Author Topic: Staying Fit With No Gym in Sight  (Read 15828 times)

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
Staying Fit With No Gym in Sight
« on: December 13, 2016, 03:57:33 PM »
Just saw it.  Loved it.  Busted out some push-ups on the office floor! 

We don't need no stinking badges gymnasiums!

moof

• Pencil Stache
Re: Staying Fit With No Gym in Sight
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »
So far in 2016 I've moved to 90% bike commuting (~70-80 miles a week), and a month ago I kicked my 2 can a day soda habit.  Then I read this, and felt gut punched.  I fit the bill as a mostly cardio guy that apparently should be ashamed of myself.

Gonna re-evaluate and work on getting more weights in.  I have a dozen year old Bowflex downstairs that needs a lot more use.  I am not a fan of squats as MMM prescribes rather forcefully thanks to two iffy knees that hate deep knee bends, and I have to watch my cranky shoulder.  My hair hurts too <sarcasm>.

As they say:  Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:44:50 PM by moof »

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 08:31:17 PM »
It's good to have a reminder that exercise is free - it's the gyms/memberships/coaches that aren't. Sometimes it's worth it (a coach to get you started may save you a lot of pain later on, and a bike to cut out the car commute is money well spent) but the quality difference between $ and $$$ is often minimal in the areas that actually matter.

Handstands are my favorite thing lately. They're great to get blood flowing, plus mine are starting to look pretty! I've never had a good ground skill before, so it's really great to have something I don't need a lot (or any!) equipment to do.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 04:24:21 AM »
Very timely article as I have just started doing push ups – again. I am 42 as well and really should hang my head in shame! When younger I used to be pretty fit, doing regular exercises, loving it. Then office life begun and each year I got fatter and more out of shape, sigh; it was one of the aspects of the MMM approach that spoke to me. I have always been frugal and pretty good at investments. That part I got naturally. But I knew it wasn’t enough. For me, the strong selling point of MMM is that he very precisely put into writing why it was not enough and to be truly happy I should work on my health (and some aspects of my personality as well).

I now need to lose 30kg of fat and build up at least 5kg of muscle. Yes, I can build in more exercise in my day to day activities but at the moment I am so out of shape I really need to put in some hard work to rectify 15 years of neglect. Knowing myself I am going to need some external discipline and now I am doubting between paying for 1 year gym membership (there is a cheap one about 8 km from my home) or perhaps join the nerd fitness community (https://www.nerdfitness.com/)

The gym:
Positive points:
- pretty cheap about 180 euro for a year,
- I know one guy who goes there and apparently it is a friendly bunch of guys over there, being new to the area I could use some local friends,
- I can get a personalized regime and instructions on the proper technique (it has been over 15 years since I did any decent exercises)
Negative:
-   I need to go there: losing more time
-   It is still 180 euro for only one year
-   Public: you know the pathetic, out of shape fat guy sweating very heavy at the gym? Yeah, I would be that guy (cue the Shame, shame scene of 
        Game of Thrones)
-   Money wise I would only want to do it for one year to get rid of most of the fat and get in a habit of doing exercises, it also means that then I would
        need to build a new routine of doing exercises at home after the one year (I am afraid that this will not happen, and I will quickly lose all the progress
        I made in the gym)
Nerd fitness
Positive points:
-   Life time subscription for the same amount
-   at home so no time loss
-   private, nobody will see me
-   start building a routine I could keep for the rest of my life
Negative:
-will an on line community work as good as real life people?
-is it actually worth the money? Anybody who has experience with it or is a member of it?

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 10:50:27 AM »
The gym:
Positive points:
- I know one guy who goes there and apparently it is a friendly bunch of guys over there, being new to the area I could use some local friends

I think you touched on an important point there, that sometimes there can be quite the community at various gyms or exercise clubs. I will be the first to admit however that I tend to keep to myself while at the gym, because as a cubicle slave the gym takes up what precious little time I have left in my day so I want to get in and out as quickly as possible. In that way it very much feels like a chore. Now, if I were retired and was able to casually exercise with no time constraints and there were other pleasant people around doing the same thing, I can see how that might be fun.

I think MMM made a very important point that people often overlook - exercise is very much free. But also, folks shouldn't feel bad about paying money to exercise if they are truly enjoying themselves. You just don't get the same community experience at home as you do while around other people.

That said though, exercising with friends at home can be fun and free. I used to get together with a group of friends to practice yoga, which was kind of hilarious because we were pretty bad at it but we had a good time. I also am in a neighborhood volleyball league that costs $25 for the entire season. Not free, but dirt cheap for ~6 months of play time. Socializing, exercising, and having a few beers on a Friday night. What's not to enjoy? :)

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 10:57:31 AM »
I just saw a video for a total body workout that only takes 16 minutes, and only uses your bodyweight. (I have no affiliation with this site or anyone related to it.) How about starting with something like this? It's very intense, so I figure on just doing what I can out of this video and keeping at it until I can do more and more of it each time.

http://www.healthination.com/kickstart-workouts/kickstart-workout/?utm_source=fbpaid&utm_campaign=generalhealth

There are a whole bunch of other workouts on the same site. Who needs a gym? Just put on your workout clothes, open the computer, and follow along.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 12:08:06 PM »
I ditched the gym membership about 7 years ago. Had a basement full of weights/equipment at my last house. Sold it before we moved. Had only an adjustable bench and 300lb weight set with bar coupled with a pair of Bowflex adjustable dumbbells for a while in the new house. That served me well. I eventually sold those and now only do push-ups, pull-ups and some other body weight exercises.

I enjoy doing exercises at no cost whenever I want. But I really do miss simple bench presses. I don't quite feel the same burn or rush of adrenaline. They opened a new gym a short bike ride from the house. It's only 10 bucks a month. I am considering joining.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 04:01:07 PM »
I think MMM made a very important point that people often overlook - exercise is very much free. But also, folks shouldn't feel bad about paying money to exercise if they are truly enjoying themselves. You just don't get the same community experience at home as you do while around other people.

That said though, exercising with friends at home can be fun and free. I used to get together with a group of friends to practice yoga, which was kind of hilarious because we were pretty bad at it but we had a good time. I also am in a neighborhood volleyball league that costs $25 for the entire season. Not free, but dirt cheap for ~6 months of play time. Socializing, exercising, and having a few beers on a Friday night. What's not to enjoy? :)

$25 is fantastic value for what you're getting.  I really believe that the best exercises are the ones that are fun, just like you describe above.  The social aspect is an important part of overall good health. 

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 01:23:13 AM »
I think you touched on an important point there, that sometimes there can be quite the community at various gyms or exercise clubs. I will be the first to admit however that I tend to keep to myself while at the gym, because as a cubicle slave the gym takes up what precious little time I have left in my day so I want to get in and out as quickly as possible. In that way it very much feels like a chore. Now, if I were retired and was able to casually exercise with no time constraints and there were other pleasant people around doing the same thing, I can see how that might be fun.
it could be a very positive point, on the other hand I am definitely more the nerd type mentally and in general do not have that much in common with the typical gym visitors, hence the appeal of nerd fitness. But that is an on line community and hell, too much of my social life is allready taking place on the internet (with most real life friends living 100 km away). decisions, decisions, decisions ...

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 10:18:25 PM »
it could be a very positive point, on the other hand I am definitely more the nerd type mentally and in general do not have that much in common with the typical gym visitors, hence the appeal of nerd fitness. But that is an on line community and hell, too much of my social life is allready taking place on the internet (with most real life friends living 100 km away). decisions, decisions, decisions ...

Interesting points! I've heard of Nerd Fitness but never really looked into it. Speaking to the overarching idea, I think community is a big part of fitness and habit formation, and online communities are no less real in many ways than in person. But there are always going to be places you fit and places you don't, and you may have to bite the bullet and try them out before figuring out which is which. In the circus world, there are surprisingly many "flavors". I've found acroyoga to be jarring as a community to me, but I love handstand class and partner acrobatics classes and the people who attend them. Climbing and yoga attract some people who I get along with, and some people who I absolutely cannot stand. Even within a certain discipline, a different teacher/environment/regional style can be the difference between me dedicating the next 6 months of my life to a discipline or abandoning it all together. I wish I could say I were more internally driven, but if I don't feel safe and comfortable, I'm not going to want to go or pay money for the privilege.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 10:42:58 PM »
sometimes there can be quite the community at various gyms
Which helps you keep going. Anyone can do it alone, but few actually do. Most of us need the moral support of friends, family, trainer or coach.

You don't need equipment and coaching to exercise, but you do need them to train. The gear is needed for progression - which is the difference between exercise (just moving your body) and training (doing a bit more each time than before). As for coaching, it's like visiting a public library vs going to school. Most of us need some structure - not for our whole lives, but for long enough to build the base.

If you don't fancy a good gym, then I would suggest: get the basics of gear (a barbell and plates and perhaps a rack), get half a dozen of your friends and family together, and get a coach to show you how to use them and give you a plan for them. Work out regularly with those friends. They'll come and go - most don't have the consistency - but others will come. And you'll form a tight little crew cheering each-other on and stopping each-other from bailing on it all.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 09:12:42 PM »
It's good to have a reminder that exercise is free - it's the gyms/memberships/coaches that aren't. Sometimes it's worth it (a coach to get you started may save you a lot of pain later on, and a bike to cut out the car commute is money well spent) but the quality difference between $ and $$$ is often minimal in the areas that actually matter.

Handstands are my favorite thing lately. They're great to get blood flowing, plus mine are starting to look pretty! I've never had a good ground skill before, so it's really great to have something I don't need a lot (or any!) equipment to do.

Yes! I love handstands. I've been working on handstands for about a year now. I can hold them for a few seconds in one spot, but usually have to walk backwards on my hands because my balance isn't great.

I got really into gymnastics/calisthenics/barstars stuff this spring and summer and used outdoor gym/parks. Anywhere I could find a bar I could do pull-ups, basically. My goal was to learn muscle-ups, but once I accomplished that I wanted to learn even more body weight things!

I wrote an article (and shot some videos) on beginner/intermediate strength training exercises that can be done at home for The Advocate last year. The article is geared more toward LGBTQ people but the principles apply to anyone who is looking to get stronger without going to a gym.

http://www.advocate.com/health/2016/4/20/how-fitness-can-help-us-overcome-collective-trauma

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 10:33:32 AM »
I do a lot of home exercise with some inexpensive equipment, pushups, and pullups and suspension training.
For around $50-75 you can get alot of stuff to aid your home gym:
Suspension trainer
Doorway pull-up bar
if you can't do a pullup yet, there are giant rubber bands which can assist you to get to your first pullups. 
Pull-up assist bands

That said, I also belong to a gym, my local climbing gym.  I do bouldering, which is super fun and a nice mix of problem solving and physical workout.  It is also motivating as I want to stay in shape and do the exercises above, in order to help me to climb better.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 11:08:54 AM by CCCA »

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 08:20:14 AM »
I do a lot of home exercise with some inexpensive equipment, pushups, and pullups and suspension training.
For around $50-75 you can get alot of stuff to aid your home gym:
Suspension trainer
Doorway pull-up bar
if you can't do a pullup yet, there are giant rubber bands which can assist you to get to your first pullups. 
Pull-up assist bands

That said, I also belong to a gym, my local climbing gym.  I do bouldering, which is super fun and a nice mix of problem solving and physical workout.  It is also motivating as I want to stay in shape and do the exercises above, in order to help me to climb better.

I love bouldering! I don't do it often though. I prefer bouldering over climbing though. I get a bit timid with those heights so bouldering feels less scary.

annod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 10:56:01 AM »
I don't particularly feel the need to join a gym to work out, but my husband does. He also works at home a lot and we have a small house. He gets cabin fever. We have cut down a lot on eating out lately, so he is home even more.  And if he stays at home by himself too much, he gets depressed. I think sometimes he goes out to a restaurant to eat or to a cafe to work just to get out of the house, and to be around other people. That cost $$ too and not so healthy to eat out...He is thinking about joining a local gym about 1 mile from us as one of the ways to get out of the house. We have an agreement that he would join only if it means further cutting back on restaurants/ cafes outings. I am thinking we may try to join only the winter/spring season and see how it goes.

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 07:28:43 PM »
It was already mentioned in the comments section of the blog, but I'll mention it again here. The philosophy of body weight fitness training dove tails nicely the mustachian lifestyle and there's an active community for this on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/)

They have how-to's on building your own equipment, links to maps to find gyms near you, and can also help you find someone to work out with.

Also relevant, and arguably more important, is caloric intake. Like "Spend less than you bring in", you need to burn more than you eat. If your goal is too lose weight and you can't get enough exercise in, make sure you're eating fewer calories than your body burn in a day. You can get any idea of your basal metabolic rate (the calories your body burns just being alive) with an online calculator.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 08:29:18 AM »
-   Public: you know the pathetic, out of shape fat guy sweating very heavy at the gym? Yeah, I would be that guy (cue the Shame, shame scene of Game of Thrones)

Can I just say STOP IT!  Don't ever talk about yourself like that - you need to respect yourself.  We have several pretty overweight people at our gym (who have been making progress!!), and I think to myself.... you go Girl!!  Knock it out of the park! (I also tell them that)  Even the one that doesn't go super intense, he's still there making the effort, and I think, "good for you!".  You're the only one that's judging you.... no offense, but most people don't really give a shit about you as they're too involved in their own insecurities to notice.

As for gym vs on-line, I'd say commit to doing some form of exercise for 1 month - doesn't matter what it is, just commit to it.  Commit to the habit - realize the high.  If you are as out of shape as you say, you will make good progress in the beginning by just doing the basics - no quick fixes.  Prove to yourself that you are ready to make the commitment, that you are ready to make the sacrifice, and that you're ready to change your lifestyle.  If you can't commit to a month, then you probably won't commit to a gym or on-line either... you need to prove to yourself that you're ready to commit to a lifestyle change.

Also, get involved with healthy social activities - I love to hike - only a pair of shoes/boots required and a water bottle.  You can hike by yourself, or use a Meet-up group.  You can go easy or intense, whatever you want.  It's a great way to just "get out there and move".

Make sure you love whatever form of exercise you choose, or you won't stay with it.  But I guarantee, once you start seeing muscles build, or you feel yourself get stronger, it is very inspiring and you can't help but love it - doesn't seem like a chore, because it becomes part of who you are...an active, healthy person.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 02:18:15 AM »
Can I just say STOP IT!  Don't ever talk about yourself like that - you need to respect yourself.  We have several pretty overweight people at our gym (who have been making progress!!), and I think to myself.... you go Girl!!  Knock it out of the park! (I also tell them that)  Even the one that doesn't go super intense, he's still there making the effort, and I think, "good for you!".  You're the only one that's judging you.... no offense, but most people don't really give a shit about you as they're too involved in their own insecurities to notice.

As for gym vs on-line, I'd say commit to doing some form of exercise for 1 month - doesn't matter what it is, just commit to it.  Commit to the habit - realize the high.  If you are as out of shape as you say, you will make good progress in the beginning by just doing the basics - no quick fixes.  Prove to yourself that you are ready to make the commitment, that you are ready to make the sacrifice, and that you're ready to change your lifestyle.  If you can't commit to a month, then you probably won't commit to a gym or on-line either... you need to prove to yourself that you're ready to commit to a lifestyle change.

Also, get involved with healthy social activities - I love to hike - only a pair of shoes/boots required and a water bottle.  You can hike by yourself, or use a Meet-up group.  You can go easy or intense, whatever you want.  It's a great way to just "get out there and move".

Make sure you love whatever form of exercise you choose, or you won't stay with it.  But I guarantee, once you start seeing muscles build, or you feel yourself get stronger, it is very inspiring and you can't help but love it - doesn't seem like a chore, because it becomes part of who you are...an active, healthy person.

Hello MsSindy, I do respect myself. Pretty happy with the person I am. Just not with the overweight thing … I am a brutally honest guy who has learned to be diplomatic towards other people, but close friends still get my unfiltered opinion when they ask and I am also completely honest towards myself. Being brutally honest actually makes it so I have very few insecurities. I now my strengths and my weaknesses and I am ok with all of them (doesn’t mean I do not try to work on some off this weaknesses – like being a bit more social). But I thank you for the kind words ;-)

The worst part is that I have the genetic make up to be very fit. When I do sport I build muscle at a very rapid pace. Bulking up like you would not believe it (even fit and with almost no body fat I had to buy larger shirts because my arms/shoulders don’t fit into what would otherwise be my size). The flip side of this coin is that if I do not do lots of sports I get fat. And I build that up rather quickly as well. So you are right, when I start, the progress in the beginning is amazing and a bit intoxicating.  .. I have actually started with 7 weeks to 100 push ups and although I have to do the preliminary program because I am so out of shape (and heavy) the bulking up is already noticeable.

Even worse, when I am doing it (I love weight training and swimming) I love it and even have to pace myself to not train every day. It’s just having the discipline to keep doing it for longer periods. Even being 2 weeks’ sick and not being able to train is enough to quit completely and lose all the progress I made over the last months.

I did not chose sloth in my signature by accident, my personality likes long periods of inactivity and then a short period of intense activity (one off the reasons I want to be FI, so I can be lazy for a few months a year, then throw myself into a project (paid or not) for a couple of months, then go back to being lazy … it’s just that that type of approach does not agree with my physical body: my body needs a disciplined, daily work out regime over a longer time.

Will start the beginners level of hasfit on Monday on top of the push ups.

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 03:16:36 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good video for the MMM type workout?  Something about 15 mins long that is suitable for a beginner and doesn't use any equipment other than a couple of hand weights?  I'd like to give this a try but I know myself well enough to understand if I'm not following a video it's not going to happen.

fdhs_runner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 11:45:48 PM »
-   Public: you know the pathetic, out of shape fat guy sweating very heavy at the gym? Yeah, I would be that guy (cue the Shame, shame scene of Game of Thrones)

That, and the others are just trying to get through their workout, be done, and get out of there. There might be one or two conceited people in there judging (http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/19706-playboy-playmate-dani-mathers-charged-over-fat-shaming-locker-room-picture), but that's about it. That particular judgmental woman is looking at charges and is banned from the gym for life anyway.

I've been fortunate that work provides a gym.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 01:32:54 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good video for the MMM type workout?  Something about 15 mins long that is suitable for a beginner and doesn't use any equipment other than a couple of hand weights?  I'd like to give this a try but I know myself well enough to understand if I'm not following a video it's not going to happen.
I just started the hasfit beginner workout program (http://hasfit.com/beginner-workout-program/). Somebody recommended it in the comments below the article and it's free. I am only two days in so I'll let you know in a week or two how I like it. Conclusion at the moment: man, I am really out of shape! it has video and uses your bodyweight or hand weights for the exercises.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 01:48:35 AM »

That, and the others are just trying to get through their workout, be done, and get out of there. There might be one or two conceited people in there judging (http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/19706-playboy-playmate-dani-mathers-charged-over-fat-shaming-locker-room-picture), but that's about it. That particular judgmental woman is looking at charges and is banned from the gym for life anyway.

I've been fortunate that work provides a gym.
O, it's definitely me being harsh for myself (because I deserve it for being such a lazy ass ;-) I actually really do not care one cent about the opinion of others: I never dress up (except when work demands it and even then I do just enough to avoid getting any remarks from the boss), I now use the girlfriends electric bicycle to go to work (and it's really is a girly bike, side bags with flower imprints lol) without an ounce of shame (it's 20 km each way and a temp job, not going to buy a new electric bike for a temp job and too out of shape to use my regular bike for 20 km, but now I get 160 euro a month to cycle two times 50 minutes a day, yea me!).

EricNYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My blog -- software engineering and various thoughts on life
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 02:51:24 PM »
I know I'm going to sound really un-Mustachian saying this, but I like my gym. I rent in NYC, so it's not really feasible to get a rack and barbell for my own backyard squats and deadlifts. Good motivator to keep my spending low and saving high for FIRE, though!

I'd like to ditch the gym expense, but I really enjoy weightlifting now that I've been doing Stronglifts for a few months -- and it's good for me! So I'm not losing any sleep over my $10/month gym membership. I'm not the most Mustachian person in NYC but it's still a pretty pedestrian expense. :) I think the improvements in my health and attitude produce a value greater than that cost. Sort of like the arguments toward bikes.

As a random postscript: one of my best friends went from obese and chain smoking to benching 215, and he's on his way to hitting 250 on the bench and 350 on deadlift this year. His change in health, attitude, and the way he looks is incredible. My buddy obviously started out in sub-optimal shape, so go for it!

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 02:21:45 PM »
Over the Xmas break I was reminded how much outdoor recreation kicks ass.  I caught up with an old friend I hadn't seen in several years while down visiting in-laws and went backpacking for 4 days (yep, ditched the wife and kid for 4 days and lived to tell the tail).

Slogging up steep hills with 30 lbs on your back gives a killer leg workout without needing to go to "max" ever.  I was actually less sore each night than I was 10 years ago doing the same trails when I used to live there.  Lots of biking and running has built up the legs nicely, no squats required.  Would have liked to do more miles, but we went over the shortest days of the year and my buddy was sporting some serious blisters by day 3.

The trip was rather un-mustachian, as I bought some new shiny kit I really didn't need, but wanted.  So 4 days of hiking probably set me back a good $400 between a new sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent, food, and permit fees.  All of that will get good further use, but I could have done the whole thing with my existing gear (much of it 10-15 years old and rather well used, but still functional).  Being a gear whore is one of my major monetary weaknesses.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 12:12:40 PM »
I just read this this morning and I mostly agree except for one thing.  Weight lifting doesn't give me the same mental health gains as cardio, specifically running outdoors.  I am trying to get back into some weight training, and I like dumbbell compound exercises that exercise the muscle groups that are discussed in the article in a 20 minute intense workout 2-3 times a week.  I am stronger and I get a leaner look than with just cardio alone for sure.  I probably burn a lot more calories too.  But it doesn't help my mood nearly as much as running.  There is something meditative about being outdoors, listening to tunes, moving though space that really works for me. 

As an aside, I just read this article.

http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/1/4/13982272/exercise-inequality-luxury-gyms-cheap-workout-spaces

I definitely think these are a social status/social bonding thing.  I remember when I first heard about crossfit gyms that were charging $200+ a month and thought it was crazy.  Now my town has all these Barre,Orange Theory, Yoga and Soul Cycle places charging $20+ a class.  Insanity. 

Carlin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 10:23:54 PM »
I am a 23 year old female, 128 lbs, and 5 feet 5 inches tall; so not overweight by any means, but definitely not impressive.  I had back surgery in my early teen years and wasn't allowed to do much physical activity, so I am very "skinny fat."  I lack any sort of muscle tone or physical endurance.  I keep attempting to exercise, and was particularly inspired by this MMM post, but I find it incredibly difficult to even get started because I have so little to work with. 
I can only do roughly 10 "girl" pushups, 20 squats or so, maybe a 20 second plank, and a few dozen reverse situps (no regular crunches, because my spine has a metal rod drilled into it).  I can run maybe a quarter of a mile before I get intense side pain.  I do truly enjoy biking, but Indiana is very flat and I get no challenge from it.  Every time I do a few sets of a muscle building exercise, I find myself in intense pain the next day and unable to do any more of the same exercises.  By the time the pain subsides, I have lost any progress.  I feel like I am spinning my wheels.
My question is, what are some things I can do to truly build up muscle and endurance without setting myself back?  I feel so frustrated.  I know I don't eat enough calories, but I am truly never hungry enough to eat more than one meal or so per day, and when I do eat more I immediately gain fat- not muscle.  Please help, I really am trying to work hard here.  I've been far too coddled and I want a more badass and functional body!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:26:25 PM by Carlin »

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 01:22:03 AM »
I am a 23 year old female, 128 lbs, and 5 feet 5 inches tall; so not overweight by any means, but definitely not impressive.  I had back surgery in my early teen years and wasn't allowed to do much physical activity, so I am very "skinny fat."  I lack any sort of muscle tone or physical endurance.  I keep attempting to exercise, and was particularly inspired by this MMM post, but I find it incredibly difficult to even get started because I have so little to work with. 
I can only do roughly 10 "girl" pushups, 20 squats or so, maybe a 20 second plank, and a few dozen reverse situps (no regular crunches, because my spine has a metal rod drilled into it).  I can run maybe a quarter of a mile before I get intense side pain.  I do truly enjoy biking, but Indiana is very flat and I get no challenge from it.  Every time I do a few sets of a muscle building exercise, I find myself in intense pain the next day and unable to do any more of the same exercises.  By the time the pain subsides, I have lost any progress.  I feel like I am spinning my wheels.
My question is, what are some things I can do to truly build up muscle and endurance without setting myself back?  I feel so frustrated.  I know I don't eat enough calories, but I am truly never hungry enough to eat more than one meal or so per day, and when I do eat more I immediately gain fat- not muscle.  Please help, I really am trying to work hard here.  I've been far too coddled and I want a more badass and functional body!
i get the impression you are trying to do type of exercises not suited for your body? Perhaps yoga is better suited for you? My grilfriend enjoys yoga with Adriana on youtube quit a bit and it also benefits here healthwise. With the back surgery in your past I think this is something where it is probably best to consult a professional as to know what type of exercise will benefit your body and which kinds will not. Health is something to not be frugal on. For people with zero physical issues there is no harm done in just trying out stuff and see how it goes, but with back issues I think it would be money well spend to know you are not doing any harm to yourself.

PhoenixHeat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 09:56:09 AM »
So far in 2016 I've moved to 90% bike commuting (~70-80 miles a week), and a month ago I kicked my 2 can a day soda habit.  Then I read this, and felt gut punched.  I fit the bill as a mostly cardio guy that apparently should be ashamed of myself.

Gonna re-evaluate and work on getting more weights in.  I have a dozen year old Bowflex downstairs that needs a lot more use.  I am not a fan of squats as MMM prescribes rather forcefully thanks to two iffy knees that hate deep knee bends, and I have to watch my cranky shoulder.  My hair hurts too <sarcasm>.

As they say:  Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.

I don't know the extent of your knee pain or injuries. I certainly have my own limitations due to old shoulder injury. However I've noticed most people by default don't do squats due to one reason or another ("bad" lower back, knees, etc.) And substitute with some far inferior exercise. I can personally testify how badass squats are for your entire well being. Nothing except deadlifts come close.

Now here's to getting my overweight ass back into the habit of getting under the bar from here on out again. Good luck to you!

The Watchman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 05:52:46 PM »

Firstly, the usual caveat about being wary of seeking advice from random people on the internet.

Second, as a random person on the internet, perhaps you should seek professional advice about the post workout pain? If you want to be functional, which is a great goal, mobility is the first thing you need (mobility>stability>strength when it comes to movement). If you're not, and the post workout pain suggests you're not, that's what you need to address. The professional might even advise you to skip the crunches (lots of folks think they're not that good for you, and that planks are better).

Once you've done that, keep doing those exercises - 20 squats (done with adequate depth) is pretty good. Time to make things harder (do "man pushups" but hands elevated, adding weight to your squats).

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2017, 04:16:39 AM »
Every time I do a few sets of a muscle building exercise, I find myself in intense pain the next day and unable to do any more of the same exercises.  By the time the pain subsides, I have lost any progress.  I feel like I am spinning my wheels.
You need to find a black iron gym, so you can barbell squat, press and deadlift under competent supervision. Have a look here - http://startingstrength.org/index.php/site/coaches - and contact your nearest, if none are close enough contact them anyway as they'll know someone near you.

For very deconditioned people, and/or those with past injuries and surgery etc, something more than bodyweight work will be necessary. It can be done, I train lots of people like you and they feel better in a matter of weeks - their issue never goes, but they do feel better than they did before.

Wilson Hall

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2017, 11:48:29 AM »
For those of you interested in doing cardio outside, do any of your local schools allow public access to their grounds when classes aren't in session? Outdoor tracks are generally made of old tires and therefore easier on the joints than asphalt.