert.

Little do they know that I come home exhausted from having to be around people all day, and hang out with my spreadsheets, books, and ISFJ partner.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »
I took the test and I'm a lawful good ranger with a +2 AC bonus.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »
Rangers can be any good class in AD&D 2nd, which is the best D&D.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2013, 03:04:06 PM »
I'm possibly a younger 'un then you are, but we got all our D&D rulebooks from Half Price Books so we played a generation old, and then never upgraded even as new sets came out. Honestly, even if I started a campaign today I'd probably have it be AD&D 2nd.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2013, 10:53:02 AM »
I'm possibly a younger 'un then you are, but we got all our D&D rulebooks from Half Price Books so we played a generation old, and then never upgraded even as new sets came out. Honestly, even if I started a campaign today I'd probably have it be AD&D 2nd.

"Why , back in my day...."

Lol. I used to play, haven't picked up an AD&D book in years, but my kids are almost old enough to learn how to play... I still have my 3rd edition Shadowrun rulebook.

And yeah, I was a 2nd Ed. AD&D guy.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2013, 05:34:19 PM »
So, I already know I'm an introvert, because at gatherings I head off to a quiet spot for a few minutes at select intervals, and people just wear me out socially and at work. I took the test, and not sure how accurate, but here goes:
Introvert(78%)  Sensing(12%)  Thinking(25%)  Judging(89%)
You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)
You have slight preference of Sensing over Intuition (12%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
You have strong preference of Judging over Perceiving (89%)

The strong I and J are not a surprise. I'm currently learning how to do the touchy-feely stuff, so I reckon if you'd asked me a year ago, I would have been stronger T... and I think for this test, 12%S over N is probably a bit meh, but I love the idea of being an "Inspector". Heh. (also, Female for records :) )

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2013, 08:49:31 AM »
This makes the MB thing so much more fun.

Star Wars Myers-Briggs

;)

avonlea

« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2013, 09:01:40 AM »
This makes the MB thing so much more fun.

Star Wars Myers-Briggs

;)

Haha!  That's great.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2013, 02:59:58 PM »
I think last time I took it I was an ESFJ. The description definitely fits. I guess I'm really common in the "real world" but kind of a weirdo in MMM terms?

I could see how my type might not be as well suited to the Mustachian lifestyle for two reasons: wanting to spend money going out to bars and restaurants with my friends all the time, and wanting to spend money to make other people happy. These are both huge weak spots for me :( But at least I know what to focus on!

Also I love the Star Wars thing, just saw that the other day :)

lovesthesea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2013, 01:14:57 PM »
The original post asked if there might be something that INTJs are missing because of personality type.  I am almost the opposite of INTJ (ENFP), so I wanted to comment on this because there are some things that stand out to me as I read posts on sites like this.  I think that sometimes INTJs can lose the forest for the trees, so to speak, because of a need to adhere to the "right way" to do things, or follow "the plan" that they've laid out.  (By the way, I have INTJs in my family and my husband is INFJ.)  For instance, I read on here a post from a woman who recently became a millionaire and mentioned that she'd bought new cars and kept them well and for a long time.  Somebody said something like, "Hey, new car buying is not MMM," completely missing the point that the woman said she'd just reached millionaire status.  Who cares if she didn't get there completely MMM style??  What she did obviously worked.  That's what I mean about the forest for the trees.  I think that INTJs might miss opportunities that come from being open to a diversity of ways of doing things, and also from networking with real people.  Their strength seems to be structure, order, routine, optimization, planning.  I think that the liability is that sometimes it can be a little Rain Man-esque when there's a need to switch things mid-stream, invent a new plan on the fly, etc. 

I also wanted to comment on some of the posts that talk about how many INTJs are on here because it's a good fit (can be alone with your computer, for example, and not in a crowd).  I am guessing that there are a lot of personality types that come and go on sites like this, so these people likely aren't voting on this because they've already gleaned what they needed and are now down at the coffee shop talking about it with their investor friends.  If you are a Perceiver, you tend to like change and diversity, so to come and go makes sense.  I know that I get inspired on sites like this, but then start thinking about creating a little monthly group in my community where we can get together and trade ideas and inspirations in person.  My guess is that INTJs use a forum like this as a main source of their inspiration routine.  Thus, it makes sense that many personality types are saving and building their wealth in MMM ways, but just not talking about it online.  To come and go has its liability also, however, because there are things that one probably gets from hanging out here for a long time and regularly.  Thank goodness for archives :)   
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:00:55 PM by lovesthesea »

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2013, 03:57:30 PM »
The ENFP alliance will die. ... "Good, I can feel your anger. I am defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!"

lovesthesea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2013, 11:53:03 PM »
"I will not fight you father."

TinyLightsBelow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »
INFP here! (I sometimes test into INFJ, but I am functionally a lot more like an INFP - I enjoy structure but have trouble maintaining it.) My partner is an INTP and he has difficulty maintaining Mustachianism despite understanding the advantages of the ideology.

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2013, 03:10:25 PM »
An ENTP that's actually learned to admit when she's wrong...if you show me the evidence. :-P

Charlotte

« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2013, 05:38:51 AM »
Another female INTJ here.

We do the Myers-Briggs at team events at work all the time... no one believes me that I'm INTJ because I talk a lot and don't act like their stereotyped idea of an introvert.

Little do they know that I come home exhausted from having to be around people all day, and hang out with my spreadsheets, books, and ISFJ partner.

INTJ (female) also married to an ISFJ. Curiouser and curiouser....

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »
INFP here! (I sometimes test into INFJ, but I am functionally a lot more like an INFP - I enjoy structure but have trouble maintaining it.)

That's me exactly, too! I've tested as both too, but usually INFP. We're like TWINS!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2013, 09:31:16 AM »
ENTP / ENTJ

Strong NT all my life
As a kid, was more middling on E/I, turned stronger E as an adult
Borderline P/J through my life

Assessments on paper or computer, and one "professionally" scored in 2010

More specifically from the 2010 assessment:
Extrovert: Very strong enthusiastic, strong initiating, expressive, gregarious, less strong active (lean a bit reflective)
Intuition: Very strong theoretical, a bit less so strong abstract, conceptual, original, lean (mid-zone) sensing for realistic over imaginative
Thinking: Very strong logical reasonable, strong critical, questioning, less strong tough
Perceiving: Strong pressure prompted, lean (mid-zone) causal, emergent, borderline judging/perceiving on planful v. open-ended and methodical v. emergent.  I vaguely think the interpreted said this is probably situational.

Apparently ENTPs are intuition first, thinking next, feeling, then sensing least

Big Boots Buddha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2014, 09:28:28 PM »
ISTJ
Introvert(67%)  Sensing(12%)  Thinking(25%)  Judging(22%)
•You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
•You have slight preference of Sensing over Intuition (12%)
•You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
•You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

I feel like the Sensing and Intuition could be a coin flip. Really, the only questions I felt an obvious answer to were: Are you an introvert or extrovert. The rest aren't so easily chosen, at least for me.

tomq04

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
ENFP
http://www.keirsey.com/4temps/champion.asp

This is a perfect description of me, I know very few others that think like me.  Champions seem to be good sales people, the strange part is our distinct care about the problem/person we are selling to, so most clients are thrilled to work with me.

I've been absolutely fascinated with this stuff the past few months.

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2014, 07:39:16 AM »

Until about 3 years ago, I thought MBT was marginally helpful.  I read the description of INTJ and INFJ and didn't feel I had been pegged or truly identified.  Then, a friend of mine, a fellow INFJ, read a book and met with a coach/counselor who identified her as an INFJ even though she'd tested as an ISTJ. Suddenly, his description of the INFJ and help in identifying her as such, opened the floodgates for her to understand herself.  She, in turn, helped me understand my temperament and it has changed my life dramatically.

Not all types struggle with their temperament (most sensors (S)) are perfectly content and are not in a search for meaning or categorization.  Many N's are curious.  Almost all NFs have a great need for self understanding and self actualization.

It is true that N's are in the minority in the general population and appear to be in the majority on the MMM forums.  That doesn't surprise me at all.  Ns love the world of ideas and concepts.

I just discovered this thread and I've been really enjoying the discussion.  ENFJ here: Extravert(1%)  iNtuitive(75%)  Feeling(25%)  Judging(56%)

Looks like N is my strongest tendency hence the interest in MMM/FIRE etc.  I'm not at all surprised to see so many other N's on here as well. 

I did this test a few years ago as a team building exercise at work and my results were very similar.  When I read the description I feel like it describes me pretty well albeit without a strong preference towards either I or E.  Carrie your remark about NF's looking for self understanding and self actualization hit home as well.  I think these reflective activities can really provide a lot of value for someone interested in personal growth.  Great thread!

Deev

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2014, 10:19:59 AM »
I test somewhere between INTJ and INTP.

I am most definitely INTP, though. I fit the whole "absent-minded professor" stereotype to a tee.